Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Incest...sick?

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I think this is such a sad situation. In this particualar case I think that they should be left alone to get on with their lives. To be honest I was more discusted by the fact that their children have all been taken away, I really feel that this is the worst part of the situation and far more damaging to the children than their relationship.
    Incest is not banned because of bullying, it is banned because of issues with genetics.
    So you would support banning anyone with a significantly increased chance of passing genetic disorders onto their children from having children then?
    People being bullied for it is something that happens though. If you're talking about bullying in general, I totally agree people should not give in to bullies; the people committing the bullying need a change of attitude.

However, even though it is being tackled in schools and rightly so, these children are still likely to suffer a stigma.

But it's a completely different issue. The potential for bullying as a result of allowing certain actions should have absolutely no influence on whether it should be allowed or not.
    I have to agree with pill'ed. There is a scienctific basis for there being a law against incest; it's not healthy to have all your genes from the same pool.

Are you in favour of banning disabled people from procreating? If not, why not?

The whole idea of banning two consenting adults from doing what they want is preposterous, to be quite honest. All it does is send a man to prison, and have his kids taken away, because he dares to sleep with the woman he loves. Legalising incest won't make any of us go and sleep with our siblings, so why should it banned?
    Their children definitely shouldn't have been taken away from them, I really can see no reason for that. They weren't being abused (as far as the story says) or anything like that and so they should not have been taken away.

But children from an incestuous relationship is inbreeding! And imo it's totally different from disabled people reproducing ... I don't really see how the two can be compared. No doubt someone will enlighten me on that soon though.

Incestuous relationships, fine, whatever they want to do but I don't think that they should "be allowed" to have children from one. No doubt someone will point out to me here that it's their human right to have children.

In this case the kids are already there, they shouldn't have been taken away.
    But children from an incestuous relationship is inbreeding! And imo it's totally different from disabled people reproducing ... I don't really see how the two can be compared. No doubt someone will enlighten me on that soon though.

Basically because whenever we ask why people object to inbreeding, they state an increased chance of genetic disorders is the reason. So the comparison is made on those grounds. Other than that, I can't see any reason to object other than wanting to enforce your idea of what is right and wrong on other people.

Many disabilities are genetic, and they are passed on by disabled people on to their offspring. Many genetically deaf people will end up with deaf children, and so on. If the concern is the risk of genetic defect that it makes sense to also prevent disabled people from procreating.

The amount of people who would willingly have sexual relations with a parent or sibling is tiny, so the law is pretty much pointless. They could legalise it tonight and I'm not going to go and sleep with my sister, and I doubt you'd go and sleep with your brother just because the law lets you. Equally, if you and your brother were determined to have sexual relations, the law wouldn't stop you from doing so.
    Legalise it then, you are quite right it's not going to make me want to sleep with my brother.
    What is the law surrounding incest? I was told by my tutor yesterday that it's not illegal, it's just not legal to marry.
    go_away wrote: »
    What is the law surrounding incest? I was told by my tutor yesterday that it's not illegal, it's just not legal to marry.

They're not allowed to marry, but then gay people have only just got that right for God's sake. But I'm not sure what the deal is in this country with having kids. I imagine it's illegal too, but I don't know how they deal with it when it happens.
    Incest is not banned because of bullying, it is banned because of issues with genetics.

It is? I would've thought it was banned because it is considered "wrong".

Genetic issues aren't inherent, even in children with parents who are directly related.
    go_away wrote: »

Incest in Britain remains forbidden, even for step parents, step kids, and adoptive parents.
    Makoto wrote: »
    Incest in Britain remains forbidden, even for step parents, step kids, and adoptive parents.

The step-sibling one is a grey area though. I know that you are allowed to marry your step brother/sister but I think there are some rules about whether you've grown up together. Otherwise you could get a girlfriend, introduce the parents to each other, they could hit it off and get married, and you'd be banned from going out any more.
    In my opinion its disgusting.
    But not worthy of a criminal offence.

However, Pill'ed is right. The amount of teasing the kids will get will be huge - however, better than having a smackhead hooker and a man utd fan for parents....just.