Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How do you get your tax back?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I am owed a LOT of tax. I have written to my local tax office outlining the jobs I have worked in and sent a copy of my most recent P60 (2005). They replied asking me to send every single P45 and P60 I have, which I don't have.

I have moved house about 8 times in the last few years and have no idea where all these bits of paper are.

Why do they make it so hard to get back what is owed to me?

They are quick enough to grab all the tax they can out of peoples' earnings, then cling on to it for dear life.

If I go in on my day off and make a fuss, will I get my money back? I'm in debt and really need the money.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    They normally only refund money at the end of the tax year - ie in April. However if you are trying to claim money for previous years then they might be able to give it to you now - but you definately won't get it instantly - i'm guessing it takes up to 6 weeks or so.

If you don't have copies of your P45's and P60's then you could try contacting your previous employers to ask for additional ones? Otherwise i am really not sure what the procedure is.

I'm not even sure that you can just turn up at the Tax office and demand money either - but maybe someone else will know.....
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    katchika wrote: »
    I am owed a LOT of tax. I have written to my local tax office outlining the jobs I have worked in and sent a copy of my most recent P60 (2005). They replied asking me to send every single P45 and P60 I have, which I don't have.

I have moved house about 8 times in the last few years and have no idea where all these bits of paper are.

Why do they make it so hard to get back what is owed to me?

They are quick enough to grab all the tax they can out of peoples' earnings, then cling on to it for dear life.

If I go in on my day off and make a fuss, will I get my money back? I'm in debt and really need the money.

I work for HMRC. If they are asking your for every P60 / P45 you have ever had, it basically means we haven't got the information ourselves. I only write out to people if I cannot find the information needed anywhere on our systems. Technically your ex employers should have sent the information to us, but it's your legal responsibility to keep the appropriate paperwork for 6 tax years before disposing of it.
    The only thing you can do is write to all your ex employers and ask them for a statement of pay,tax deducted and code operated whilst in their employment. If you can't do that then thats the end of the line basically.

If you turn up at the tax office without having made an appointment via the contact centre first you will probably be turned away. You also have to meet a load of criteria to be eligible for face to face assistance. Even if you do catch the advisor in a charitable mood then you won't be walking out the door with a wedge of cash in your hand, repayments are sent as cheques from a central location.