Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Recovering from a stomach bug

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've had a stomach bug since Monday evening. I spent most of Monday night in the bathroom, was okay til mid-afternoon yesterday then ill again and then spent fourteen hours asleep. Since Monday teatime, I've eaten half a piece of toast and three ginger nut biscuits (and been ill afterwards each time).

I was going to go into work this afternoon. I got up at 9am and have had a bath and sat on the sofa since, but now my stomach is killing (probably from hunger!) and I can barely stand upright.

I've lost 8 pounds in 36 hours! Was only 8 stone in the first place :crying:

Any tips on what to eat to help me recover? I haven't had a stomach bug for about seven years - forgot how crap it feels! :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Try to eat anything that is light, such as toast, soup. A dippy egg is good too. Maybe a banana, all things that's light and not too difficult to digest.
    Try drinking coke (as in cola) in small amounts (the sugary stuff, not the diet or zero crap). It's acidic so often sits well in an upset stomach and you get some sugar into your system pretty fast.
    Like it has already been suggested, try to eat something light. And even if you don't feel like it, you should eat; else you just bring up bile. (I think that's what it's called?)
    Sip water rather then gulp it, it keeps you rehydrated and settles your stomach. Sucking ice cubes can help reydrate you as well. Bio-active yoghurts/drinks can also help settle your stomach. And eat plenty of plain foods for the next few days (no spice. excess sugar/salt/fat) as they can make you feel worse.
    I would say get someon to pop to the supermarket and get some dioralyte. It will help rehydrate you replce some of the salts you have lost. Sometimes the dehydration can make you feel even worse. I suggest you add squash to the dioralyte though cos it tastes foul and salty. As someone else said take small sips often as gulping it down is likely to just make you sick. Hope that helps :thumb:
    Argh I feel for you, I'm recovering from a bug too...luckily I seem to be getting over mine, 12 hours of throwing up and another 12 hours before I could stand without shaking. I've reached about the 36 hour mark but I still have no appetite! Normally I'm a piggy so I'm enjoying not having to eat! When I eventually do I think I'll go for some soup
    Well it's 36hrs now since I was last ill (again, won't go into detail!)..

Yesterday, I ate three slices of dry toast, then more toast with a small tin of beans and sausage (suddenly fancied it!) and stuck to fruity drinks all day - Orange Lucozade and Ribena, as milk and even tea had made me ill earlier.

Today I woke up feeling fine and have had tea (never been so dying for a cuppa before!), Ribena and a plate of plain oven chips. I feel rather full after the chips, but I guess that's cos my stomach has shrunk so much. Just got to sit still for longer after I eat now to make sure I feel okay and not ill again.

Just got to work out a way to put that 8lb back on now! Roll on a few days once I can eat cream cakes again! :D
    I hope I've lost 8lb! :D