Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Still getting cigarette cravings after 4 weeks.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
When is it going to stop. Im really tempted to have a fag now, but its been 4 weeks. I thought the craving to have one would have gone by now.:banghead:

Anybody given up before? How long does it take for the cravings to go?

Cheers

:thumb:

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Calvin wrote: »
    When is it going to stop. Im really tempted to have a fag now, but its been 4 weeks. I thought the craving to have one would have gone by now.:banghead:

Anybody given up before? How long does it take for the cravings to go?

Cheers

Most I have ever managed to give up for was 3 days :blush:
    It is really hard work, so I feel for you mate. Are you using patches or anything?

I'm trying to give up again at the end of the month and I really wanna do it this time!!
    i'm still craving a smoke and it's been 65 days, and fags are supposedly more addictive so who knows...
    I smoke about 2 fags a day and I never really crave anymore than that. I'll only smoke more when I'm pissed.
    JamesZero wrote: »
    Are you using patches or anything?

Just willpower mate. And strangely enough drinking anything alcholic when i get a craving :) Usually alcohol makes me want one more, but this time it seems to be helping :yes:

Its hasnt been that hard until the last week, when it really started to kick in. Thought it would be ok now. Im so tempted to have a crafty one though just to get rid of the feeling :yes: But i know if i buy 10 I will smoke 10!

I have been hopeless when i tried to give up in the past. I think my previous record was about 4 days. I never really wanted to give up before though. This time i do. :D
    Buying Nicotine gum might help?

Although if you have been without it for 4 weeks, putting Nicotine into your body might not be the best step!

Dont give in and just have that "one" though... you will be back smoking in no time!
    The nicotine has long gone, dont buy patches or gum or any of that sort of thing. It is no longer a chemical addiction and they will not help.

Cravings will gradually fade, it just takes time, there isnt any set time limit for them.
    I'm in the process of trying to quit, have only had 2 since sunday and that was last night when i was drunk, their very hard to quit.

Sitting here now thinking of going to buy some but i'm not going to, have to resist.

This is the longest i've ever went, used to smoke 10+a day and anywhere from 10-40 at weekends if i'm out all night, i'm using patches.
    Smoked 2 today. :(

At least it's a severe cutdown and eventually i'll quit for good, it's hard though if your going to be smoking joints.
    Shogun wrote: »
    Smoked 2 today. :(

At least it's a severe cutdown and eventually i'll quit for good, it's hard though if your going to be smoking joints.

Temptation got the better of you? :yes:

I nearly had one today, was in the pub for lunch today having a pint, thats when i really want a fag.

One of my mates from uni, used to smoke 20 a day until he quit, he only smokes joints now. So it is possible. Thats the position I want to be in.

Just keep trying :thumb:
    Yea it got the better of me, see i bought a packet, that's the problem.
    Haha picture you with the patches.

I find cigarettes quite easy to not smoke during the day, it's when I'm drinking that's the problem.
    Yea it got the better of me, see i bought a packet, that's the problem.

Yeah i got the same problem. Throw the rest of the pack away :)

I know i never did. I used to say "i will quit after this pack" :yes:

Whats the longest you have gone without?

Yerascrote wrote: »
    I find cigarettes quite easy to not smoke during the day, it's when I'm drinking that's the problem.

I used to be like that at first, then i started having a crafty fag during lunch break etc.

But when im drinking is the worst, especially if there are others around smoking, soon as i see someone else light up it reminds me :D
    Calvin wrote: »

But when im drinking is the worst, especially if there are others around smoking, soon as i see someone else light up it reminds me :D

Drinking IS the worst !! All willpower parachutes outta the window.
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Haha picture you with the patches.

Good lad.

Longest 9 days without one at all.

Had 4 cigs all week so far, quite good i think considering the amount i used to smoke.

It was rather hard not to smoke when i was drunk, only had 2 though which was quite good.
    The most annoying thing about quitting for me is the fact that i do actually love the act of smoking. It'd be so much easier if it was just me being addicted to nicoteine but actually disliked smoking.

Still, been 10 days since i decided i'd stop smoking after smoking too much after a weekend and apart from the minging cough from clearing my lungs of all the built up crap, it's all good, even when i have been drinking.
    Smoked 6 last night when i was drunk but this morning when i woke up i threw the other ones away.

Just have to play it by year and see how things go.
    Smoked 6 last night when i was drunk but this morning when i woke up i threw the other ones away.

Throw them in my direction :D
    Going out on the drink tonight so hopefully will try and stay away from them,is sometimes easier said than done though.
    Going out on the drink tonight so hopefully will try and stay away from them,is sometimes easier said than done though.

Dont take a lighter. :) It is easier said than done, but just try and remeber whos in charge; you or the fags :D
    I'd just get a lighter off mates so that's really pointless.

When i'm drunk it's harder to say i'm in charge, i don't really have a problem not smoking any when i'm sober.
    I have just had a big Sunday Lunch, and im so tempted to have one ciggerette :yes:
    Really want a cigarette now, missed flight to hong kong by 15 minutes and next flight isn't til tomorrow evening >_<
    Under the circumtances i think i would have smoked a whole packet. And its too tempting going through duty free, seeing all the cheap ciggies.

Just get pissed and hope it takes you mind off things :)

lol, must have read my mind, currently working my way through a bottle of cider :D
    So much for trying to stay off them, after the weekend there i'm back smoking but have cut down a good bit.

Gonna just keep trying and sometime i'll eventually quit them.
    So much for trying to stay off them, after the weekend there i'm back smoking but have cut down a good bit.

Gonna just keep trying and sometime i'll eventually quit them.

How many have you cut down to?

Just keep trying, i found it harder to quit when i had made a big point about quitting. Some of my sucessful attempts at quitting were when i hadn't planned to quit. :yes:

It was when i was busy all day, and didnt really think about smoking. Its only when im bored i start thinkin thinking about ciggies :D

BUTT IN!!!

Sorry to but in. I have'a question. What does more damage to your health? Smoking rollies or packed cigarettes? How many a day is bad?
    Box wrote: »
    BUTT IN!!!

Sorry to but in. I have'a question. What does more damage to your health? Smoking rollies or packed cigarettes? How many a day is bad?

Rollies are better for you... they dont contain as many shitty chemicals and pre packed ones.

1 Cigarette a day is bad! lol
    But if you mean what is more serious... I would say 10 a day is probably average for a full time smoker...
    20 a day is when things start to get heavy. I'm glad I'm well off the 20 a day now!
    JamesZero wrote: »
    Rollies are better for you... they dont contain as many shitty chemicals and pre packed ones.

1 Cigarette a day is bad! lol
    But if you mean what is more serious... I would say 10 a day is probably average for a full time smoker...
    20 a day is when things start to get heavy. I'm glad I'm well off the 20 a day now!

:yes:

I never got to the 20 a day level, execpt for a few stressful days at the begining of the year :D . Usually I would smoke about 6/7 a day.

I think its really hard to not increase the amount you smoke each day. Guess thats the addictive nature of them :D The less i had to do the more i would smoke.