Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Religion

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There isn't an emoticon to describe my disbelief at this statement.

I think people can now safely ignore anything you have to say in this thread.

Probably because you can't refute what I have said.

Yes we're all happy clapping Christains, 7 out of 8 to be precise.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Probably because you can't refute what I have said.

All you've been doing is taking the opinions of posters who are critical of religion, then polarising and deliberately misrepresenting what they've said, and subsequently refuting the straw-man in an egregious attempt to make them look like they're some frothy-mouthed atheistic lunatic. It's the argumentative style of a stropping teenager.

"You hate me don't you!" - "No, I only asked when you'd be back in for dinner"
    Yes we're all happy clapping Christains, 7 out of 8 to be precise.

Point in case.
  • Options
    Point in case.

Ok, then why don't you answer me. You said 7 out of 8 people don't move out of the religion of their parents, yet less than 5% of Christains in the UK go to mass. Explain?
  • Options
    Ok, then why don't you answer me. You said 7 out of 8 people don't move out of the religion of their parents, yet less than 5% of Christains in the UK go to mass. Explain?

People practice their religion in different ways? Mass is dull? Busy life-style? Going to mass frequently feels like being subjugated?

In the 2001 census 71.4% of the population identified themselves as Christian. I believe that figure was larger in 2004 but I can’t be sure off the top of my head. It speaks volumes.
  • Options
    Edit.
  • Options
    People practice their religion in different ways?

Going to mass is the most fundamental part of Christianity, I wouldn't call someone a Christian if they never went to mass.
    In the 2001 census 71.4% of the population identified themselves as Christian. I believe that figure was larger in 2004 but I can’t be sure off the top of my head. It speaks volumes.

And why do you think people do this? It's a part of their identity. I'm sure they'll put their race down as well, doesn't mean they hold racial beliefs in their everyday behaviour.
  • Options
    Going to mass is the most fundamental part of Christianity, I wouldn't call someone a Christian if they never went to mass.
    I thought accepting Jesus Christ as the son of God and the saviour of mankind was the most fundamental part of Christianity?
  • Options

And why do you think people do this? It's a part of their identity. I'm sure they'll put their race down as well, doesn't mean they hold racial beliefs in their everyday behaviour.

You don't necessarily have to go to mass to be a Christian, it's how you live your life and what way you act, not only if you go to mass or not.
  • Options
    I thought accepting Jesus Christ as the son of God and the saviour of mankind was the most fundamental part of Christianity?

Going to mass (the place of God) to worship Jesus is the most fundamental part. Accepting him as a saviour is a given, if you don't then you're not a Christian in the first place.
  • Options
    Shogun wrote: »
    You don't necessarily have to go to mass to be a Christian, it's how you live your life and what way you act, not only if you go to mass or not.

So how can you show your love for Jesus if you don't go? The Church is the home of God, not in your room.
  • Options
    So how can you show your love for Jesus if you don't go? The Church is the home of God, not in your room.

Erm, how about through actual charitable acts and the way you live your life, rather than spending an hour on sunday in a particular building? Are you saying that a Christian living in Saudi Arabia, for example, is not really a Christian because they are forbidden from attending mass?
  • Options
    Mass is particular to Catholicism and High Anglicanism, Low Anglicanism and most other Protestant faiths* would regard the Mass as a way to seperate God from Man and leave Him in the hands of the Clergy.

*not sure of the position of the Orthodox churches - I've a feeling they celebrate mass, but I'm not sure.
  • Options
    Erm, how about through actual charitable acts and the way you live your life, rather than spending an hour on sunday in a particular building? Are you saying that a Christian living in Saudi Arabia, for example, is not really a Christian because they are forbidden from attending mass?

I'm sure they find ways to worship. Plus you're taking this out of context, a proper Christian needs to go to mass to worship the saviour, a proper footballer needs to go training as much as possible to achieve their potential. Kicking a football against the wall now and again doesn't make someone a good footballer, someone who says they're a Christian by doing the odd bit of charity work does not make them a good Christian.
  • Options
    I'm sure they find ways to worship. Plus you're taking this out of context, a proper Christian needs to go to mass to worship the saviour.
    In your opinion. And in someone elses opinion, it's entirely possible for them to be a Christian by accepting Jesus as their saviour and choosing to worship him in a way that they think is appropriate. And last time I checked, the only person with absolute authority on this was God, and I haven't seen him turning up to clarify it any time recently.

I mean in the eyes of the Catholic church, Protestants are worshipping Jesus incorrectly, and so aren't "proper" Christians. The fact remains that the only thing someone needs to do to be Christian, or any other religion, is to claim that they are. And therefore the facts state that 70-odd% of people claim to be Christian, so 70-odd% of people are Christian. They're not necessarily your interpretation of what it means to be Christian, but it doesn't make them any less valid.
  • Options
    I mean in the eyes of the Catholic church, Protestants are worshipping Jesus incorrectly, and so aren't "proper" Christians.

Oh dear. :(
  • Options
    Oh dear. :(

Oh dear, what? Maybe answer the rest of it?
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    *not sure of the position of the Orthodox churches - I've a feeling they celebrate mass, but I'm not sure.
    The way I remember it from school, if you miss it on two consecutive Sundays you're supposed to be excommunicated (i.e. "thrown out" of the religion, not be accepted as a Christian by anyone). In practice though, only the extremely religious people go (often), and they tend to be over 70 nowadays.

As far as I know, any Christian accepts that God is everywhere and knows everything. So you shouldn't need to go to a certain place and/or certain time to show what you believe about him/her, (s)he'll know anyway. Unless you care about showing other people what you think about God, and "you shouldn't boast your faith", right? (boast might be the wrong word, not sure how to translate it)
  • Options
    Oh dear, what? Maybe answer the rest of it?

Oh dear you haven't a clue what you're talking about.

I've answered the rest in reply to another poster. It's a part of their identity, not necessarily any religious beliefs they hold.
  • Options
    Oh dear you haven't a clue what you're talking about.
    Well come on then oh wise one. You haven't even quoted the verse in the bible where Jesus says you are required to go to mass every week in order to worship him.
  • Options
    Well come on then oh wise one. You haven't even quoted the verse in the bible where Jesus says you are required to go to mass every week in order to worship him.

Matt 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it

Of course, the weekly ritual thing is part of dogmatic developments over the centuries. Though the importance of the Church is evident in this quote. I'm sure there are others, I'm not a theologan.
  • Options
    Matt 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it

Of course, the weekly ritual thing is part of dogmatic developments over the centuries. Though the importance of the Church is evident in this quote. I'm sure there are others, I'm not a theologan.

And considering the church important does not necessarily coincide with a formal mass. The church in most people's interpretation refers to the people not the building or the formal organised structures such as the CofE. So respect for the importance of the church could refer to a billion different interpretations, such as the importance of discussion with fellow christians in understanding the bible's teachings, or helping to further the christian message (through whatever means they feel are best). I mean it's pointless to argue what such a quote or theme throughout the bible means, but I think it's important to see that there are infinite interpretations of such messages, and people who follow the teachings of Jesus, no matter how they interpret them, has the right to call themselves Christian.

Of course on the main point, I don't doubt that the census figures are somewhat skewed by people who claim to be Christian because they happened to be Baptised, rather than because they genuinely and actively attempt to live their life by Jesus' teachings. However, if someone when questioned claims they are a Christian, I have no reason to doubt them because they don't formally attend a particular church building.
  • Options
    I'm sure they find ways to worship. Plus you're taking this out of context, a proper Christian needs to go to mass to worship the saviour, a proper footballer needs to go training as much as possible to achieve their potential. Kicking a football against the wall now and again doesn't make someone a good footballer, someone who says they're a Christian by doing the odd bit of charity work does not make them a good Christian.

Are you a Premiership Christian, while xsazx who can't manage to go to church every week, resides in the lowly realms of Conference Christianity?
  • Options
    Doesn't it actually say on the Bible that no church is needed to worship and serve God?

I don't think how many times you go to church or even pray makes a difference on how 'good' a Christian you are.

However I reckon that's precisely what many tyrants, bigots and greedy bastards across the world hope, as they behave like un-christian scumbags all week only to go to church on Sunday and 'cleanse' themselves of all wrongdoing. Franco and Pinochet come to mind...
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote: »
    Doesn't it actually say on the Bible that no church is needed to worship and serve God?

I don't think how many times you go to church or even pray makes a difference on how 'good' a Christian you are.

However I reckon that's precisely what many tyrants, bigots and greedy bastards across the world hope, as they behave like un-christian scumbags all week only to go to church on Sunday and 'cleanse' themselves of all wrongdoing. Franco and Pinochet come to mind...

Yerascrote has decided that his way of being a Christian is the “proper” way and accrues the most Good-Christian points. He’s exhibiting one of the fundamental problems with religion.
  • Options

I know that Jesus didn't take kindly to the temples in his day, but I think that was more to do with their exclusive nature rather than the idea of organised worship of God. Didn't Willem Dafoe and Harvey Keitel torch it in The Last Temptation Of Christ? :p
  • Options
    Are you a Premiership Christian, while xsazx who can't manage to go to church every week, resides in the lowly realms of Conference Christianity?

I'm not a Christian. What are you blabbering about now?
  • Options

Couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    Well, I never thought this thread would go on and on and on when I created it. I only really wanted a bit of help on a uni essay.

Since posting I've written, handed in and had my marked essay returned and I got 76, which I was surprised at.

:thumb: