Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

keeping chickens

Does anyone here keep chickens or know anyone that does?
I really fancy getting a little hen house and rehoming a couple of ex battery chickens now weve got a big enough garden.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My friend does. Ask me a question and I'll be happy to help. Or if you have MSN she probably won't mind you popping a few questions to her.
    My best friend does and my next door neighbours used to when I was little - i'm not sure what you want to know though....

Basically you will need a big enough area to keep them in and some way of keeping them contained in your garden rather than anyone else's if your going to have them free range.

Keep thier food and water topped up and check regularly for eggs (particually if you have a cockrel as they tend to mulitply) - they will usually put themselves to bed in the evening but you have to check that they are all in there. However particually in Urban areas foxes are a big problem - they are in rurual ones as well but there are more foxes in urban areas than the country - cos its easy pickings like.
    Check out this!!

www.omlet.co.uk

They look awesome! A bit pricey, but even if you don't get one the website has loads of info about keeping chickens happy :)
    :D
    Thanks

I was looking at those eglus, but someone on another site I asked on doesnt rate them.
    Ill probably want to keep them mainly in a run rather than completely free range as it is an urban area and were not far from a main road. Plus the three alsations next door - I think our dog would be absolutely fine though.
    No plans on getting a cockeral. Just some rescued ex battery chickens, probably 3 or 4 at the most
    Ah why didn't they like the eglu? I've had my heart set on one for a whiole now, they look much easier than the wooden hutches...and the run is foxproof! :hyper:
    Ohhh... this thread has made me want chickens... but I don't think my mum will allow me any more animals into the house, she's already in a mood that 6 fish are moving in in September...

Those Eglu's do look cool though :)
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    We used to when I was younger. Bantams too.
    Weekender Offender 
    My grandmother used to keep chickens during the second world war :yes:
    Like I said, my friend keeps chickens and is quite a fanatic and she's more than happy to give you any info you want. Have to say tho (off the record) that although they've got a weighted door and everything, in the years she's had chickens, she's on 11 and 12, because 1 through 10 got nicked by foxes. And that's in a suburban / village area, whether that makes any difference.
    Does anyone here keep chickens.

Nothing like being woken up by a big cock in the morning.
    RubberSkin wrote: »
    Nothing like being woken up by a big cock in the morning.

:D That's ma boy!

And Ab, that is such a great idea!
    I keep chickens:) I've got about 8 in total.

We've kept ex-battery hens in the past & they are very friendly due to them being numbed by being cooped up for there egg lying life. They slowly turn back into normal chickens in the end rather than just standing not doing alot.
    I definitely want to do it, but a friend has mentioned maybe waiting till the bird flu scare is over.

Itll definitely be ex-battery hens :yes:
    Ah wow you can keep rabbits in those too!

I was so excited and going to buy my mum one for my rabbit Dotty, but they are £360 :grump:
    I think you should. Just make sure before you do that there are no covenants or restrictions against your house that mean you can't. Our house has a restriction saying we can't keep pigeons.
    I know someone who kept chickens in her garden but got done for it because she didn't apply for a licence to keep livestock .... or something...
    Kermit wrote: »
    Our house has a restriction saying we can't keep pigeons.

Mine says "no erections in the garden" :lol: