Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Pulling my hair out

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've got this weird behaviour recently, I keep pulling my hairs out. I don't know why, it's like biting your nails! Any recommendations to stop before I go bald? :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    theres a name for it....begins with T i think. Try wearing gloves?
    I read about a similar problem of a girl on a different forum who pulled her hair out too, because of any kind of traumatic experience with lice in her childhood. It seemed to be a deep sitting post-traumatic issue, which she attended councelling/therapy for.

Dunno much about it,... just... be more attentive and stop doing it, until it's gone for good?
    Ballerina wrote: »
    theres a name for it....begins with T i think. Try wearing gloves?

Trichotillomania?
    My sister had this problem when she was younger, she was being bullied at the time which seemed to trigger it. You should go and speak to your doctor if its really problematic. I thought the idea of wearing gloves was a good suggestion, or what about wearing your hair up or wearing a hat.
    Wearing my hair up? Heh, it's quite short, man length. I thought it was really weird and uncommon. Anyway, I don't think it's as bad as needing therapy, like I said it's like biting your nails, you don't really notice you're it. It starts as a compulsion to itch (even with clean hair) and then I just start yanking hairs out absentmindedly! I never really thought about it until today and I thought, I pull out 9/10 hairs each day, have been doing so for a few weeks, can't be good. I'm not pulling out whole clumps thuogh, I think that would hurt too much.
    Sofie wrote: »
    Trichotillomania?

yep
    I do it, either when I'm bored or stressed.

Find something else to fiddle with, stress ball, cable tie, bit of blue tack, you get the idea.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Wearing my hair up? Heh, it's quite short, man length. I thought it was really weird and uncommon. Anyway, I don't think it's as bad as needing therapy, like I said it's like biting your nails, you don't really notice you're it. It starts as a compulsion to itch (even with clean hair) and then I just start yanking hairs out absentmindedly! I never really thought about it until today and I thought, I pull out 9/10 hairs each day, have been doing so for a few weeks, can't be good. I'm not pulling out whole clumps thuogh, I think that would hurt too much.
    Still seeing a counsellor/therapist might help.
    Ooh i used to do this. I used to pull the hairs out where my parting was, until eventually i ended up with an extra wide parting and a frizzy mohican when it all grew back :D
    I used to do it, and ended up giving myself a bald patch.
    Its really hard to stop, and i cant remember how i managed it.

sorry thats no help.
    there must be a reason you do this you should deal with that! i pick the skin around my fingers when i worried or agitated or in some sort of negative state of mind although sometimes i do it when im bored.
    is there something that is bothering you?
    I get anxious a lot, worrying about life in general i.e. I've been changing course at uni and just been unsure about my whole life in a way, but not majorly, just worry sometimes. I think *overall* my anxiety levels are relatively high (calming down a bit now).

Actually, conciously thinking about it I have been able to pretty much stop. It takes willpower :mad: (supposed to be a determined smiley, lol). Yea, where I do is like lacy may, on my crown (I have two, it's on my right one...) and if I put my hand up there it feels like there's less hair... but all the hair flops over to the left anyway!
    sounds like an anxiety thing then, not that im some sort of doctor. im a very anxious person too and ALWAYS worry about something which means my plans of having nice unpicked fingers for my wedding in september are not going to happen ha ha. im laughing but i hate how anxious i am!
    i think you should go and see your doctor cause if you end up with bad patches your self esteem is likely to take a nose dive and it will just be a vicious circle getting worse and worse. nip it in the bud before it gets you in a right pickle.