Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Metal or whatever it is

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's simple...
    This music is not for retards, if you can't enjoy it, just don't waste your time to show how ignorant you are! Go play some Take Crap tracks,they don't scream :D
    If it's some kind of metalcore then I would'nt like it.

Other than that metal is good!!
    I said that a band that screams every line either can't sing or lacks variety in their music. When Thom Yorke or Connor Oberst or Chino Moreno or even Eminem screams, I find it much more powerful, because they don't do it in every song or in every line. I think screaming only really lends itself to conveying one or two emotions in music, and so I find that bands who almost exclusively scream throughout their music end up a bit samey, and thier music tends to be less powerful as a result. Not to mention that I find screaming is often (not always, but often) a bit of an obvious way of conveying that sort of emotion in a song, so more often than not, I don't find it to be particularly creative.

So by that logic if people ONLY sing without screaming, then they also lack variety? It just fits some music like a glove... so does singing, no point making a song sound worse by singing just to add variety!
    I said that a band that screams every line either can't sing or lacks variety in their music. When Thom Yorke or Connor Oberst or Chino Moreno or even Eminem screams, I find it much more powerful, because they don't do it in every song or in every line.

You clearly know very little about metal then. Incidentally, if the Deftones aren't metal, what are they?

Again, with two sentences, you've managed to show your utter ignorance of what you're talking about yet your total willingness to completely write it off regardless.

I would go as far as recommending some metal for you to listen to that doesn't involve screaming, but I doubt you'd even be willing to give it a listen.

Incidentally, what kind of music do you listen to?
    O_o wrote: »
    that's not really that big a jump to be honest.

Have you ever heard a silverchair song?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBf1UblIMKU

Now compare this to a RATM song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMEqVAt7s8U

Not a big jump?
    I think the screaming in Metal can be best described as an aquired taste. It just fits it so well.

But there's such a range of vocalists in metal. Howard Jones can scream 'til he's blue in the face and then sing like he could break the hearts of 14 year old girls. He's not the only one either. Corey Taylor is a fantastic vocalist as has been mention, but then there's Bruce Dickenson, ZP Theart, Michel Akerfeldt, Maynard James Keenan or Serj Tankian. An absolute shit load of different ranges, and if anyone says they can't sing then they're an idiot. They just choose not to sing all the time, because at times the music calls for a sort of aggression that only screaming provides.

I love metal so fucking much. I love it because nothing makes me feel like I do when I hear a massive, soaring guitar riff with some fast as hell double bass drumming. It just makes me smile and head bang like a twat. It makes me feel the way music should make you feel.
    Ghost18 wrote: »

Not a big jump?

Not really. I've got all CD's by both bands, and while they're different, it's not a huge gap.

I had a playlistr on the other day. The Berzerker was followed by DJ Shadow and then Justin Timberlake. That's a jump.
    How about what I had earlier on youtube then.

A jump from this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exDo2SMdB-0&eurl

To This:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhG5OZS9YBA

To This:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BG5MfRaO6A

Talk about big jumps

I love metal so fucking much. I love it because nothing makes me feel like I do when I hear a massive, soaring guitar riff with some fast as hell double bass drumming. It just makes me smile and head bang like a twat. It makes me feel the way music should make you feel.

:yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:
    Listen to Bother by Stone Sour, Corey Taylor can really sing. Nowt wrong with metal/nu-metal on the whole, a good singer/screamer can add to a song, but a bad one can ruin it.

Corey Taylor uses a very wide range of vocals. On the debut Slipknot album (not talking about Mate. Feed. Kill. Repeat. before anyone brings that up) Corey actually raps alot, which 'die hard metal fans' usually deny.
    I used to love all that music. Korn were like gods to me. I still like it but I kinda grew out of my passion for it, Hardcore and Drum 'n' Bass are where it's at these days. :thumb:
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    Corey Taylor uses a very wide range of vocals. On the debut Slipknot album (not talking about Mate. Feed. Kill. Repeat. before anyone brings that up) Corey actually raps alot, which 'die hard metal fans' usually deny.
    I used to love all that music. Korn were like gods to me. I still like it but I kinda grew out of my passion for it, Hardcore and Drum 'n' Bass are where it's at these days. :thumb:

Aye but thankfully it wasn't shit rapping like fucking Linkin Park or Limp Bizkit. He actually managed to pull it off.
    My metal collection extends to RATM, Ministry, Anthrax & System Of A Down. I have some Metallica and Slayer as well.

I've tried to listening to other stuff but can't get into it. I remember one band I listened to - Stormtroopers Of Death, with songs such as 'Speak English Or Die!' Lovely stuff that!
    Addict wrote: »
    My metal collection extends to RATM, Ministry, Anthrax & System Of A Down. I have some Metallica and Slayer as well.

I've tried to listening to other stuff but can't get into it. I remember one band I listened to - Stormtroopers Of Death, with songs such as 'Speak English Or Die!' Lovely stuff that!

I have a knack for getting people to, if not like metal, at least appreciate it. It's great fun :D I just play them some of my favourite songs and within half an hour they're like "Yeah, that is quite impressive actually."

I woulda thought you woulda had some Deftones though. What's wrong with you?! Respect for Anthrax and Slayer though :thumb:
    I have a knack for getting people to, if not like metal, at least appreciate it. It's great fun :D I just play them some of my favourite songs and within half an hour they're like "Yeah, that is quite impressive actually."

That's what my mate did for me, and I quite liked alot of the stuff he played so I downloaded some of the songs, which form the majority of my collection. I remember the first time I heard 'Starting Up A Posse' by Anthrax round at his house, stoned to the bag aged about 15/16. I think that was the turning point for me!

I woulda thought you woulda had some Deftones though. What's wrong with you?! Respect for Anthrax and Slayer though :thumb:

Haha, I have one Deftones song on my iPod, Minerva, which I quite like.

I just don't know what albums to get. Recommend me one or two!

My favourite Deftones album is Adrenaline, that's just sic. If you like Minerva, then get their self titled album.

White Pony, without a doubt. It's a lot, lot more experimental and has a lot of like, chill-outy songs on it, which are quite electronic based. Around The Fur is fucking awesome too, a bit more raw and rocky than WP but nothing too bad.

Download these songs

Digital Bath
    Knife Party
    Passenger
    Be Quiet and Drive (Far Away)
    My Own Summer (Shove it)
    Korea

All fucking awesome songs.
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    My favourite Deftones album is Adrenaline, that's just sic. If you like Minerva, then get their self titled album.

Adrenaline is a great album, don't get me wrong, it's just not a patch, musically, on their other albums. It's just basically stripped down nu-metal. But then Deftones smoked a shit load of weed and started to experiment, and their later albums have just been so much deeper and they put Adrenaline in the shade.

The self-titled album is great too, I just think White Pony is an absolute musical masterpiece. To me, they'll never surpass it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6clExWWTPQ

anyone else like wintersun? :D skip to the solo at like 3:15, if you find anything as good as that in any pop or indie song i'll chop off both my legs! :no:
    For anyone who likes their metal fast, brutal and scary as fuck, I give you The Berzerker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gqVVQ-q8Zs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2a8EmqzfJ0
    For anyone who likes their metal fast, brutal and scary as fuck, I give you The Berzerker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gqVVQ-q8Zs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2a8EmqzfJ0
    Fuck off with that shit :razz:

All this talk of Deftones has made me blare Knife Party full blast :thumb:
    Fuck off with that shit :razz:

You just can't handle it.

Not a big jump?

don't try and patronise me.

FYI, i have Frogstomp, Freak Show, Neon Ballroom, Diorama, Live from Faraway Stables and the B-Sides.

and with RATM, lets see, S/T, Renegades, Evil Empire, Battle Of LA, Live at the Grand Olympic Theatre.

There we go, yes i have.

Anyway, my point was that it was hardly like listening to Squarepusher then Mastodon then Duran Duran.
    You clearly know very little about metal then. Incidentally, if the Deftones aren't metal, what are they?

Again, with two sentences, you've managed to show your utter ignorance of what you're talking about yet your total willingness to completely write it off regardless.

I would go as far as recommending some metal for you to listen to that doesn't involve screaming, but I doubt you'd even be willing to give it a listen.

Incidentally, what kind of music do you listen to?

The fact that you equate me saying "I don't tend to like bands that scream every line" to "I don't like metal" says more about you than it does about me. You're so quick to jump to the defence of "metal" that you're not even taking in what I'm writing. I wouldn't defend any specific type of music, nor do I like any specific type of music, I like individual bands and artists. Trust me, I really don't need you to recommend me some metal, because I already have a collection of decent music on my hard drive. If you really want to change my mind, you should recommend me a band that does scream every line of every song without sounding samey, since that was what I was claiming was shit in my experience.
    muse- wrote: »
    So by that logic if people ONLY sing without screaming, then they also lack variety? It just fits some music like a glove... so does singing, no point making a song sound worse by singing just to add variety!

Nah, I think a band can vary the music hugely by the way they choose to sing a certain song. That's why we have examples of people singing in practically every form of music ever written. Even rapping can have quite a variety to the way it's delivered. But in my opinion, screaming only lends itself to songs about anger or pain. Fine if it fits that particular song, but what I'm saying is that if that is all the band does in it's entire repertoire, then the chances are it's a bit samey in my opinion.

Gotta say, I'm astonished how me offering my opinion that I don't like what I would consider to be an overuse of screaming, turns into me attacking an entire genre of music.
    O_o wrote: »
    don't try and patronise me.
    FYI, i have Frogstomp, Freak Show, Neon Ballroom, Diorama, Live from Faraway Stables and the B-Sides.
    and with RATM, lets see, S/T, Renegades, Evil Empire, Battle Of LA, Live at the Grand Olympic Theatre.
    There we go, yes i have.
    Anyway, my point was that it was hardly like listening to Squarepusher then Mastodon then Duran Duran.

I wasn't trying to patronise you, I was just asking a question. I should have maybe put it in a better context but I can't change that now.

What's your favourite Silverchair song?

It was the context of which you put it in that made me misunderstand the point you were making.
    Unfortunately context is something that can't be captured in writing properly.
    I wasn't trying to patronise you, I was just asking a question. I should have maybe put it in a better context but I can't change that now.

What's your favourite Silverchair song?

It was the context of which you put it in that made me misunderstand the point you were making.
    Unfortunately context is something that can't be captured in writing properly.

haha, ok. sorry about that. let's forget about it.

i haven't really listened to them much in the last couple of years, but they were one of my favourite bands when i was 16/17. i love pretty much all of Frogstomp, not so keen on Diorama, but it has it's moments. i quite like Blind, Slave, the Door, but i'd probably choose Israel's Son as my favourite track.
    Good Metal Bands are bands not screaming all the time,but when needed and which have good riffs,drums,bass and vocals.These are among the most successful ones:

Iron Maiden,Metallica,Black Sabbath,Motorhead,Judas Priest,Led Zeppelin,Slayer,AC/DC(more hard rock)..
    hmm someone stuck in the past? :p
    I can't stand Motorhead! Sorry to any of their fans but I just think they sound bloody awful! It's like banging a can on my head over and over again. AC/DC annoy the hell out of me too.

Iron Maiden, Slayer, Metallica (old stuff), Judas Priest and Black Sabbath are good though.
    I appreciate Led Zeppelin as a band, I like a few of their songs and they're extremely talented, I just don't like the dude's voice, he sounds crap. My dad loves them though.
    Makoto wrote: »
    how do people enjoy this row?

Maybe because most people aren't closed minded enough to write off an entire genre of music based on hearing "a song at the pub". If I did that, all dance would be shit to me due to Clubland/MoS annual CD adverts on TV, and all indie would be shit due to terrible, terrible bands like Keane and Razorlight being played at studenty clubs.

Then again you didn't specify if the band was live or it was a simply a CD. If the former was the case, there's your answer; you have to sift through a whole load of kids banging on pots and pans to find a good, local metal band.