Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Your First Job? Worst Job?

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    And best job... well it's this one isn't it? :p
    I've worked as a YMCA archery instructor (first) and as a waitress and cook at Pizza Hut. I think that waitressing might be the worst job, but I prefer cooking.
    Jim V wrote: »
    Worst job, cleaning the bits out of very nasty machines on a Turkey 'farm'

Did you grow up in Norfolk?!

First Job: A christmas elf aged 16. Seriously. I was an elf in Marks and Spencers. It was good fun, i was the supervisor and i got paid £6.50 an hour - which paid for me to go to Amsterdam for NYE that year :D

Worst Job: Working behind a bar in a club. It would have been ok except the management were knobs. We were paid £4.50/hr before midnight, £5/hr after, did 4 hour shifts (starting at 10pm) so they didn't have to pay us for breaks and we were expected to stay behind after work for half an hour to clean down - despite the fact that we weren't getting paid. Also, they reckoned they were supposed to help us get home at 2.30 in the morning and didn't - i ended up walking most of the time.

I lasted 3 months.
    first job - in a local toby carvery as a waitress. the manager was a raging cow and it was crazy busy but the criac was banter-tastic, and the tips were shit hot. i regularly left on a sunday night with 70 quid in my purse. really brought me out of myself as well, having to talk to all sortsa folk.

worst job - last summer, in a bar in the function suite of a hotel. they were really popular for weddings so all summer, i worked every friday and saturday night til 2am, serving booze to a crowd of steaming folk. we had to collect our own glasses, had no glasswasher, just 2 wee sinks, plus the cellar was downstairs from the bar. try hauling a crate of bud up 20 rickety (it was a listed building) stairs in 30 degree heat, 5 times a night. then on sundays i had to work downstairs in the wee public bar that no one knew existed except this local man who was a bit simple. i had to polish the 100 champage flutes from the night before and try to make conversation with joe simpleton for 5 hours. awful.
    paperdoll wrote: »
    first job - in a local toby carvery as a waitress. the manager was a raging cow and it was crazy busy but the criac was banter-tastic, and the tips were shit hot. i regularly left on a sunday night with 70 quid in my purse. really brought me out of myself as well, having to talk to all sortsa folk.

Thats where I worked last summer! Hard work but good tips :D
    First job: Working in a petshop where I accidentedly killed a goldfish. Ahhhhhh

Worst job: Really needed cash so went to a temping agency and did factory work. I lasted a day. An African guy who didn't speak much English decided that he loved me and would follow me around. Scary
    First Job: A christmas elf aged 16. Seriously. I was an elf in Marks and Spencers. It was good fun, i was the supervisor and i got paid £6.50 an hour - which paid for me to go to Amsterdam for NYE that year :D

:crazyeyes What did you have to do?

This thread is making me really nervous about working.
    I've just started my first (proper) job, as a Sales Assistant... Enjoying it so far, but my back/legs/tummy kill by the time I get home. I'm hoping I'll get used to that.