Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Public Affection

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Just wondering how many people like to show a bit of affection in public. Personally I like to show some and recieve a bit back from the person I am seeing at the time, although I don't like to be all over eachother 24 7. I have heard from friends that they have had problems dating people who don't like to show anything at all in public. I guess some people just arn't very affectionate types. I have just come across someone who is like this and am finding it incredibly hard to adjust to. The last relationship I was in was incredibly affectionate and flirtatious, we couldn't keep our hands off eachother. This one it just makes me feel rejected. It has to pretty much take another person coming onto me for them to show anything. Do you think being two women could make a difference. Also the person I am seeing is younger than me, which I am not used to. It is frustrating me so much that after just a short period I am not sure I can take it any longer. What are peoples views?

Comments

• Options
    My boyfriend and I tend to hold hands and share a peck on the lips in daylight. If we're clubbing then we tend to do more dirty dancing, full on kissing etc, but I don't think that really counts. If we're in a bar or something, he tends to grab my arse in dark corners when no one's looking :D
  • Options
    I'm not into full on snogging in public. Maybe just holding hands/hug/peck. But I prefer to keep proper kissing private. Went out with a guy last week and he kept full on snogging me in the pub...still did it but wasn't 100% happy.

When I was younger my friend and her boyfriend used to always snog in public, usually when I was in the middle of a conversation with them.

Generally, I just think it's tacky! There's a time and a place. Out in a club/dark bar is ok.
  • Options
    Me and my boyfriend are extremely affectionate at home together, but when we are out or in the company of others we tend to be more reserved, we hold hands and kiss sometimes and love to be in each others company and there is usually plenty of laughter and silly behaviour but that's as far as our public relationship goes really...behind closed doors is a much different story though :naughty:
  • Options
    With me depends on the time and the place. I wouldn't have my hands down somebody's pants at a funeral, but in a pub where everyone else is at it?

No problem.

London is different to Wales, so in bmy hometown I could get a kicking for snogging a girl if it were in the wrong place... London is different.

I don't do much holding hands tho, maybe a protective arm around the waist, but holding hands... Nah.
  • Options
    Think it depends on how you feel about the bloke really....I didn't think I was into PDA, but with this bloke I'm seeing now, feel perfectly happy kissing (sometimes full on kissing) him in public!! But yeah...think you always have to basically keep in mind that it might not seem so bad when you're doing it, but it's never pretty to see!!

So subtlety's the key if you can.....:yes:
  • Options
    I like to be pretty subtle in public. If were in the high street or something im usually too busy talking nonsense at her anyway!

As for nights out, there often in a big group of mutal friends, we tend to split up and mingle at first, but as soon as we hit the club and a few drinks kick in things start happening. If its only moments later we decide to go for an early night.
  • Options
    depends, maybe not frenchkissing in the stacked full underground, but I am usually pro-pda. (pro doing it, con seeing it on others :lol: )... I go as far as saying it's an important rite when you are all new together and full-blown in love. I guess it wears off later on.

Oh about frenchkissing in the underground. If it's 4am or something and you are both drunk as kack then this is allowed too :blush:
  • Options
    Fairy I think maybe you should have a word with them. Is it a girl? I know when I had a girlfriend, I found it quite hard, because we would get funny looks and lewd remarks sometimes.

She found nothing wrong with kissing and holding hands everywhere we went, but sometimes i felt so uncomfortable, just because of other's adverse reactions. But I guess that was in a much smaller place than Im used to. In Edinburgh I would have much less of a problem with PDA with girls, perhaps not full on frenchkisses everywhere, but definitely holding hands. And with guys the same. There is, however a time and a place.
  • Options
    Me and my boyfriend are always holding hands when out, and I like mild public affection, like small kisses on the lips or cheek (or shoulder...or other exposed non intimate area), and i like it when my boyfriend rubs my back if we're sitting somewhere, and if need be we're happy to have a hug in public.

We dont do full on long kissing or feeling eachother up. Thats for private
  • Options
    i know exactly what you mean, Im kinda seeing someone at the moment and he's exactly the same, wont even peck in public. It makes me so paranoid and insecure
  • Options
    I rather like PDAs as long as its not over the top. I think its sweet seeing other people as well, as long as theyre not actually doing it to shock others, but seeing others be lovey dovey and having a kiss and cuddle is lovely.
  • Options
    My boyfriends one of those more reserved types, but I'll sometimes get a quick kiss, and he'll hold my hand if we're not both rushing about. Its a different story if he runs into me when he's drunk though.

Doesn't overly bother me seeing others at it though, although if I see a couple pressed up against a wall removing one anothers livers at 8:30am, I might end up beeping the horn til they pack it in.
  • Options
    go_away wrote: »
    My boyfriend and I tend to hold hands and share a peck on the lips in daylight. If we're clubbing then we tend to do more dirty dancing, full on kissing etc, but I don't think that really counts. If we're in a bar or something, he tends to grab my arse in dark corners when no one's looking :D

:yes: thats just how me and the fella are when we are with friends. Any more and I don't think it's fair on others. None of us enjoy watching two people playing tonsil tenis and feeling like gooseberries.
  • Options
    Lol i must be pretty cold cos i don't even like holding hands in public.

There was a couple (hideous i might add), in front of me in the queue in Morrisons and they were really going for it while they were waiting to pay. I mean why?! For a minute i thought they were gonna get their kit off and get down to it at the checkout.
  • Options
    Lacy wrote: »
    There was a couple (hideous i might add), in front of me in the queue in Morrisons and they were really going for it while they were waiting to pay. I mean why?! For a minute i thought they were gonna get their kit off and get down to it at the checkout.

That pisses me off when people do, I had a couple doing that right in front of the door to WH Smith, which people were trying to get through but they were in the fucking way with their tongues down eachothers throats. I so wanted to pull them apart.
  • Options
    I dont mind the odd bit of affection, holding hands, quick pecks/hugs. I dont like couples trying to eat each others tounges in public.

I dont even notice same sex couples being intimate, but that might be because I so to seeing it in Brighton, its normal behaviour to me.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Not sure what I'd do if I had a girlfriend, but I'm not bothered by others doing anything as long as their hands aren't near the genitalia or under their clothes.
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    That pisses me off when people do, I had a couple doing that right in front of the door to WH Smith, which people were trying to get through but they were in the fucking way with their tongues down eachothers throats. I so wanted to pull them apart.

Lol at one point she was nibbling his ear. I mean come on. Who actually does that in public?! Freaks.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    A bit of kissing and cuddling is fine. However, when they are eating each others faces off or in the middle of foreplay whilst waiting at the bus stop then I think it is a bit much.

If you are that bored whilst waiting for a bus, play the yellow car game. It's less annoying for your fellow potential-passengers.
  • Options
    A bit of kissing and cuddling is fine. However, when they are eating each others faces off or in the middle of foreplay whilst waiting at the bus stop then I think it is a bit much.

If you are that bored whilst waiting for a bus, play the yellow car game. It's less annoying for your fellow potential-passengers.
    :yes:
  • Options
    I dont even notice same sex couples being intimate, but that might be because I so to seeing it in Brighton, its normal behaviour to me.

I've never actually seen any same sex couples getting it on in public in Brighton. I see them holding hands, but they seem to be more subtle.
  • Options
    P.d.a

Let others help you gauge you P.D.A.

If you hear someone holler "get a room" chances are
    your application is a little thick.

But in the agregate, being affectionate in public is indicative of a healthy connection.

It's all part of being comfortable with one another which is crucial.
    Expressing yourselves behind closed doors is one thing, being able to interact together in a social sphere is another.

It's all about equilibrium.

:)
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    I've never actually seen any same sex couples getting it on in public in Brighton. I see them holding hands, but they seem to be more subtle.

Most are pretty subtle but you get the odd few in Kemp Town who just dont care what people think.
  • Options
    I rather like PDAs as long as its not over the top. I think its sweet seeing other people as well, as long as theyre not actually doing it to shock others, but seeing others be lovey dovey and having a kiss and cuddle is lovely.
    :) :yes:
    I love holding hands with my boyfriend in public (except when commuting, that's just not practical!), I just always feel so proud to be out with him, I really like it. :) Hee. :blush:
  • Options
    :) :yes:
    I love holding hands with my boyfriend in public (except when commuting, that's just not practical!), I just always feel so proud to be out with him, I really like it. :) Hee. :blush:

You soppy cow :p
  • Options
    :p
  • Options
    me and my bf always hold hands and occasionally have a hug and a kiss but not a full on snog i dont like to see people allover each other in public i think theres a time and a place so i keep my full on kissin and things for private. although if we are out clubbin or at a party and we r pissed we get a bit more passionate lmao
  • Options
    We hold hands and he'll put his arm round me if we're sitting somewhere. I don't like the eat their face off in public thing..Last night while dancing in a club we did the kissy kissy but I think that's different.
  • Options
    I'm the type to go as far as briefly (just a peck on the lips). My girlfriend will usually go as far as holding hands and she gets annoyed at anything else. I put up with it for the most part, but it bothers me sometimes.

It does, however, really get on my nerves when I'm at the mall and a couple is in a full-on making out on a bench :mad:
  • Options
    I'm like most people I think, a bit of holding hands, occasional hug and small kisses sometimes are fine.

I think what really bothers me about other people in public is the accompanying noises... slurping etc, ugh :yuck: It doesn't bother me if I'm just walking past people, but if I'm stuck in a queue having to listen to it, I get pretty annoyed.