Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

"I love to lose" says violent rugby player

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
... okay so he really said "Toulouse" but I just wanted to laugh at a foreign town name.

Anyway, back to the point, why isn't this story leading the news? Why isn't there a huge campaign to get him banned by the national media?

Where is the thread on this board condemning him and suggesting that he should be banned for life - such as was mentioned should have happened to Cantona?

If this was a football player, and more so a United player, wouldn't this be seen as much more of a story?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I guess it's because in England, football has a much much higher profile than rugby. Your average joe could probably name more high profile footballers than rugby players. Still, the players actions are dispicable though. Should be banned. After all, players get bans for violent actions against eachother on the pitch, so violence against a spectator should be punished even harder.
  • Options
    If this was a football player, and more so a United player, wouldn't this be seen as much more of a story?

Bit paranoid there mate.

The reason Cantona got stick was because he kung-fu kicked somebody in the crowd, not because he played for Man United.

I can't remember too many other similar incidents for any other players who played for any other club. Unless you'd like us to invent some so Man United fans don't feel victimised?

You're not honestly saying if Bellamy or Van Persie did what Cantona did then they'd get less stick for it?

To the point...I've no idea why it didn't get as much coverage, but the guy should getinto shit just as badly as Le Twat did.
  • Options
    FFS, come on man get a grip of yourself.
    How many times do we see you and Addict and Godscop come into a thread and say something like "Once again it turns into a debate about Man U"?? And now your here in the first post of a thread you made already making this into an argument about the scum.
    I don't follow Egg Chasing, think its a pretty shite game to tell you truth, liked playing it at school but watching it just bores the hell out of me, saw something about this on Sky Sports News but didn't take much notice.
    Likes being said anyone doing a Kung-fu kick over a wall and into a section of the fans in a Football Premier League game would have got the same kind of abuse Cantona got. Are you saying his 9 month ban was too much?? hehe, get a grip he was treated pretty well in my eyes, should have being banned for life, and so should this Rugby player although I don't know who he is at all.
  • Options
    f this was a football player, and more so a United player, wouldn't this be seen as much more of a story?

1. Yes it would.

2. No it wouldn't- the charming El Hadji Diouf gets loads of stick for being a violent spitting thug too, and he's never come close to a United shirt (as shown by his Liverpool performances). And what he did wasn't half as bad as what Cantona did (or as what Man United fans did to that Palace supporter at Villa Park in "retribution", seeing as we're on the subject).

Rugby Union is seen a a lovely charming game played by gentlemen, and the media won't do anything to tarnish that image. If a footballer had done it the papers would have been filled with stories about the great unwashed earning too much money, but Union is still seen as important by the public schoolboys who run the media. That's why Union gets so much coverage when, in terms of attendances anyway, a Fourth Division football game is more important. Even Rugby League is more important, and that never gets any coverage at all.

If it was in England the player would probably face criminal charges, but the Gendarmes in that part of France won't do piss all about it.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Bit paranoid there mate.

Of course I am.

Look at the replies, all starting with my United reference. Point made, thank you all for helping.

I do think it would have been bigger is it had been football, because it has greater support. Given that United are the biggest club in the country on that score, of course the coverage would have been greater.

As for this chap, unless he gets similar punishment to Cantona (and even I think that the police took that lightly) then my point will just be reinforced.
  • Options
    This guy was worse than Cantona. As far as I know he climbed over the boundary, walked up to the fan and landed at least half a dozen punches on him, giving him a suspected fractured skull.
  • Options
    As for this chap, unless he gets similar punishment to Cantona (and even I think that the police took that lightly) then my point will just be reinforced.

I'd be looking at him getting the same punishment as Duncan Ferguson tbh.
  • Options
    ^ Bump.

Case to be heard on 9th February, but the other player involved got a four week ban (although no voilence on his part it should be noted).

French courts still to address the issue.
  • Options
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    The reason Cantona got stick was because he kung-fu kicked somebody in the crowd.

lol. I did love Ooo Aah Cantona!
  • Options
    Well from what I've heard, imo this guy should be banned for life and be done for assault. Whilst you can compare disciplinary procedures between football and rugby, you can't really claim some sort of injustice if this guy is banned for less time than Cantona, because they are run by different governing bodies. However, you can claim injustice in the amount of coverage both get in the media. Scandal in football is obviously going to get more coverage, because it is the more popular sport. But the likes of James Cotterill of the mighty Barrow AFC gets sacked from the club and a prison sentence for assaulting an opponent and that's all over the media. I know that it was in the FA Cup with TV camera on him, but this is a semi-professional football club we're talking about. The thugs in rugby union get away with far worse things than footballers without comment. The amount of times I've seen a rugby player punch an opponent and end up with a short ban. And the media are keen to ignore this and paint them as saints because they don't complain to the referee.
  • Options
    I think the obvious reason why this isn't a big issue here is because it is an Irishman playing for a French club in a sport that is nowhere near as poopular as football........
  • Options
    But even rugby in this country, I haven't seen a lot about that fight in the St. Helens game the other day though (though admittedly, I haven't read the papers today). One guy had blood running down his face after being punched in the face.

See if you can find the reference to it in this story. If this was football, it'd have a minimum of a seperate story the incident, rather than having to look for the actual match report, then read the entire thing to find out about it.
    http://www.skysports.com/skysports/article/0,,10-1250012,00.html
  • Options
    I wonder if the local pigs will arrest those players for affray, like they did wityh Dyer and Bowyer :chin:

Here's betting that they don't. Rugby is probably worse than football for discipline, Sean Long of St Helens got a six-month ban for betting on his own side to lose at Bradford- if he'd been a footballer he'd have been given the life ban the little cheating scrote deserved.
  • Options
    story
    how's this for how to deal with bad behaviour?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    story
    how's this for how to deal with bad behaviour?

2 weeks for giving someone concussion?

That's pityful.

Paul Scholes will be out for longer for just swinging a punch, never mind giving concussion.
  • Options
    It's is own club that gave him the punishment. The match officials missed it, obviously you've missed my point.
  • Options
    Football clubs give out punsihments to their own players as well, it's hardly unique to rugby.

Likely case in football is that it would have been caught on camera and retrospective punishment could be given.
  • Options
    Bump.

Life Ban for Toulouse player.

Holy shit.

Although worth noting that he had announced his retirement just before the hearing so I guess it doesn't amount to much apart from a case of the Board saying that they aren;t going to be fooled by his announcement into something lenient.