Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Gordon Brown shows what he really thinks of working people

13»

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    migpilot wrote: »
    Oh I believe they can see it, only it's much more fun to veer away from the discussion and try to get a rise out of people.

Childish.

Frankly, it's sad to see that people can't have a objective discussion and at least be open to another person's view if not agreeing.

As Aladdin was replying to my post, I assume that I am among the "they" you refer to.

That being the case, you have made a lot of wild assumptions.

Perhaps your emotions are getting the better of you ? ( A wild assumption on my part, admittedly, but your post doesn`t seem to be "objective")
  • Options
    Just a couple of points relating to previous posts... (i can't be bothered to construct a coherent argument, i've been at work all week!)

1. Any raise that's under the rate of inflation means that your money will buy less this year than it did last year. Just because you don't get one doesn't mean it's not a valid point. Your money isn't worth as much as it was last year either.

2. 20k is not a lot of money. As the average wage in this country is 27k, there are a LOT of people (ie, over 50% of the population) who are living on more than that. Also, living costs in cities are greater and the further north you go the less living costs are (as a general rule). Hospitals tend to be located in cities.

3. Given that the population is densest in the south-east, that's where the most nurses will be - and this happens to be the most expensive part of the country to live and buy property.

4. As far as graduate or professional jobs go (of which nursing is one), 19k starting salary is good. HOWEVER... the increase in wage over the next 20 years is not. With wages only increasing to £35k-ish over that period, if nurses did have to pay tuition fees (for example), the loan would be written off before they had a chance to finish paying it. An graduate trainee accountant (for example) would start on between 15k-25k (depending on where they worked). In three years, once qualifying, their salary will raise to about 35k. Who has more responsbility?

and finally...

5. There aren't enough jobs for newly qualified nurses - the nhs has cut spending so that departments aren't allowed to take on any new nurses when one leaves. My friend (who is graduating from a nurses degree in june) has very little hope of getting a job when she does graduate, and has tales of 300 newly qualifieds turning up for 2 jobs. The system needs them but can't afford them.
  • Options

As the average wage in this country is 27k, there are a LOT of people (ie, over 50% of the population) who are living on more than that. .

No there aren't

The 27k is a measn average, there are only 50% of the population above the average if it is a median.

The median wage is lower than the mean, and in fact I would not be surprised if the average nurse were earning more than the median......
  • Options
    Toadborg wrote: »
    No there aren't

The 27k is a measn average, there are only 50% of the population above the average if it is a median.

The median wage is lower than the mean, and in fact I would not be surprised if the average nurse were earning more than the median......

Don't know what the average nurse earns, but the median wage is £447 a week, or £23250 (ish) pa.

• Options
    seeker wrote: »
    As Aladdin was replying to my post, I assume that I am among the "they" you refer to.

That being the case, you have made a lot of wild assumptions.

Perhaps your emotions are getting the better of you ? ( A wild assumption on my part, admittedly, but your post doesn`t seem to be "objective")

Do you think you are among the "they"?

I struggle to see how I have made "many" wild assumptions. It was a general observation reflecting the way the thread went. The fact that Jim V felt he had to say something just reinforces my point.
    Also let me point out that in a thread that's about the money, it's quite possible that money would of major (if not only) concern.

Alladin says that a)nurses are underpaid and b)20k is not a lot of money if you live in London on your own
    How this labels him as a "money is of only concern" guy, escapes me.
  • Options
    the nhs has cut spending so that departments aren't allowed to take on any new nurses when one leaves. My friend (who is graduating from a nurses degree in june) has very little hope of getting a job when she does graduate, and has tales of 300 newly qualifieds turning up for 2 jobs. The system needs them but can't afford them.

I'm not sure that the reason you think is the real one. This isn't simply a case not being able to "afford" something, but more of there being enough nurses in the system, just not necessarily in the "right" place.

E.g. More nurses in the community reduces the need for nurses on wards.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    Being a nurse is a much more demanding job than pushing paper in the civil service.

Really? A little simplistic there, but your predjudice against civil servants is noted ;):p

There are many civil service jobs which would fit the role you assume for them but many that don't. I know of one person who still has trouble slleeping over a decision he made regarding funding for treatment which he declined. The funding was for a child to go to the US for [potentially] life saving treatment and the child died within weeks. He made the correct decision, but that doesn't help his soul.

However, the chap who collects my taxes probably isn't in such a demanding face-to-face job. Yet even they don't have life easy. I personally remember getting death threats (in a previous job) and that was something low level and predominantely paper pushing...

What the focus on nurses says to me is that other civil service jobs aren't as valued for what they do for us, regardless of what their true worth is.
  • Options
    if nurses did have to pay tuition fees (for example), the loan would be written off before they had a chance to finish paying it.

TBH IMHO if you are training to go into nursing, or to be a doctor then it should be written off after you have done 5 years in the NHS anyway.

Same goes with other degree courses, if you work for the state afterwards then the state should recognise that. It's one thing I like about the way that US forces work...
  • Options
    But if they're in the system, surely they've got experience? I'm talking about newly qualifieds who used to work in conjunction with more experienced nurses - the impression i got was that they're just not taking on any newly qualifieds any more, whether it's in the community or on the ward.

However, as i mentioned, it was an anecdotal point - it was her experience from where she was training.
  • Options
    TBH IMHO if you are training to go into nursing, or to be a doctor then it should be written off after you have done 5 years in the NHS anyway.

Same goes with other degree courses, if you work for the state afterwards then the state should recognise that. It's one thing I like about the way that US forces work...

Yeah, i agree, but at the moment you've got up to 25 years to do it. Grrr. I'm earning a similar wage to a newly qualified nurse and i'm only *just* covering the interest (inflation) payments on my loan, let alone paying back the capital. And i didn't get the full loan either, i've only got £7000 to pay back unlike many of my peers who have between 9 and 12k.
  • Options
    But if they're in the system, surely they've got experience? I'm talking about newly qualifieds who used to work in conjunction with more experienced nurses - the impression i got was that they're just not taking on any newly qualifieds any more, whether it's in the community or on the ward.

Retention has improved since wages were increased but it isn't the whole story. It has become harder to rise through the ranks now, as it should be, and so there are fewer gaps at the bottom rung.

In addition, and this is relevant for doctors too, the Govt put huge effort into increasing course places and they are just starting to churn out the numbers. It looks a lot like there are far too many.

It's worth noting that the nurses in the community are usually more experienced. Mainly because they have to work on their own initiative.
    However, as i mentioned, it was an anecdotal point - it was her experience from where she was training.

It's pretty close..
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Hurrah for that.

Senior nurses can earn a fairly decent wage, about £35k for someone with 25 years experience as a ward sister, but for what they do the pay only just covers their worth.

£20,000 a year salary is nearly £7,000 a year below the average wage in this country, so to start claiming that £20k is a canny packet is quite clearly ludicrous. Lots of other people earn less, such as care assistants, and that is a disgrace too, but paying nurses less doesn't make it fair.

This goes far beyond what nurses are paid, though. Soldiers start on about £14k. Many clerical staff in the civil service will be on £10k at most.
    Re the bolded text, does it really cover their worth, though? A question that needs to be asked in this thread of anyone involved with hospital work, especially nursing, is this: is the current rate of pay ensuring the health of the NHS by attracting and retaining the most talented recruits (the justification offered for the skyhigh wages of so many company directors)? If the answer is 'no', and the NHS is slowly falling apart, then something is clearly wrong. Here in Gloucester, our local paper regularly gets a certain kind of letter. It's from a former patient, or relative of the same, commending staff for the wonderful treatment they received at Gloucester Royal Hospital (where I was born some 40 years ago). The other kind of letter we get is from (usually) anonymous staff, on the brink of resignation, complaining that they are being asked to do the undoable and that morale is in the gutter. We recently read reports of how blood and dirt was left in the reception area for lack of cleaners. It's quite hard to reconcile the latter criticisms with the glowing praise of those particular patients and their families, but it would be cynical to think that they might have something to gain from talking up the state of a hospital...

So the question again, particularly to nurses, is: do you think wages in the NHS make it a sufficiently rewarding career choice, or is it something one does in spite of the pay rather than because of it?

Edit: I also wanted to mention that before I had to start caring fulltime, I was getting nearly £15,000 a year. With overtime, including Sundays, I could make about £230 a week. I felt I was doing alright, but didn't have much of a life. That was in construction.
  • Options
    briggi wrote: »
    It might objectively be a "good" wage, but it is not good enough for nurses imo. Illustrated perfectly by the scores of qualified nurses who leave the profession year after year because the incredibly draining workload, disruptive shift patterns and meagre compensation are just too much. Obviously nurses love their job (for the most part, anyway) but we all work to be paid at the end of the day, and at the end of the day I don't think services rendered match up with the payslip.

I know this will sound patronising, don't take it that way, but it is glaringly obvious that you don't know a lot about the role of a nurse. If your friend indeed thinks that she is being paid fairly for her work then I suspect she undervalues herself too, because she should be being paid more.
    Which answers my question. I got the impression Katchicka (sp?) was a nurse too, but I must've misread. Informed opinion, therefore, maintains thus far that nursing is not valued properly as a profession.
  • Options
    seeker wrote: »
    Toadborg wrote: »
    I thought a typical reference to thathcer by people like you would be to greed. Thatchers children I imagine most people would take to mean materialistic, greedy people motivated primarily by money.

Yet it is kat who is saying that 20k is a lot of money and you saying the opposite!
    It does look like that, doesn`t it?
    'Love of money is the root of all evil' not money in itself. The first two words tend to get missed out. A decent wage for a hard, exhausting, emotionally stressful job is not beyond the pall, in a world that is still far from a utopian ideal where people never die, suffer injury or get sick.
  • Options
    It's pretty close..

To what, sorry? I'm a bit confused...

And I think that was always my friend's point - she's graduating when the fruit of Labour's labours are (is) occurring... there has now become a surplus of 'fully trained' nurses and a deficit of jobs, possibly because of the sheer quantity that have just been through university.

*shrugs* I'm not sure they'll ever be able to justify or quantify the pay of any civil servant, whether they be police, nurses or 'paper pushers'. I do, however, believe that unless there is a bloody good reason, they should pay in line with inflation. Otherwise it's just not equivalent pay.
  • Options
    Really? A little simplistic there, but your predjudice against civil servants is noted ;):p

There are many civil service jobs which would fit the role you assume for them but many that don't. I know of one person who still has trouble slleeping over a decision he made regarding funding for treatment which he declined. The funding was for a child to go to the US for [potentially] life saving treatment and the child died within weeks. He made the correct decision, but that doesn't help his soul.

However, the chap who collects my taxes probably isn't in such a demanding face-to-face job. Yet even they don't have life easy. I personally remember getting death threats (in a previous job) and that was something low level and predominantely paper pushing...

What the focus on nurses says to me is that other civil service jobs aren't as valued for what they do for us, regardless of what their true worth is.

Not quite the same as dealing with sick and dying people everyday, and their relatives, is it?
  • Options
  • Options
    Not quite the same as dealing with sick and dying people everyday, and their relatives, is it?

It isn't?
  • Options

Most nurses don't deal with dying people every day- the nurses on £35k at NHS Direct certainly don't.

Besides which, why does dealing with dead people mean you should get paid more? Blood money? There are many people in the public sector who do as important a job as nurses- such as benefits workers, housing workers, social workers- and don't have anyone being bothered about their salaries.

My original argument wasn't about nurses, as I feel that nurses just about receive a fair wage for their work (although a few extra grand wouldn't go amiss, its not as bad as it was), it was about public sector workers in general.
    Toadborg wrote:
    What analysis have you been researching to come to the cocnlusion that city bonuses and BTL (which you seem to mention in every thread, bizarrely) are driving inflation. Sources of info please?

So you don't think paying the top 5% huge bonuses each year doesn't drive inflation? That'd be why a top of the range ferrari still costs 2 and 6, yeah?
  • Options
    Not to mention house prices.

January and February are great months if you have a house in a fashionable part of town to sell as the City boys have all that bonus money to burn.
  • Options
    House prices are the reason why inflation is running at 3%, and house prices are being driven by the BTL market, which in turn is being driven by City bonuses being invested in property.

The solution, of course, is to cool the property market down, rather than paying those at the bottom less.

Brown's poor wage rises have more to do with the fact that he's bankrupted the country, though, rather than anything to do with inflation. We have no gold left, as Brown sold it, and we have no money. It's a good job we're in the EU otherwise we'll end up like Argentina.
  • Options
    CPI doesn't include investment purchases or homes!
    It's a good job we're in the EU otherwise we'll end up like Argentina.

Completely different situation. Argentina's crisis was caused by provincial governments incuring large amounts of debt. They were unable to cover this debt because of how the exchange rate was fixed.
  • Options
    So you don't think paying the top 5% huge bonuses each year doesn't drive inflation? That'd be why a top of the range ferrari still costs 2 and 6, yeah?

Top range ferrari's are expensive because they make so few of them, not because city dealers make money.

And city dealers make big money because they make big profits for their firms. Those profits are then taxed (as are the big earners themselves) to pay for nurses etc.

You could off course tax them more and then the business head off to countries with a better tax regime.

And given that the multi-million bonuses are paid to so few people you might as well say football players wage fuel inflation or that Robbie Williams et al are doing so....
  • Options
    It isn't?

No.
  • Options
    Most nurses don't deal with dying people every day- the nurses on £35k at NHS Direct certainly don't.

Besides which, why does dealing with dead people mean you should get paid more? Blood money? There are many people in the public sector who do as important a job as nurses- such as benefits workers, housing workers, social workers- and don't have anyone being bothered about their salaries.

My original argument wasn't about nurses, as I feel that nurses just about receive a fair wage for their work (although a few extra grand wouldn't go amiss, its not as bad as it was), it was about public sector workers in general.

Yeah, I agree actually. I have a personal interest in nurses wages though as my partner will be training as a mental health nurse in September.
  • Options
    And given that the multi-million bonuses are paid to so few people you might as well say football players wage fuel inflation or that Robbie Williams et al are doing so....

I'm not talking about the multi-million bonuses, though, because they are paid to a minority. But a lot of City workers will pull in £30k or £40k bonuses, which get pumped into housing and consumer goods, driving inflation.

I do think footballers do drive inflation, of course they do, 20 years ago they were earning a quarter- if that- of what they do now. The reason why house prices in much of Cheshire have gone up five-fold in as many years is because of all the "new money"- footballers, musicians, City types, etc.

Put it this way, inflation isn't going to be cured by giving the bloke on minimum wage a tiny pay rise.
  • Options
    I'm not talking about the multi-million bonuses, though, because they are paid to a minority. But a lot of City workers will pull in £30k or £40k bonuses, which get pumped into housing and consumer goods, driving inflation.

I do think footballers do drive inflation, of course they do, 20 years ago they were earning a quarter- if that- of what they do now. The reason why house prices in much of Cheshire have gone up five-fold in as many years is because of all the "new money"- footballers, musicians, City types, etc.

Put it this way, inflation isn't going to be cured by giving the bloke on minimum wage a tiny pay rise.

I'd agree with that. But then I don't think its going to be cured by cutting top-wages either. If inflation is going to be cured its linking wage increases to productivity and GVA increases. And probably the reason it will never be controlled is that its bloody hard to measure what these are.
  • Options
    Of course inflation can't be curbed, because the loaf of bread goes up by 3% to pay for the 3% payrise to the baker. But paying those at the bottom below the rate of inflation isn't going to do anything to anyone- except those at the bottom will have even less money than they do now.

How do you measure productivity though? And how do you link pay rises to it? What always happens is that the people who put the effort in- the front-line workers- create the productivity and the senior management claim the plaudits and justify their mega salaries because of it.

To be honest, I am all for taxing the rich more, and if they move their money offshore then that's fine- confiscate all their property, tear up their passport, and don't let them or their family back into the country.
  • Options
    No.

On the basis of...