Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Climate Change

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It is relevant to humans though. Basically, the ozone is a layer of 'stuff' that absorbs very harmful wavelengths of radiation. Some chemicals that we have been putting into the atmosphere (from destruction of fridges, and things I think) react with this layer and nullify it, allowing more of these harmful rays to get through.
    Yes, but the programme was about global warming, not the ozone layer.
    Blagsta wrote: »
    That programme was made by someone with a particular axe to grind against environmentalists.

I hear what you are saying, there is usually a hidden agenda somewhere.

There is a good article on the programme here for anyone whos interested.

http://comment.independent.co.uk/columnists_a_l/dominic_lawson/article2318675.ece

Even if the programme makers did have an axe to grid against the enviromentalists, surely Channel 4 and would not show a programme which was made up? There must be some scientifc fact in this somewhere.

:thumb:
    See my post on page 1
    This makes interesting reading

http://www.climatedenial.org/

Interesting :yes:
    Yes, but the programme was about global warming, not the ozone layer.

Yea, I only mentioned it because someone asked about it.
    Namaste wrote: »
    the UNIPCC is only mentioning human impact because that is what they are there for, to figure out mankind's impact on the planet.

Nothing to do with picking pockets ?

Interesting indeed.

It seems to be more religion than science.

I find that ironic in that the author is attacking the scientific "credentials" of anyone who dares to ask questions.
    Calvin wrote: »
    Before watching the programme, i was a strong believer in climate change being a human problem etc. However after watching the programme, i certainly have some doubts in my mind now.

These academics/ scientists laughed at the idea they were being funded by the oil companies or governements. They were putting their reputations on the line, purely so people could hear there was strong evidence that climate change wasnt a human problem.

All i can say is watch the programme because it was very convincing :D

erm the bulk of research at there contradicts what these people say, actually they say the effects are neglibible compared the human effects of burning fossil fuels and deforestation combined

peer review actually works believe it or not
    this program is comparable to the Tv programs who said MMR was dangerous ie based on studies that have been repeated and show that it was done badly
    Climate change happens naturally. Its been going on for millions of years without the assistance of man.
    However, there are other reasons not to go out and buy a Bentley. First of all, the oil will run out one day, so we must use it sparingly. Secondly, Sulphur and nitrogen oxides created by burning fossil fuels cause acid rain, which is a separate problem entirely.
    there are other reasons not to go out and buy a Bentley.

What about a 4x4 :D
    Climate change happens naturally. Its been going on for millions of years without the assistance of man.
    However, there are other reasons not to go out and buy a Bentley. First of all, the oil will run out one day, so we must use it sparingly. Secondly, Sulphur and nitrogen oxides created by burning fossil fuels cause acid rain, which is a separate problem entirely.

may i ask if you have you read anything on it?

the changes in the past 200 years are best explained by man made CO2 emissions, the sun has an effect recent studies have shown but not to the level purposted on the show last night
    may i ask if you have you read anything on it?

the changes in the past 200 years are best explained by man made CO2 emissions, the sun has an effect recent studies have shown but not to the level purposted on the show last night

Man affects it, and makes it significantly worse, but the climate is constantly changing without man being there burning the fossil fuels and spraying the aerosols. The Greenhouse Effect is entirely natural, but man is just making it worse.

I have half a tree worth of notes on it, don't argue with me (or rather, the IBO, they're a scary bunch...) :grump:.
    Franki wrote: »
    Man affects it, and makes it significantly worse, but the climate is constantly changing without man being there burning the fossil fuels and spraying the aerosols. The Greenhouse Effect is entirely natural, but man is just making it worse.

I have half a tree worth of notes on it, don't argue with me (or rather, the IBO, they're a scary bunch...) :grump:.

i think we both make the same point in different ways there
    i think we both make the same point in different ways there
    Sort of. Except the Greenhouse Effect has nothing (directly) to do with the sun. It's because of the gases and things like that that are up there which absorb the radiation that is reflected from earth and helps to keep the earth warm, rather than (as my teacher *keeps* saying) at the -17 degrees it would be at if the Greenhouse Effect didn't exist naturally.

Orsomething...

yeah climate change occurs naturally. but from one ice age to peak temp and back to ice age takes (give or take) 100,000 years.

that documentary was completly biased and just trying to stir up some shit

edit; i do agree with the second paragraph though.
    drumbeat wrote: »
    yeah climate change occurs naturally. but from one ice age to peak temp and back to ice age takes (give or take) 100,000 years.

that documentary was completly biased and just trying to stir up some shit

edit; i do agree with the second paragraph though.

jsut to add lovely comment from one of the speakers on the show itself
    http://comment.independent.co.uk/commentators/article2359057.ece
    Interesting :yes:

Just a shame the documentary had such a hidden agenda. It would have been interesting to hear some unbiased opposing opinions to the climate change brigade.

Durkin tells scientists to "go and fuck yourself"
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/science/article1517515.ece
    Flat-earther neo-con loon in abusing and bullying behaviour shocker!
    I have never been entirely convinced about man made global warming and this programme has only reinforced that view. Agenda or not, he is right to say that if there's money being supplied, they will find a problem for you to stay in a job with secure funding.
    You haven't actually read any of the links I posted, have you?
    Yes, doesn't necessarily mean I have to agree with it. I have read a lot on this subject and have come to my own conclusions based not only on this but many, many other sources too, from both sides of the argument.
    ghost1845 wrote: »
    if there's money being supplied, they will find a problem for you to stay in a job with secure funding.

I thought a student of Marx would understand and perhaps agree with the political and economic validity of that statement.
    ghost1845 wrote: »
    Yes, doesn't necessarily mean I have to agree with it. I have read a lot on this subject and have come to my own conclusions based not only on this but many, many other sources too, from both sides of the argument.

on the balance of all the evidence and the fact most of the people opposing this have very vested interests, or no care for keeping things in context (if you bothered to the read the letter from the oceanographer who appeared on the tv show) you don't think that we are affecting the overall climate?

like all things in nature it's a giant equilibirum and the huge amount pumped into the atmosphere naturally would generally be counterattacked by photosynthesis from all the plantlife and ocean absorbance. All we are doing is destroying the main biomass that is the rainforests and producing all the extra gases that were originally captured as oil/coal/gas/limestone(which is fossilised sealife in bulk) etc
    This debate is pretty irrelevant to a large degree.

The principle manner in which we have to deal with global warming if we beleive that it is man made is to cut carbon emissions.

But we have to do this anyway because carbon fuel sources are running out and need to be replaced anyway.

So from a policy perspective the objective is clear in the longterm at least, whatever the conclusion on global warming being manmade or not.........
    seeker wrote: »
    Nothing to do with picking pockets ?

Have you ever contributed something to a thread?
    Namaste wrote: »
    Have you ever contributed something to a thread?

On a physiological level the fact that you are quoting me the answer would have to be "yes".

However, I have a sneaky suspicion you are not talking physiological.

If my suspicions prove correct, would you be so kind as to let me know what you mean ? Please :)