Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

How To Ask For Extra Time In Exams?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I have an eye condition that makes reading quite difficult and sometimes I will have to read something several times before actually taking it in. Because of what I have wrong with me (Nystagmus) I read slowly as well.

I have 4 exams in June, 3 of which are written and tend to have questions which are quite long. (GCSE Science Resit)

I've never needed this extra time but lately reading has become quite difficult.

Who do I ask for extra time? Is it the special educational needs (SEN) department or is it whoever organises the exams?

I posted this on another board and someone told me that I need a doctor's note - how would I get one even though I don't go to the doctors or eye infermary (sp) about this? I only go to the opticians to get my eyes tested.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yeah i think ud need some sort of doctors note or one from the opticians if these are accepted but im not sure who u would have to talk to id go to your head of year if you have a teacher that organises exams like we did at my school then id go and see them and talk about it
    I will talk to the teacher who teaches me for that exam and see what he says. I also know someone who gets extra time for exams so I can also talk to him and see if he knows wo I need to talk to. Thanks.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Speak to your SENCo (special ed needs co-ordinator) and they will organise it from their end. They are the ones that need to apply for the time. In the meantime, get a doctors certificate too.

Basically, when you need extra time in your exams, you need to apply to the LEA and they need proof of what additional needs you have. This is done through the school / college. This also needs to happen now. The school that I work in are slowly getting all these things organised for the May exams.

I assume that SENCo or the SEN department are aware of your condition?
    Well, I don't know this is going to be any use to you as I'm at University but I get 25% extra time in exams but didn't really ask for it. I went to the disabilities department about my panic attacks and anxiety surrounding exams (Apparently I suffer from "Anxiety Syndrome" whatever that is). The department was fantastic and I now get my own examination room (which helps so fucking much) and they gave me 25% extra time. I don't know why they gave me that though, I don't need it! It works out to be like, a extra 30 minutes. I was also allowed to retake the exam I ran out of as a first sit so I could get full marks. I went to them after I ended up panicking big time in one of last years exams and ran out of the exam hall in tears :o

Anyhoos, I just went to the doctor (as I'd gone to him for just over a year about several mental health issues) so he wrote me a doctors note along with dates and stuff. I was told that this was necessary so tbh, I'd get down to your doctor now although it might look a bit suspicious.

Is there not someone at your school/college that deals with this sorta thing? Also, get down to your doctor now and explain your circumstances. He might be understanding and write you a doctors note.

Hope you get it sorted :)
    The school aren't aware of this. I think most of the teachers are aware that I have a problem with my vision though. (I have to wear glasses, sit at the front of the class, have to look really closely when reading text/doing my work and can't share text books; because they're at the wrong angle/wrong place for me to see them)
    If they are aware of all those things then tbh, it will probably work in your favour and they probably won't think you are lying. You need to talk to someone at your school ASAP.
    Snow White Queen, I had no idea that you could apply for better conditions when doing exams if you suffer from panic attacks. During my a levels I had to leave the exam hall so many times because i would start shaking and crying in them because i hated the stress of being in a room full of people. They eventually got me a room of my own but when i came to Uni i was worried that they might think i was putting it on in order to get more favourable exam conditions. I'm so glad you told me that! I will definately think of going to my tutor and asking what they could do to help.
    Definately do it. I have always suffered from anxiety problems when it comes to exams but it just got worse when I came to Uni. Maybe because they are more important? :chin:

I just freaked out big time last year. It was a hard exam that I'd spent ages revising for. Law students are awful for going "OMG, I did 'x' amount of hours revision", "Have you learnt this?" etc so yanno. Also, I'm not good in rooms full of lots of people. Its the fact I'm not allowed out of there either that bugs me. I really can't explain it.

It was on my medical record for about a year but I never asked for help. I was always quite stubborn that I could get by like a normal student but the last exam I did (with my own room and extra time) was such a better experience than my others.

Definately ask for help though, its the best thing I did regarding exams :thumb:
    Sofie wrote: »
    The school aren't aware of this. I think most of the teachers are aware that I have a problem with my vision though. (I have to wear glasses, sit at the front of the class, have to look really closely when reading text/doing my work and can't share text books; because they're at the wrong angle/wrong place for me to see them)

Hmm, your teachers should have at least mentioned this to the SENCo - I know I would have if I had a student who had an obvious problem I wasn't previously aware of.

Go talk to your SENCo as someone else has already mentioned, state your problem and say you're worried about the exams.

When I was at Uni I had a serious issue with RSI and as a consequence couldn't write or type for any length of time - I told my tutor and I had a scribe arranged for me so I could dictate my answers. Most schools/unis etc will be very accomodating - every child matters and all that :)

Best of luck

First thing to do would be to make the school aware of it. I know your teachers have some sort of inkling, but if you go and actually tell the SEN dept then you have more chance of getting extra time / a reader etc.

Quite often, in cases like this, you would get somebody to read the questions to you as well as possible extra time. However, you won't get any of this unless you take it up with the school as they are the ones that can actually apply on your behalf.

Good luck :)
    _79_ wrote: »
    Hmm, your teachers should have at least mentioned this to the SENCo - I know I would have if I had a student who had an obvious problem I wasn't previously aware of.

I don't think she's mentioned it.

Does anyone know how I find out who the SENco is? Or would I just have to pop down to the room (there's a SEN room mainly for people who are in wheelchairs and the SEN team are down there most of the time) and talk to someone about it?
    Ask any of your teachers - they should know (since all teachers should be aware of any special educational needs of all their students and they get this information from the SENCo).

Failing that ask reception or yeah pop down to the room and talk to one of the SEN staff - they should be able to point you in the right direction.

The sooner they are aware and are aware you're worried about it - the sooner they can start making arrangements to help you.

:)

I don't think she's mentioned it.

Does anyone know how I find out who the SENco is? Or would I just have to pop down to the room (there's a SEN room mainly for people who are in wheelchairs and the SEN team are down there most of the time) and talk to someone about it?

Go to the room and ask there. At least there they will be able to point you in the right direction.

I am confused, though. If you have a problem with your eyesight, then why are the school not aware of it?
    I don't know. Admittedly, I was much better when I started in Year 7 than I am now and from about year 10-12, didn't wear glasses and didn't have that many problems until the last few months or so.
    Like has been said talk to the SENCo, pop down to the room and explain to one of the staff a summary and find out who you need to talk to. The final stuff will probably be done by someone from SEN working with the examinations officer.

You need to get your act together though, as the exam boards need to be told well in advance about on going conditions, so hunt them down on Monday morning.
    You need to get your act together though, as the exam boards need to be told well in advance about on going conditions, so hunt them down on Monday morning.

Yup, you don't want to miss out on time you're entitled to just because of pride.

When I was doing A-levels I was given 25% extra time in exams. I have hemiplegia, but I think any exam troubles were more a matter of nerves/problems with essay timing. Basically my teachers told me they wanted me to get extra time, as I wouldn't do myself justice wiithout it, and I had to go to the doctors and have him cobble something together on a note. I was a bit pissed off at the time, but on reflection I probably wouldn't have got the grades I did without it, and nerves probably are a valid problem if they affected my ability to do essays that much [i.e. only beoing able to do 3.5 instead of the 4 essay answers or whatever].

I didn't get any extra time at uni, out of pride and wanting to do the exams on the same terms as everybody else, and that meant I fucked up on at least two history exams, scraping me a low 2.1 for those modules instead of the mmid-/high 2.1 I should have been capable of. I don't think it would have made any difference to my final grade. On the one hand I was proud that my final grades were achieved without extra time (and I did do ok in some of my exams), but I still wonder if I did the right thing by not getting help.

Anyway, good luck :)
    Ok, I went through this so I can tell ya :)

Go to the exams officer - explain to them. If they can see that you have a difficulty (as she could with me, my hand was blistered and bandaged lol) then she can, at her discretion, give you up to 25% off. Otherwise she will need some supporting evidence, but it's not as hard as you think, my friend who has dyslexia was given 25% extra time and he only found out he had it when he was 17, so it's not like it had majorly affected him before.

Even though my hand was scorched, I still finished in less than the normal time though, it all depends what exams you're doing. They offered to have someone scribe for me, but I thought fuck no, in Maths writing is part of the mental process.
    Spoke to my tutor this morning (mainly because I told her I need my own textbook and everyone pinches them so I have to share and I can't. And they moan when I refuse to share :rolleyes: ) and she asked me to explain what was wrong and what exactly it is I require in my exams. She then said that she'd write a letter to the exams officer (why I didn't say anything to him when I saw him earlier, I don't know :rolleyes: ) then she'd pass it on to him and SEN once I've got a letter from the opticians confirming I have nystagmus.