Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Mother is pregnant

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My mother is about 39, I'm 20 and just told me she's pregnant. It's a huge shock that I am trying to absorb. Any input, suggestions? Until now I have been without any siblings. Though before I was 8 and moved to england, I sometimes hung around with one of my grandparent's children (an uncle) who was came along a lot later than my mum and her sister and so is only a couple years older than me.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Shes just an older mum. Just enjoy having a sibling.
    Tweety wrote: »
    Shes just an older mum. Just enjoy having a sibling.
    I totally agree.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Just enjoy it, I just became a big brother last year at 20 as well. To twins! :hyper:
    I don't get to see them often though, my dad and stepmum live far.
    It must be a total shock just now. Do you live at home? Will there be big changes for you?
    I just became a big brother

:shocking:

I had you down as a girly. Maybe because Indrid reads like Ingrid.

Sorry.
    hornet893 wrote: »
    My mother is about 39, I'm 20 and just told me she's pregnant. It's a huge shock that I am trying to absorb. Any input, suggestions?

Yeah, love your Mum and show her that you love her because her emotions will be running hot and cold now and she will be worried about your reaction. Esp. given the age difference.

When baby arrives try to help your Mum but doing things around the house as much as you can...

Sorry.

So did I...
    It must be a total shock just now. Do you live at home? Will there be big changes for you?

Yeah I live with them, though I'm still trying to absorb it, figure out what things will be like, the future, what's going to happen, etc. My mum made an appropriate stab at the fact that I'd be old enough to babysit though ha.
  • Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit

Sorry.
    Yeah, that's common. Anyway. :)
    g_angel007 wrote: »
    So did I...
    I thought the same about you until a couple of months ago :p
    I have siblings who are a good bit younger than me. It's great fun because, rather than the usual sibling rivalry and petty squabbles that you get with brothers and sisters closer to your own age you get to do all kinds of fun and interesting things with them and spoil them a bit. It's a little bit like being a favourite aunty really I suppose. The real baby stage where they don't do much doesn't last long either.
    For me that would make my year! I would be so happy but it does just depend on you, your relationships at home etc.

But do try to be positive about it. My friend who is 16 found out her mum was pregnant told her she didnt care about the baby it was scum because it was half her stepdad and her mum went on to have to give birth to a still born near the end of her pregnancy. My friend was devistated, crying to me telling me that she didnt mean for the baby to die. Her mum did get pregnant again and has now has had a little boy who is two months old. She just stayed well away finding the whole situation a bit funny not telling many people at college etc. Now he is two months old she is much more comfortable around him, taking pics showing people things she would never do when he was born. Just takes time to adjust I guess

I thought the same about you until a couple of months ago :p

:D I get that quite a lot - I like having an ambiguous user name :lol:
    ashlee wrote: »
    For me that would make my year! I would be so happy but it does just depend on you, your relationships at home etc.

That's sort of what I was thinking - is the problem not so much that your Mum's pregnant, but who she's having the baby with, and the circumstances around that?? Because I can see that that could be potentially confusing or there would be a lot of issues around that for you, OP.....
    hornet893 wrote: »
    Yeah I live with them, though I'm still trying to absorb it, figure out what things will be like, the future, what's going to happen, etc. My mum made an appropriate stab at the fact that I'd be old enough to babysit though ha.

What do you think it is thats worrying you the most?
    I've got a sister (well half-sister) who's 17 years younger than me - although it felt like a huge shift in the old family dynamics at the time, it's been fantastic having someone added to the family - especially when at that age you pretty much think everything sibling wise isn't going to change at all.