Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Incest...sick?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/6424937.stm

What do you think? I suppose they never grew up together so it's not quite the same...but I still think it's wrong.

Comments

• Options
    they didnt grow up together, but when they fell in love they knew they were brother and sister.

it would be different if they didnt know they were related at the time, when they started going out.

but yeah, not a good thing.
  • Options
    i'm in two minds about this. On the one hand, i think that they should be left alone to live their lives. On the other is the fact that it is illegal and they have brought children into it. The father mentions that his children are not disabled and then mentions that one is epileptic and the other has learning disabilities. I just feel sorry for the children.
  • Options
    The father mentions that his children are not disabled and then mentions that one is epileptic and the other has learning disabilities. I just feel sorry for the children.

:yes: Plus they're going to be brought up into a world where this kind of thing is considered sick and disgusting, and knowing that them and their parents are part of it.
  • Options
    no victim no crime imo.
  • Options
    They want the law changed so that brothers and sister can happily be in love and have sex and give birth to retarded children? Fantabulous.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    no victim no crime imo.

Thats what i think tbh.

These sort of cases are the hidden face of incest. Still all the taboo, but its not actually that uncommon in relations who havent been brought up together.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/weekend/story/0,3605,956454,00.html
  • Options
    KHSS, if we brought in a law saying that disabled people cannot have sex (they might have "retarded" children too) there would be an outcry.

The real victims here are the three children stolen from their parents by the state. If they want to have sex and procreate then let them- what difference does it make to anyone else? No victim, no crime.
  • Options
    minimi38 wrote: »
    no victim no crime imo.

Well that's just it though, the children are the victims.
  • Options
    Are they? Why?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Are they? Why?

Because they will be teased and bullied at school because their parents are brother and sister. It may not be fair but in our society, incest is seen as disgusting and wrong and that's what they will be led to believe.
  • Options
    the children have two parents who are together, love each other and love their children.

Thats a hell of a lot more than a lot of children have.

Why are they victims?
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    Because they will be teased and bullied at school because their parents are brother and sister. It may not be fair but in our society, incest is seen as disgusting and wrong and that's what they will be led to believe.

Everyone gets teased and bullied at school.
    Its no reason to remove children from their family.
  • Options
    I'd have to echo again the no victim, no crime stance.

I'm not convinced that their child's epilepsy is remotely linked to the fact that they're brother and sister, especially being a prem. As for the other child's special needs... well we'd need to have clarity on the nature of those special needs before deducing that they were a direct result of genetics. Regardless, as the father rightly said bringing in laws about who can and can't have children because of potential genetic defects is a very slippery slope and not something that I'm sure anyone would be happy to see happen.

I don't know. It makes me feel uneasy and I don't think it's "right" - so to speak - or something that should be encouraged but... I don't know, I do feel very sorry for them having their children taken away (and the children themselves, of course) and being ostracised to such extremes :(
  • Options
    Because they will be teased and bullied at school

Using that logic we should create a law banning red-haired people from mating.

There is no good reason for having a law banning incest.

The only victims here are the children who have been stolen by the state because of a pathetic law. That's the real heart-breaker, and those who stole the children from their parents are the ones who should be in the slammer.
  • Options
    Everyone gets teased and bullied at school.
    Its no reason to remove children from their family.

Yeah but this is different, it will scar them for life. They will be led to become disgusted and ashamed of themselves and their parents. It isn't fair but that's what will happen with the way our society views this kind of thing.

I'm not saying I agree with the children being taken away from their parents. Now that it has happened, they should be able to at least keep their kids.
    I'm just saying it should have never happened in the first place.
  • Options
    Yeah but this is different, it will scar them for life. They will be led to become disgusted and ashamed of themselves and their parents. It isn't fair but that's what will happen with the way our society views this kind of thing.

Will it? How do you know? Have you asked them? Do you have a magic ball?

Bullying isn't a good enough reason to have the law, and nor is genetics, otherwise we should have laws banning fat people, ginger people, disabled people and people with big noses from having kids.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Using that logic we should create a law banning red-haired people from mating.

Yes but this is different. I was only at school myself 3 years ago and these days, being bullied for having red hair/being fat e.t.c isn't taken that seriously by most people. It's kind of a "I have red hair/I'm fat. So what?" attitude.
    Incest is actually looked down upon, not just by kids in school. These kids are going to be looked down on and treated badly by people because of this their whole lives. I'm not saying it's right, because it isn't. It is unfair, but it's the way it is.
  • Options
    Kids will always find something to pick on, be it arbitrary or not.

Surely if the fact that they may get picked on was a justifiable reason to split parents and take away children then kids with two mothers or fathers should be removed from the family home - undoubtedly they're picked on too for something that is more "serious" than ginger hair or their weight.

I'm sure that - if you wished - you could form many arguments for taking them away from their parents but I don't think school bullying stands up to much scrutiny.
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »

I'm sure that - if you wished - you could form many arguments for taking them away from their parents but I don't think school bullying stands up to much scrutiny.

But I'm not arguing for a reason for them to be taken away from their parents. I don't think they should be taken away from their parents, no one has the right to take a child away from their parents, for whatever reason.
    I'm saying that they shouldn't have had children with eachother in the first place, it isn't fair on the kids.
  • Options

how the hell do you know that???
  • Options
    interesting, i found this earlier. In english atm we're doing tis a pity she's a whore and debating about incest. I think in alot of cases they don't actually grow up together?
  • Options
    But I'm not arguing for a reason for them to be taken away from their parents. I don't think they should be taken away from their parents, no one has the right to take a child away from their parents, for whatever reason.
    I'm saying that they shouldn't have had children with eachother in the first place, it isn't fair on the kids.

Well in an ideal world, they wouldnt have been brother and sister, but you cant help who you fall in love with. Its completely consensual on both sides, they love each other. what the hell has it got to do with anyone else.

Most cases of incest involve abuse and coercian, and thats what should be concentrated on. This doesnt involve either, so the state should stay out of it.
  • Options
    how the hell do you know that???

I don't know, but I'm sure it would if I was in their shoes.
  • Options
    Love > Law
  • Options

Then which crime are they the victims of, and who is committing the crime? You seem to think it's the parents. Personally, I'd place the blame on those doing the bullying.

The only reasonable argument against this would be the increased likelyhood of genetic defects. But then it would be hypocritical to allow any other mentally or physically disabled person to have children. Imo, unless you take the same stance as Hitler on disabilities, then you can't claim that any consenting couple should be denied the right to have children.
  • Options
    Yes but this is different. I was only at school myself 3 years ago and these days, being bullied for having red hair/being fat e.t.c isn't taken that seriously by most people. It's kind of a "I have red hair/I'm fat. So what?" attitude.
    Incest is actually looked down upon, not just by kids in school. These kids are going to be looked down on and treated badly by people because of this their whole lives. I'm not saying it's right, because it isn't. It is unfair, but it's the way it is.

I have to agree with pill'ed. There is a scienctific basis for there being a law against incest; it's not healthy to have all your genes from the same pool. And these children will suffer the stimga of having their mum and dad being brother and sister for the rest of their lives. And that kind of stigma isn't on a par with something like having red hair, that's almost a fashion! This is something which has has been drummed into people as being 'wrong' and has even made it to law.

This story is particularly sad because they have four children, three of which have been taken into care, and in general I can't imagine anything much worse that having your children taken away from you. However, they must have known the law before entering into a relationship. And the law can't be customised for individual cases, it would just create double standards.

I don't mean to sound harsh, because I do feel for their situation. They would have never seen each other as siblings, only lovers, so it wouldn't feel 'wrong' at all to them.
  • Options
    Why exactly do children get defects if they're parents are brother & sister?

TBH, I don't see the problem here. They're not harming anyone and they (IMO) haven't done anything wrong.

The child may well get bullied, but what's to say that if their parents weren't brother & sister, the children won't still get bullied? Children will find other things to bully others about.
  • Options
    I have to agree with pill'ed. There is a scienctific basis for there being a law against incest; it's not healthy to have all your genes from the same pool. And these children will suffer the stimga of having their mum and dad being brother and sister for the rest of their lives. And that kind of stigma isn't on a par with something like having red hair, that's almost a fashion! This is something which has has been drummed into people as being 'wrong' and has even made it to law.
    So the solution to stopping the bullying and stigma that goes with it is to ban the initial act, rather than change the attitudes of the people committing the bullying?
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Why exactly do children get defects if they're parents are brother & sister?

They dont.

If people inbreed for too long, then any weaknesses in the gene pool wont be diluted, as we see when people inbreed dogs to get good pedigrees or to get certain colours etc, and then you end up with a higher chance of having puppies with certain inherited conditions. You used to get it a lot many years ago with the royal family inbreeding so as not to "weaken the royal gene pool" but they ended up with a lot of sickly kids after a while and a predilection to haemophilia (I think)

It doesnt mean that if you shag your sister you will have a deformed baby, but if your family consistently interbred only with each other, then its not likely to be a good idea. As a one off, theres unlikely to be any problem.
  • Options
    So the solution to stopping the bullying and stigma that goes with it is to ban the initial act, rather than change the attitudes of the people committing the bullying?

Incest is not banned because of bullying, it is banned because of issues with genetics.

People being bullied for it is something that happens though. If you're talking about bullying in general, I totally agree people should not give in to bullies; the people committing the bullying need a change of attitude.

However, even though it is being tackled in schools and rightly so, these children are still likely to suffer a stigma.