Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Work/life balance

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone else struggling with this?

Its very strange - I pissed away the whole of uni and was a total lazy bastard. Now all of a sudden I'm a fucking work-a-holic! I'm doing ridiculous hours on top of a long commute and even when I get home I just don't seem to be able to switch off.

Don't see my mates very often any more because i'm too tired in the evenings and see the missus on the weekends.

I've thought about quitting but the problem is I'm good at it - when commission time comes i'm going to be making more money than I thought I could do first year out of uni. And while money isn't everything (and is by no means the most important thing to me) because i fucked my degree up I need something on my CV to make up for it - and a year/2 years in this job really would!

Anyone else finding this or have come up against it in the past? Any thoughts or advice?

Comments

• Options
    I have periods with my job, (accounts) I end up doing 50+ hour weeks because its the only way to get everything done. Bearing in mind I run the department and do the work load of 1.5/2 people at the moment its hard going. You just have to get through it on the short term but make sure you see your mates/relax at the weekends ect, or the stress will start to mess your head up, which I've had a lot of recently.
  • Options
    lol know you feel mate, i was a bit of a waster at uni and now it seems life revolves a bit too much around work, i've moved away from all my mates to take this job as well so getting the right balance is tricky, but i knew it wouldn't be easy...

i've thought about quitting as well but i'm doing well and don't think i could find anything better career wise so i'm sticking with it for now, i don't know what advice to give you but one of my favourite quotes is a by a chap called james allen, who says "he who would accomplish little must sacrifice little; he who would accomplish much must sacrifice much"....works for me when i am having second thoughts, just make sure you get the most out of your weekends ay.
  • Options
    **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    Jon_UK wrote:

Its very strange - I pissed away the whole of uni and was a total lazy bastard. Now all of a sudden I'm a fucking work-a-holic! I'm doing ridiculous hours on top of a long commute and even when I get home I just don't seem to be able to switch off.

Hey Jon_UK :wave:

What you say above sounds familiar... I've been known to talk in my sleep about random work stuff, I have a long commute - and hey it's Sunday and I'm on TheSite so probably enuff said ;).

On a more serious note, it's great you're working hard and have set yourself targets, but it sounds like you could be on the verge of burning yourself out.
    Perhaps you could talk to your boss about your progress? If you are reassured that you're doing well then it might take some of the pressure off and you can prioritise without going too far beyond what is expected of you.
    Predictably, here's an article on work/life balance which has some great tips.

Perhaps take some time to really think about what you'd like to achieve this year other than work success. Are there any places you'd like to visit, people you'd like to catch up with etc? If yes, start planning a few things and it will enable you to look forward to things and have an alternative focus.

Hope this helps :)
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies
    **Helen** wrote:
    Hey Jon_UK :wave:

What you say above sounds familiar... I've been known to talk in my sleep about random work stuff, I have a long commute - and hey it's Sunday and I'm on TheSite so probably enuff said ;).

Hello :p :wave: - Yeah, sound like a kindred spirit. I've spent about an hour on the phone today and half hour yesterday sorting things out that fell through from friday!
    **Helen** wrote:
    On a more serious note, it's great you're working hard and have set yourself targets, but it sounds like you could be on the verge of burning yourself out.
    Perhaps you could talk to your boss about your progress? If you are reassured that you're doing well then it might take some of the pressure off and you can prioritise without going too far beyond what is expected of you.
    Predictably, here's an article on work/life balance which has some great tips.

Perhaps take some time to really think about what you'd like to achieve this year other than work success. Are there any places you'd like to visit, people you'd like to catch up with etc? If yes, start planning a few things and it will enable you to look forward to things and have an alternative focus.

Hope this helps :)

Works going really well - I had an appraisal with one of the directors recently and got loads of great feedback and I'm way ahead of the training group I was in.

The problem is that I'm doing 11 hour days, I don't take a lunch break just run out for a sandwhich, and an hours hours commute on either side.

I don't think I'm on the verge of burning out - if anything the opposite. From somewhere in the depths of the lazy, stoner, waster of a student a massive competitive streak has revealed itself and I've actually got a career plan in mind now. Plus i've cut down on the booze and barely ever do drugs any more (although I am smoking cigarettes more).

Just something in the back of my mind is saying "is this really you?" And i definately don't want to turn into some of the pricks at work.

Bah I don't know - it just feels very strange to suddenly be this ball of drive and ambition after 23 odd years of total ambivalence. I do like the idea of setting goals for the year that don't involve work, need to have a think about that.
  • Options
    I have periods with my job, (accounts) I end up doing 50+ hour weeks because its the only way to get everything done. Bearing in mind I run the department and do the work load of 1.5/2 people at the moment its hard going. You just have to get through it on the short term but make sure you see your mates/relax at the weekends ect, or the stress will start to mess your head up, which I've had a lot of recently.

Year end? :p Yeah I don't envy you that.

My job can be very exciting. I love the buzz when I'm about to make a deal or negotiating or trying to sort out problems when things fall through.

Just don't want it to swallow the rest of life up.
  • Options
    Jon_UK wrote:
    Works going really well - I had an appraisal with one of the directors recently and got loads of great feedback and I'm way ahead of the training group I was in.
    Jon_UK wrote:
    I don't think I'm on the verge of burning out - if anything the opposite. From somewhere in the depths of the lazy, stoner, waster of a student a massive competitive streak has revealed itself and I've actually got a career plan in mind now. Plus i've cut down on the booze and barely ever do drugs any more (although I am smoking cigarettes more).

:yippe: to both the above. Not so much the ciggies :razz:
    Jon_UK wrote:
    Just something in the back of my mind is saying "is this really you?" And i definately don't want to turn into some of the pricks at work.

You know, from what you've said here, you sound far too self aware for ^ to happen. Change is expected (or at least it should be) when you leave uni but it doesn't mean you have to lose yourself. So as long as you're thinking and considering these things then I think it means you're alright (hope that makes sense) :)
  • Options
    **Helen** wrote:
    :yippe: to both the above. Not so much the ciggies :razz:

Yeah I know but cigarette breaks are the only breaks i have!!! I need them more than the nicotine!
    **Helen** wrote:
    You know, from what you've said here, you sound far too self aware for ^ to happen. Change is expected (or at least it should be) when you leave uni but it doesn't mean you have to lose yourself. So as long as you're thinking and considering these things then I think it means you're alright (hope that makes sense) :)

Yeah that makes sense. Lets hope you're right.
  • Options
    Jon_UK wrote:
    Year end? :p Yeah I don't envy you that.

My job can be very exciting. I love the buzz when I'm about to make a deal or negotiating or trying to sort out problems when things fall through.

Just don't want it to swallow the rest of life up.

I hate year end. Espically as I have three companies finishing at once this year. Hopefully we should have an extra bod in before the end of the month. I very rarely have a luch break either. How stressful is your commute? I find listing to my MP3 player (and ignoring my phone sometimes) can really help me unwind at the end of the day. Cutting down on the booze has helped me a lot.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Weird spam.

Aaaaanywayyyy ... my work/life balance is atrocious. I am terrible. I work fairly long hours and I should stay longer some nights as I don't get enough done. Then, when I get home, all I do is talk about work. I dream about it lots too :/

I need to find ways to unwind but am struggling with this :/
  • Options
    If you're enjoying the work then its not a problem, but if your only motivation is the extra bit of cash you might earn then you're probably going to burn out quite quickly. When I first joined the firm I work for now there was a lot of work, and I was skint, so I did the overtime, and it was fine for about three months. And then I was so tired I had to take a week on the sick. And for those three months I was absolute hell to live with, flying off the handle at the tiniest thing.

If you're good at dealing with stress then its not so bad, but I'm awful at dealing with stress, and I had the balance all wrong. It sounds like you do too, tbh.
  • Options
    Jon_UK wrote: »
    Anyone else struggling with this?

Don't see my mates very often any more because i'm too tired in the evenings and see the missus on the weekends.

I've thought about quitting but the problem is I'm good at it - when commission time comes i'm going to be making more money than I thought I could do first year out of uni. And while money isn't everything (and is by no means the most important thing to me) because i fucked my degree up I need something on my CV to make up for it - and a year/2 years in this job really would!

Anyone else finding this or have come up against it in the past? Any thoughts or advice?

Know how you feel mate.

I didn't go to uni but pissed around doing not a lot until I was 19 then went into Construction working for a main contractor as a quantity surveyor. Now been with the company for 3 years.

Really got into it and kept taking on more and more responsibility... moving up the ladder very fast within a short space of time. Only problem is I don't seem to ever be able to get away from work now!

I've been working long hours at the office, taking work home at weekends and even when I stop and go out... all I do is think about all the shit I've got to sort out the next day!

I've tried to tell my boss I need someone to take some of the workload off me, but he doesn't listen and keeps piling more on me! It just keeps getting worse!!! I try to prioritise my workload and plan ahead, but I just can't do it all!

I'm on the verge of jacking in and trying things at a different company. But I don't want to leave my colleagues in the shit! It's a real nightmare.

Sorry to rant on!!!

Anyway... in answer to your question Jon, is there anyway you can talk to your boss, maybe get some help or advise?

All the best mate.
  • Options
    This is an old thread, so I'm gonna close it. Feel free to start your own on the same topic JMS.
This discussion has been closed.