Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Size 0

Comments

• JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Marilyn famously had a 36-23-36 figure, which would indeed make her a size 12.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Agree that the shop sizing is a major issue. Wish they'd stop making clothes bigger so people feel better about themselves. :rolleyes:

I knd of agree, my firdt post here was about not being able to buy a pair of trousers that fit, because they were all too big. On the other hand though, the average size has gone up, so if clothes stayed the same size then average sized women would have trouble buying clothes, which I sort of think (my own shopping experience aside) would be worse, much worse.
    Blah wrote: »
    As for the sizing thing...i can sometimes fit into size 6 and 8's in asda and other places. Yet im a size 12.

Sizing is really fucked up and it pisses me off. Why cant a size 12 be a size 12, and a size 6 be exactly what it is.

:yes: I have a size 6 top from Bay Trading which fits me really well yet I'm a size 12.

Still, I don't mind wearing a size 6 top :D
    LadyJade wrote: »
    Marilyn famously had a 36-23-36 figure, which would indeed make her a size 12.

yep and no one complained then that she was too curvy i think she had a gorgeous figure . fair play if people are naturally thin but people who starve and over work themselves just to fit themselves into a size 0 its just not natural.
    :yes: I have a size 6 top from Bay Trading which fits me really well yet I'm a size 12.

Still, I don't mind wearing a size 6 top :D

which is exactly why they do it.....they should bring in sizing regulations. Shops making their own sizes totally goes against the whole point of sizes.
    There's an article in G2 today about how this whole debate was going on even as far back as the 1920s - it has an article in it from 1924 that talks about women dieting excessively to fit in with 'fashion'. More humorous is the fact that the fashion for wearing hats was a big debate as well because so many women passed out from heatstroke (:lol: ).

I think the media is partly to blame, but it also has a lot to do (in my opinion) with education. I don't think magazines 'spark' anorexia etc. as people like to think they do. Eating disorders arise from a complex set of issues that combine to form a negative attitude toward food. Maybe photos of uber-skinny women do encourage people to try to lose weight, but the ones who do themselves damage are those who have low self-esteem issues already and have had negative experiences attached to food in other ways.

The rest of the 'get-skinny-quick' crew need to be taught about nutrition and self-respect and to have a good slap round the cheekbone for being so materialistic and shallow.
    There's an article in G2 today about how this whole debate was going on even as far back as the 1920s - it has an article in it from 1924 that talks about women dieting excessively to fit in with 'fashion'. More humorous is the fact that the fashion for wearing hats was a big debate as well because so many women passed out from heatstroke (:lol: ).

:yes:

Women harming themselves in the name of fashion is not a new thing (corsets, anyone?). The media have just jumped on it in such a fashion because it sells papers.

There are women who are naturally a size 4. I've known people like this - short and in proportion, or with a tiny bone structure. And I think it's pretty offensive to go on and on about how unattractive and unhealthy they are. Fact is that anyone at their natural (healthy!) size can look good, whether that's a size 4, or a size 18. And for that reason, it's good that the shops have options.

Only I've been a size 4, and you still can't get clothes to fit, cause the size 4s are too big. Funny, that.

I'm now a size 6/8 in modern sizes, and sometimes still struggle to find clothes small enough, even though I'm now a healthy weight, and a fairly normally sized woman. My verdict on the size 0 debate? It's all hype.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    kaffrin wrote: »
    Women harming themselves in the name of fashion is not a new thing (corsets, anyone?).
    And I hear some still wear these things. And other stuff too, I won't get started on this. :mad:
    Ballerina wrote: »
    which is exactly why they do it.....they should bring in sizing regulations. Shops making their own sizes totally goes against the whole point of sizes.

i agree and i think that there should be the same sizes for the U.K and the U.S for example a size 4 over there should be a size 4 over here ect
    When I see one of these size zero models, whether it be in a newspaper, magazine, or on the TV, I just think "yuck!". It just doesn't look very healthy to me. I suspect most men agree with me. I have yet to hear a single man say "I love these size zero models". A girl with curves not only looks healthier and sexier, but you can have a lot more fun with them in more ways than one!
    My bfs friend is tryin to get his girlfriend down to a size four she is already a 6 dont know if it suits her or not as ive never seen her so it may suit her but then again it may not
    luvmeright wrote: »
    My bfs friend is tryin to get his girlfriend down to a size four she is already a 6 dont know if it suits her or not as ive never seen her so it may suit her but then again it may not
    Without meaning to be rude, tell the bastard to shove his demands up his arse. No man should ever put pressure on his girlfriend to lose weight.
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    When I see one of these size zero models, whether it be in a newspaper, magazine, or on the TV, I just think "yuck!".

I love the way that people think that if people are skinny/underweight then people can flag up their weight and such negative manners, but if you sat here and said 'when i see girls that are a size 18 i just think yuck' you would be stepping on some toes and all hell would break lose.

Eva lonoria is a size about a 0 and she's got a fab body, hell i don't know what size kate moss is but i think she looks fine, not emancipated or ill, where as nicole richie does look to thin and unhealthy. But each to their own or whatever, some people are naturally slim and if they are not starving themseleves to look that way then i don't see a problem with it.
    Without meaning to be rude, tell the bastard to shove his demands up his arse. No man should ever put pressure on his girlfriend to lose weight.

Well with the exception of fighting obesity, and that primarily for her benefit as well.

I agree, i am yet to ever hear of any guy desire a size 0 girl. Id be scared that she would break!
    i agree and i think that there should be the same sizes for the U.K and the U.S for example a size 4 over there should be a size 4 over here ect

Only the US or do you think there should be a worldwide standard?
    olaola wrote: »
    I agree, i am yet to ever hear of any guy desire a size 0 girl. Id be scared that she would break!

Loads and LOADS of guys like/dont mind skinny women.

You may all deny it on here or in front of other women for fear of getting a slap, but I had soooooo much more male attention when i was at my skinniest, and I was never a size 4

wtf? i'd like to see him starve himself down to a 4, the sick fuck

You may all deny it on here or in front of other women for fear of getting a slap, but I had soooooo much more male attention when i was at my skinniest, and I was never a size 4

I have to agree with this one. I'm somewhere between a 6 and an 8, or a 4 in Miss Selfridges but then they make their clothes MASSIVE, and I get less attention than when I was skinnier about a year or so ago. I'm sure other things factor into itof course.

It could have been because back then I was pretty toned - I worked out regularly where as now I don't exercise at all. For all those who think it's "disgusting" please put it into prospective. I too think Nicole Ritchie looks ill but you have to remember that she has lost an incredible amount of weight over a short period of time to get that thin and it's probably not the size that her body would be naturally. I looked perfectly healthy when I was skinnier, and dare I say more healthy due to the fact I was toned.
    A lot of it is about vanity sizing, I'm sure.

Wrong as it may be, I would rather be a size 0 than the size I am now.

:yes:

My boyfriend went out with a girl with a tiny frame, she used to buy clothing from the children's section, twas never a problem. I know he would find me less attractive if I was ever a size 12 or more (pregnancy excluded) but he'd get less stick for saying he doesn't like skinny women rather than curvier ones.

I'm sure a fair few people here would say I must look 'unhealthy' and 'disgusting' because my hip bones and ribs protrude (I eat 6 times a day and do weight training before anyone asks). Then again, I have F cup breasts so fall somewhere into the realm of having curves too. Gosh, ain't it confusing...
    If people are naturally skinny or have lost weight gradually and they do not look ill, then fine.
    But I have seen these Pro Ana websites that show these skin and bone models and celebrities and they call them 'thinspiration'. They tell people to aspire to be like them. I find it wrong how someone can do that to people, especially seeing as the majority of the people that go to these sites are teens. I had to do a presentation on this not so long back and looking at some of the pictures actually made one person throw up. :yuck:

It has always been people involved with the Media or who have some other type of power that have wanted women like this and perpetuated this way of life.

I have no problems with natural looking women whatever their size but skin and bones is not a good look, no matter what people say. If it naturally happens then it can't be helped but those who starve themselves for it are not on the right side of the sane/insane line.

Give me a natural woman over an unnatural skin and bones woman any day.

Tried that when you-know-who was having a go about my weight last year, dosen't fucking work, if they think your fat they think your fat. Saying "I'm not having sex with you again until you lose weight" is a one-way ticket to dumpsville.
    Give me a natural woman over an unnatural skin and bones woman any day.

But what is 'natural'? You kind of fall into the trap of creating your own norm, influenced by going against what the fashion world considers desirable. While I don't agree with women starving themselves and doing God knows what to try to lose weight, I similarly don't agree with this notion that women who fit someone's ideal of a healthy weight is 'natural' and anyone who falls out of it is somehow unnatural or unhealthy. Last time I looked, we're all human, I bet I look pretty unnatural with a bony frame and big breasts. I remember M&S trying out an ad a few years ago, in a bloody patronising manner of a size 16 woman stripping off, running up a hill and screaming at the top of the lungs that she's 'normal'. It wasn't much of a success in marketing terms.
    It has always been people involved with the Media or who have some other type of power that have wanted women like this and perpetuated this way of life.

It makes money. If you're not telling a woman she's too fat and she must buy these products to diet, then she has too much body hair that needs removing, or need to protects against wrinkles in her 20s so buy this cream, or buy the latest shoes, or have the latest bag. Capitalising from insecurities is nothing new, why do you think women's magazines rewrite the same hash week in week out?
    I find it wrong how someone can do that to people, especially seeing as the majority of the people that go to these sites are teens.

A lot of pro-ana/mia sites are set up by teens for teens. Sadly it's supply/demand, and when one site goes, ten pop up in its place.
    No man should ever put pressure on his girlfriend to lose weight.

Why not?
    ghost18 wrote:
    I have no problems with natural looking women whatever their size but skin and bones is not a good look, no matter what people say.

Extremes of weight rarely are- having more chins than a Chinese phone book isn't a very appealing look either. But few people are in the extremes, which is why they are not appealing.

But with the changes in sizing a size 0 girl doesn't have to be an anorexic- a size 0 was probably a size 6/8 20 years ago.

I wouldn't say that I preferred skinny girls (my wife definitely has hips and boobies) but the abuse handed out to slender girls is not good. Girls generally look best at the size they are meant to be, and some girls have small waists and small boobs and look fucking hot for it. Equally some girls have big hips and big boobs and look fucking hot for it.

The media go on about slender women because it is something that most women cannot be, and therefore its an excellent way of preying on insecurity. A lot of women could starve themselves until they were 70 and still not be slender.
    go_away wrote: »
    But what is 'natural'? You kind of fall into the trap of creating your own norm, influenced by going against what the fashion world considers desirable. While I don't agree with women starving themselves and doing God knows what to try to lose weight, I similarly don't agree with this notion that women who fit someone's ideal of a healthy weight is 'natural' and anyone who falls out of it is somehow unnatural or unhealthy. Last time I looked, we're all human, I bet I look pretty unnatural with a bony frame and big breasts. I remember M&S trying out an ad a few years ago, in a bloody patronising manner of a size 16 woman stripping off, running up a hill and screaming at the top of the lungs that she's 'normal'. It wasn't much of a success in marketing terms.

My definition of Natural is someone who doesn't look ill because they have forced themselves to be that skinny. That is a very broad range of people who I would consider natural.
    Is the boney frame and big breasts the way you are normally without forcing yourself to be like that?
    It makes money. If you're not telling a woman she's too fat and she must buy these products to diet, then she has too much body hair that needs removing, or need to protects against wrinkles in her 20s so buy this cream, or buy the latest shoes, or have the latest bag. Capitalising from insecurities is nothing new, why do you think women's magazines rewrite the same hash week in week out?

Yes but you'd think that they'd have the counterbalance in place to say that these women are dangerously and unnaturally skinny. Because this counterbalance isn't there more and more people each year try and starve themselves to become this ideal women as portrayed by the catwalks (not for much longer, Goddesses and Gods be praised), magazines and the media. If they are willing to tell people what they should be, then they should have the decency and responsibility to inform people about what they shouldn't be.
    A lot of pro-ana/mia sites are set up by teens for teens. Sadly it's supply/demand, and when one site goes, ten pop up in its place.

They shouldn't be legal in the first place though. They make many people a year into bulemics and anorexics and they call it a Lifestyle choice.
    It makes me so angry that the governments of the world and website providers don't do anything to stop it.:mad: They bury their heads in the sand and ignore the problems. And while they do this the problem will only get worse.
    There is a difference between being naturally skinny and doing it deliberately. Naturally skinny girls have tiny bone frames, very small hips and are straight up and down. If you have an hourglass/apple/pear...any shape apart from banana, then you're not built to be skinny.
    Is the boney frame and big breasts the way you are normally without forcing yourself to be like that?

Well, I wouldn't call it force, but it's part of my lifestyle where I'm currently doing weight training. If left to my own devices, I get wobbily, a size 10, but wobbily nonetheless, and I'd rather be leaner with more muscle and less fat. But do you think people by the pool would think that if they saw me? I know of someone, who before she had a child was a UK size 4, and was naturally like that. That didn't stop people in the street commenting that she needs to eat/can they feed her etc. It's equally as hurtful as yelling to an overweight person 'get to the gym love' etc
    If they are willing to tell people what they should be, then they should have the decency and responsibility to inform people about what they shouldn't be.

If you're the editor of a magazine, then it's not up to you to tell the public what's decent or responsible. It doesn't sell magazines.
    They shouldn't be legal in the first place though. They make many people a year into bulemics and anorexics and they call it a Lifestyle choice.
    It makes me so angry that the governments of the world and website providers don't do anything to stop it.

As I said, they wouldn't be there if the demand wasn't there for it. I wouldn't say they make people there have an ED, I'd say the majority of people who use those sites already have one, or they're just curious and are about to crash diet. But if you start censoring things like pro-ana/mia sites, as I said, others will pop up, and they'll be more exclusive and harder to find. Then there's the slippery slope of banning other things considered harmful.

No one forces these women to look at these sites. I'm pretty sure by then, the damage is already done, trying to clamp down on those would only be treating the symptoms, and not the cause.
    of course pro-ana sites dont make people anorexic.
    They wouldnt even have found the site if they werent already looking for it.
    Ballerina wrote: »
    There is a difference between being naturally skinny and doing it deliberately. Naturally skinny girls have tiny bone frames, very small hips and are straight up and down. If you have an hourglass/apple/pear...any shape apart from banana, then you're not built to be skinny.

I've been called anorexic for a 'joke'. Also my primary school secretly started to weigh me because they suspected I either had an E.D or was being abused :confused: The line between naturally very slim and unhealthily very slim can get pretty blurred to some people it seems.

I'm a naturally 'skinny'..gawd I hate that word..person. Yeah my waist is small but I'm not straight up and down.
    Rachael wrote: »
    I've been called anorexic for a 'joke'. Also my primary school secretly started to weigh me because they suspected I either had an E.D or was being abused :confused: The line between naturally very slim and unhealthily very slim can get pretty blurred to some people it seems.

I'm a naturally 'skinny'..gawd I hate that word..person. Yeah my waist is small but I'm not straight up and down.

ok maybe not always straight up and down but people who are naturally very slender are built small, even if they are tall - that's the point i'm making.