Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Nightmares

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Don't wanna go to sleep... Because last night I kept on waking up and seeing things in my room (I have had this before, you wake up terrified and see a man or something and then the image disappears), then I got to sleep and had horrible dreams.

Grrr :(

Comments

• Options
    Sleep in a differant room??
  • Options
    nightmares are rubbish. fortunately I cant remember the last time I had one.

there must be something you're subconciously worrying about...
  • Options
    Watch a comedy film before you go to sleep.
    Although this may not actually work, i watched interview with a vampire last night to help me drift off and i had probably the best nights sleep ive had in yonks with no nightmares at all
  • Options
    I used to get that too.

Relegate yourself to the couch.
    Leave the T.V on.
    It'll ease it considerably...at least in my experience.
    Or ambient noise.
    Leave the stereo on.
  • Options
    Sleep in a differant room??

Doubt it'll help... I normally get this when I'm stressed. Basically, I go to sleep (for a short period of time) and I think I dream, I'm not sure though. It's like drifting in to sleep and then opening your eyes to see some crazy shit (I've seen all sorts, from a man, to demons, to huge insects) and I seem to think they're really there.

Ok, it was wierd with the insects, they were like huge. I have no fear of insects but I was terrified and they were on the wall. I stared at them and then started screaming "give me the fucking torch!" to my room mate. I can't explain it really.

Have had bad nightmares too. My scariest nightmares are often ones which imply rape. I hadn't had a nighmare for a while before last night, not since january where I dreamt my Dad beat me up and was going to rape me. Some of the most vivid dreams I've had have been about rape (one of my most frightening was when I was younger and dreamt that an invisible demon held me down and raped me. It was so vivid, the feeling of being held down).

I don't want to start having nightmares again. :no:
  • Options
    i dont like dreams with spiders in.
  • Options
    I had something like that before I woke up and seen a really massive big spider spinning towards my face like some sort of spider frisbie and I just quickly shot out of bed and ran into the bathroom and just stared into the mirror for about a minute breathing really heavily. One of the scariest things Ive encountered.
  • Options
    I suffered from exactly the same thing for years and still get them fairly regularly now...I would find myself waking up as I was running across the house screaming my head off thinking that giant spiders/wasps/panthers/insects were coming towards me, I would turn on lights and my heart would be racing out of sheer panic and I would then come round and realise that it isn't real, I often jump across my boyfriend trampling on him in my sleep, I also have a tendency to open my eyes in my sleep, look directly at him, and scream my head off! I'm lucky he puts up with it.

It is incredibly frightening and feels very real, the images I see are just like real life! Stress definately brings these on for me! The more worried I am the worse it gets.

Maybe you could go and see your GP for some advice, in the meantime try to stay relaxed. Also, I haven't really thought about this before, but I wonder if certain types of food make it more likely to happen :chin:
  • Options
    I hope you got to sleep without any nasty dreams or anything in the end Namaste.

I wouldn't call the nightmares, but last month I had 3 bad dreams each night in a row... wasn't very nice. I get them when I'm stressed or feeling depressed. Often dream of tornados for some reason, even though I've never seen one. About 3 years ago I would have about two tornado dreams every night... I was in a pretty bad mental state at the time.

As for the seeing things... I get that when I'm awake! If I'm feeling stressed or low, I start seeing things out the corner of my eye (even during the day)... like mutilated people and stuff... and I get these like flashes of bad images in my head... like if I'm in the car I'll suddenly get a really vivid image of having a car crash and stuff. :confused:

I'd try meditating before you go to sleep; and maybe doing some yoga breathing exercises... There's one where you rest your thumb and finger either side of your nose (like you're going to pinch it). Press your thumb down to close one nostril while you breath in, and then when you breath out take your thumb off and press your finger down, so you're breathing in through one side and out the other. It's relaxing. I think it gives you something calming to concentrate on. No harm in giving it a go anyway. :)
  • Options
    I have really bad nightmares often as well. But they start before that, most nights I just get completely paranoid and think there is someone or something in my room and find I keep having to turn the light back on. Not because I'm afraid of the dark, just because I can't see around. Then even when I close my eyes I see horrible things like really scary faces, and have to open them again. Sometimes this goes on for ages. And then eventually when I fall asleep I might have a horrible nightmare.

I know what you mean about rape ones, they are so vivid, even if you don't actually get raped in them, just the feeling that you almost were is terrified. People dont understand how much dreams can scar you even though they arent real. It may sound really stupid but I used to have dreams with Adolf Hitler in that were so scary, he would come and shoot at little children or at me, and once forced me to mutilate a little girl.

I have such a nice, happy life with no problems, I don't understand why I dream such horrible things sometimes, and why I am so paranoid about being murdered every night >.<

It's bizarre. :confused:
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Don't wanna go to sleep... Because last night I kept on waking up and seeing things in my room (I have had this before, you wake up terrified and see a man or something and then the image disappears), then I got to sleep and had horrible dreams.

Grrr :(
    I have been having this loads recently. I also wake up with deep anxiety and feeling very scared for no reason, I also wake up crying.
    It's because I'm ill at the moment with a bit of a temperature.
    Not nice.
  • Options
    i went to the docs because I have had sleep probs for ages and ages. Feeling tired in the day, not getting to sleep at night, waking up with nightmares etc, all worsened by pmt and worries to the point where it was affeting my ability to even lead a normal life at the same time as the rest of the world. They gave me a low dose of an anti-depressant with a sedative effect to take at night ad three weeks on I've only slept in the daytime once, no nightmares, have a bloody dry mouth in the morning but it's worth it. Try the docs- they might be as sympathetic as mine was and try you on stuff.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Thankfully, I seem to always forget my nightmares. I don't have many but even when I do, the memory is gone within the same day or the next few at the most.
    I specifically remember having a nightmare last year that was so horrible I remembered it for days and would shake whenever I thought of it. Also I kept looking behind me etc. But soon afterwards I had completely forgotten what the nightmare was about.
  • Options
    Namaste, you might find this site helpful. I hope so anyway.

http://watarts.uwaterloo.ca/~acheyne/S_P.html
  • Options
    Last night I dreamt I got another job at the co op handing out flowers, but I told the guy in charge I was never working in retail again. Then he shook my hand. Then I marched to a big business place and asked for a placement and they gave me one, I spoke to a really old intimidating guy and he said he'd be happy to have me.

Woo!
  • Options
    No stress = no nightmares. It always worked for me. I know that's easy to say and hard to do, but you could try taking a couple of days off from school/work, unless that's just going to make you more stressed.
  • Options
    I had some dodgy dreams last night... I have no idea what they were now, but I know I was waking up every 10 mins and now I'm knackered at work! :grump:
  • Options
    I had one of my two sort-of recurring dreams (which are way too complicated to even begin to explain) last night. Oh joy, its been a couple of years since I had either of them.
  • Options
    I had a really strange dream last night, ended with me fighting against this guy and a vertially challenged person. Battered the small guy then the other guy tried to jump on my back, i clocked him with a glass bottle which shattered and then I woke up.. :s
  • Options
    ibanezdude wrote: »
    No stress = no nightmares. It always worked for me. I know that's easy to say and hard to do, but you could try taking a couple of days off from school/work, unless that's just going to make you more stressed.

some stressors you can't just get rid of but definately finding ways to deal with stress helps.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »

Hehe I always get this, I can actually control what happens in my dreams/nightmares now. It's quite funny the things you can make yourself see while dreaming.
  • Options
    I'm actually getting nightmares two nights in a row, now. I'm actually TERRIFIED to sleep.

I just woke up there thinking something had dragged me off my bed with the duvet whilst I was still in a light sleep, and I was running for the light to put it on, I looked behind me and my duvet was vertical, with a shape of a head poking through but nothing there, and it was going 'ARRRRRRGH!' at me.

The night before I woke up scrambling to put the light on and I was shitting myself thinking there was something in my room and I DON'T know why.

I'm actually SO tired. I can only sleep during the daytime, but I know there's nothing I won't see that won't be there in the dark but this is starting to really freak me out. :(:(
  • Options
    Last night I was watching Silent Hill with my mate after polishing off some ketamine, which is a mind bending dissociative drug for those who want to know.

Pretty stupid idea, because at least 2 or 3 times I thought I was in the film. Very much like a nightmare. Was fucked up but I snapped out of it. DVD started playing up and I was happy to turn it off after that. Ketamine and horror movies don't mix. I should have thought about what I was doing because it's not the first time I've been watching a film whilst on ketamine and thought I was in it. Just the other times it's been better movies to be in, like fear and loathing in las vegas!

Oh, and night terrors are pretty scary shit too. The sense of impending doom and dread really shake you up.
  • Options
    :( I had a couple of bad dreams last night... I won't call them nightmares cos I didn't wake up heart thudding and sweaty, they just weren't pleasant...

One was there was some kind of war or something going on and some official looking people wouldn't let me through the airport to get back home... and then next thing I knew they were throwing people into this big reservoir thing, with loads of horrible gunge and great big skips of uneaten food, all congealed and horrible... and people were getting stuck at the damn where all the water was flowing out... and they were drowning because they couldn't swim against the force. :(

And then I had another dream that I got a phonecall from my sister saying my dad had disappeared from the spot where there was an attack and he'd not got in-touch and I started crying.

I also had a strange dream involving eyeing up a bloke though, and someone saying he fancied anything that moved so I was well in with a chance :lol: