Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Changing course?

13»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Yea I'm confident with that kind of thing, but really I think the market is saturated.

I wish someone would firebomb pc world though, they charge something like £30 for a lan cable (you can buy these for < £1, or £3-£4 for a 'high quality' one), £50 to change your ram, they're stupidly expensive.

And they're not that good either, they'll just say hardware error before trying to fix it.

edit: my advice is just if something goes, don't try and get it fixed, sod it and get a new OEM one.
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    Well it's official, they're just filling out the paperwork now :).

:yippe: You must feel so much better now its sorted.
    Congrats, you must be happier now. You've still got a while to work out what you're going to do from now till Sept, so take some time out and enjoy relaxing for a little while.

I wish someone would firebomb pc world though, they charge something like £30 for a lan cable (you can buy these for < £1, or £3-£4 for a 'high quality' one), £50 to change your ram, they're stupidly expensive.

Why dont you take it back to PC World? and get it somewhere else cheaper?

Enjoy your time off, spend it wisely, cos time goes so fast. :thumb:

But learn how to chill your beans big time
    Hey there,
    Basically i am the same as you, i am Maths at UCL and its like you said, the maths is crap and im bored of it and its "too" mentally demanding, its not the work that a lot to do, its the actual understanding, i think you might find a forum that i use regularly particularly useful its (www.thestudentroom.co.uk) and pose in the relavant Subforum. Wheni first started maths i knew it wasnt for me, so basically i reapplied via ucas, and i coincidentally applied for a few management courses along with Accounting and Finance. I think its a tad late to apply to other universities, but im sure you can move internally, since you got ABC i think that you will need to pass the first year maths witha respectable grade. PM me if you need to ask anything, but i dont use this as much as i do the other one, i am Death Eater.
    Calvin wrote: »
    Why dont you take it back to PC World? and get it somewhere else cheaper?

Enjoy your time off, spend it wisely, cos time goes so fast. :thumb:

But learn how to chill your beans big time

lol I didn't buy it from computer world, I just see myself as a consumer advisor, I don't want other people getting ripped off.

Nice av ;).

So in the summer I'm going to be bored, if anyone wants a new PC or their computer breaks down and they live near the east midlands I'll come and have a look :thumb:.

Oh and vmong - I got accepted already ;) hehe. I'm a member of TSR already actually, just don't post a tonne there.
    HAHA yeah i can see, you post a tonne here :P, oh yeah sorry i didnt read it all lol i usually just read the first post and then give my 2 cents lol, oh your doing Accounting and Finance too, il be going to LSE for it and the first year there are a few math modules which im slightly scrared of lol, even though im an AAA student i dont know why i found maths so hard at UCL!!! oh well its kinda over now,
    Math is a tricky one at university, it's different from a lot of courses in that you can't 'learn' it in a traditional way. I was going mental doing 24/7 maths at uni, now I get to do a bit of contextual maths, along with some real world practical stuff, and even a bit of HR just to be flowery.
    An epic idea just struck me.

I want to travel.

I've got 2/3 of a year to do nothing.

I might still get the end dollop of my student loan for this year, maybe I can work along the way....

This could be a great year! :D China, here I come! (and India, and the rest :p)
    An epic idea just struck me.

I want to travel.

I've got 2/3 of a year to do nothing.

I might still get the end dollop of my student loan for this year, maybe I can work along the way....

This could be a great year! :D China, here I come! (and India, and the rest :p)

Thats what i would do if i was you. I would love to go traveling (but no money)

I think it will do you the world of good. Go and book your flight today :D
    Heh, I got voted onto the commitee for the society I joined this year (www.fragsoc.co.uk). So looks like I'm gonna hang around next term and try and get some kind of job, then in the summer I can go on my travels :). This is shaping up to be a fairly good year!!
    On a slightly different note, I must admit I hold a certain admiration for those people who can proceed to study Maths at a degree level. A few years ago at college, a friend of mine who was doing A-Level Maths showed me some of the questions they had to do. He was one of the best in the class, and he admitted openly to finding them profusely difficult. I don't think you should be too disappointed to be dropping the subject, as you'd have had to do a considerable amount of work to get there in the first place, so all credit on that.
    I don't feel bad at all; I could do the maths, but I had no motivation whatsoever, because it was so pure, and seemed a bit pointless. It is difficult, but you just have to build on what you already know, and it's fairly step-by-step to learn it. Of course, since my department didn't give out copies of lecture notes, as soon as you miss a lecture you will find it impossibly hard to catch up :)

My new department are quite forward thinking, they tell you what the lecture is going to be about in advance, some suggested reading so you understand it, and in lectures its less copying it off the board and more comprehension.

:D

I'm thrilled tbh. I still don't have the paper tho!
    stargalaxy wrote: »
    On a slightly different note, I must admit I hold a certain admiration for those people who can proceed to study Maths at a degree level. A few years ago at college, a friend of mine who was doing A-Level Maths showed me some of the questions they had to do. He was one of the best in the class, and he admitted openly to finding them profusely difficult.

I found most of my maths subjects at A-level (except the mechanics module) fairly easy once I got my head round it. I was the best in the class though. :p
    I found most of my maths subjects at A-level (except the mechanics module) fairly easy once I got my head round it. I was the best in the class though. :p

:yes: A-Level maths wasn't particularly difficult I did it in a year and then further maths A-Level the year after...still couldn't hack degree maths though. :chin:
    Small tinge of disappointment today.

After being elected onto the commitee in my soc, and seeming to make more friends there, going out to pub pretty often, I'd thought maybe I could stay next term and work at uni. But got a letter through today and it seems I can't because I have to leave uni accomodation, and my student loan / grant / everything else will be suspended. Not that I should have expected it really, I was planning to go home, just suppose would have been nice to lounge for the next term and save up some cash for travelling in the summer.

Now I have to try and find a job in Leicester, which pretty much means minimum wage retail :(, and it's Leicester. I feel like I could cry, I hate ze place. But beggars can't be choosers and I don't want to sound ungrateful, just disappointed really I can't spend the last term at uni.
    Did you not see it coming that if you were going to leave uni for the rest of the year then you would no longer count as a student, thus lose your funding and your accomodation?

If you're desperate to stay in York then one option would be to hunt/ask around because there are usually shared houses with spare rooms knocking about from where people have fallen out/dropped out etc so you might be able to get somewhere to live through that.
    Well yea, it was just wishful thinking :) I'm disappointed but I wasn't shocked or anything. Just would have been nice to stay up here really.
    Well like I said, look around for house shares that have a spare room in them. They are only kicking you out of uni accomodation, not thet city or York.
    Well like I said, look around for house shares that have a spare room in them. They are only kicking you out of uni accomodation, not thet city or York.

Yea, but because they aren't giving me the loan, I will just be 'living' if I get a job (because accomodation will take take a hefty chunk out of my income), when my original objective was to save :).

So going home and saving is what I'm gonna do!