Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

the minefield of friendship after a relationship

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Right, so after reading and posting in JMS's thread, I thought I'd make my own...

been with a girl 4 years (first relationship), didnt work out, It's been a few months now, but I still love her and all that malarkey.

she's added me as a friend on facebook now, which I turned down, as I said I wasn't ready to treat her only as a friend, to which she replied something along the lines of

"fine, I don't consider you my friend"

which, although initiated by me, really hurt :( more so because I really didnt want to hurt her by saying so. I'm lost really, I don't want to feel crappy all the time, thinking about her and not sleeping at night, but I also dont want to hurt her. I'm pretty sure she's pissed off with me now.

Comments

• Options
    I think that by midly pissing her off at this stage you are saving both of you from further hurt and trauma further down the line.

Its a good thing that you didn't accept her invitation - but I would write back something along the lines of. I am sorry you feel that way but I dont' feel ready yet - but please dont' discount us being friends for the future. Then review how you feel in a years time.

I think that it is virtually impossible to be friends with someone after you have broken up with them - for at least a couple of years. I am probably not one to talk as i've not been wildly good at maintaining friendships with ex's but the couple I do still speak to - i'm friendly and the like but not overly so.
  • Options
    thanks Wytry, that's kinda what I was aiming at...

it is just a silly website, but it's one I check daily, if not more so, and I dont want a daily reminder of what I no longer have! (plus her profile pic is sexiful which just rubs it in :p )

but then, I dont want to loose touch with her. I still dont know whether I even want to get over her, I cant picture us just being freinds.

also, I might be going to visit freinds at the weekend, in same town she's in. I dont know whether to tell her I'm coming down or not! I want to see her, but in the long run I guess that's not a good idea. If she see's me out in town and I havn't told her I'm down, it'll probably upset her.

damn I sound pathetic :blush:
  • Options
    yea.. like wyerty said. Show the cold shoulder, but do not write anything back to show how terribly hurt you are... That's the worst you can do and I know a lot about worst case scenarios, so just believe me.

You are doing the best for your own mental health, and believe it or not, the thoughts will go away, not today, not tomorrow, but one day you'll think about her once again and be like, "pff... a closed chapter in my life."

Moreover could you give her a teeny weeny guild trip, which is always a smirk on the face of Mr. Sadistic Glee.

Chin up mate... as hard as it sounds, you know it's the only reasonable thing.
  • Options
    thing is, if I were to give her a guilt trip I'd feel guilty myself :p
    makes things harder in that I still have feeling for her, and she still has feelings for me.
  • Options
    Replicant wrote: »
    thing is, if I were to give her a guilt trip I'd feel guilty myself :p
    makes things harder in that I still have feeling for her, and she still has feelings for me.

*cough* "fine, I don't consider you my friend" *cough*

What is she trying to do? Blackmail your for friendship? Just leave it rest for a few months and act accordingly then.

There is nothing wrong with getting in contact with her after like 2 years. the sheets were washed white and it's a good feeling to meet again someone you know 'a long time ago'.
  • Options
    I wouldn't play games with her - it didnt' work out with the two of you for a reason and though you both have feelings for each other - I sense you both have accepted that you won't be getting back togeather in the near future.

Go out this weekend - don't contact her at all - and most importantly have some FUN.
  • Options
    aye, you're both right. still sucks though, it's so confusing all this rubbish.
  • Options
    facebook is the devil. wise move. you don't need to know her daily status photos of her blah blah. :)
  • Options
    yeah, as much as I'd like to, I've hiden all photo's of her, just makes me wana call/text her when I see them.

it's guna be wierd if I go down for the weekend and dont see her :(
  • Options
    Yeh it'll be strange just plan your weekend as much as poss so you're not sittin about thinking of her. it'll do you good.
  • Options
    yes, yes it will. also because I am hella bored at the moment :p mainly due to people not being able to come visit for various reasons...

anyways, guna be especially odd as I'll probably be staying about 3 mins walk from her house too.

...never though this would be so hard :lol:
  • Options
    OP, whilst you are somewhat justified in feeling crap for her having said that, what did you expect her to say? Fair play, you were totally honest and laid your cards on the table and she rejected them. It's going to hurt but it was never going to really be any different was it?

I'm not pointing a finger or anything because trust me, I'm going through the same thing. There is a very thin line between hate and love. Take some time to cool off and who knows, maybe in 5 years you two will laugh about it.

However, in the meantime, however hard it may be, you have to let go. She's made it very clear where she stands, which I guess is commendable so now you know where you stand. The only person that is going to come off badly in this is you unfortunately.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote: »
    Its a good thing that you didn't accept her invitation - but I would write back something along the lines of. I am sorry you feel that way but I dont' feel ready yet - but please dont' discount us being friends for the future. Then review how you feel in a years time.

This seems like a good idea.
  • Options
    ...what did you expect her to say?...

I really don't know to be honest... I was just trying to do what's best, but when you're all messed up it's almost impossible to know what that is.

she didnt mean what she said, I know that much. but as I've said, I dont know what I was expecting. (besides making things more confusing!)

although, after 4 years it seems a shame to just break contact.
  • Options
    facebook is the devil. wise move. you don't need to know her daily status photos of her blah blah. :)

very true. I made the mistake of accepting the friend request from my ex. Gives me high blood pressure every time she updates.

It might work to just be straight forward with her and tell her that you want to work towards being friends but you're not at that point yet. That way she doesn't think it was some sort of snub.
  • Options
    Oh dear, the ex to friends thingee. Oh how I know what you are going through. Take it slow. It is up to YOU when you want to be friends.

I know it is hard to let go entirely, I haven't done it myself, but you think "why should I? I might aswell try it."

*sigh* Good luck. We need it :S
  • Options
    I really dont know mate, im at the stage now of just not saying anything to her. So many times ive just come home for the weekend and ive decided to randomly text her and see her, at the time its the great, but when its gone i think of why we stopped and i think im an idiot for seeing her. I think now that if i dont say anything to her then i cant hurt her anymore and so far ive carried on with ignoring her, not that i feel good about doing it. Just i dunno, guess it helps not knowing whats shes doing, ahh thats a shit reason i know but i guess you understand when your in that situation.

Going back to the facebook thing, i had my ex as a friend, then i got rid of her as a friend as i kept looking at her profile which doesnt help. I'm even getting to the stage where im rejecting being a friend with one of her friends as i know she has pics on the profile. Its that bad i guess, not that i cant stand looking at her, i dunno just i guess it reminds me of things id rather forget now.

She's tried texting and talking on msn the last few days to me, ive just tried my best to ignore it. I know maybe a shitty thing to do, but i don't think i could ever see us being friends really, which is sad as we really did get on. Doesnt make any sense i guess, i know it doesnt to her. I loved her too much and she broke my heart. Even a year on from it all i don't stop thinking about it, and its going to take a long while before i do stop thinking about it.

Mine wasnt the longest of relationships compared to yours but i still felt for her. Just don't make my mistake of constantly making stupid decisions and then regretting them later. If you can, try and cut her out of your life for a while. I know you cant forget about her, thats a stupid thing to ask as it won't happen. She'll always be in your mind, i know she will. Maybe dont text her or even reply to texts shes sends, maybe thats a start. The less you know about what shes doing the better it is i find, but maybe thats because the situations are different i dunno.

It is very weird really, i do surround myself with my friends at uni and keep myself busy but at then end of the day i do always seem to think about her, no matter whats happened. I guess thats what happens .. even a year on. But i guess its upto me now to move on, but like you i dont know if i want to .. stupid as it may seem. Ha these things are weird and stupid arent they.

Well not really much advice there, just thought i'd type for a while, seems to help every now and then.
  • Options
    thanks for that goodfella, that's pretty much exactly how I'm feeling :yes:

and you're right, they are weird and stupid, but they still make us feel crap!
  • Options
    how weird! my ex recently added me to facebook but i haven't accepted it. he has a new girlfriend now and i assume she's on it too and when i log on i just don't want reminding of him all the time! she didn't react very well to it.. but that says more about her than it does you.

i'm actually properly getting somewhere with my ex now (been split up a year and a half!!) - so i don't want to start going backwards.
    just do what feels right for you. :)
  • Options
    Goodfella, how did you not feel sick when you saw her? I saw mine for the first time in 4 months today. My heart dropped to my gut and I felt like crying. Jeeeez. And we are supposed to start talking again.

Beginning to think that "the best way to get over someone is to get under another."

Maybe you should move on with someone else now if you can. If not, just space yourself until you are ready
  • Options
    Goodfella, how did you not feel sick when you saw her? I saw mine for the first time in 4 months today. My heart dropped to my gut and I felt like crying. Jeeeez. And we are supposed to start talking again.

Beginning to think that "the best way to get over someone is to get under another."

Maybe you should move on with someone else now if you can. If not, just space yourself until you are ready

(( hug ))
  • Options

I never really felt sick when i saw her, was really good to see her. My heart was still pounding away when i saw her, does everytime. Guess the only times i feel "sick" or bad is after i'd seen her or if i think about her with that other bloke.

Things will be fine and dandy soon i hope for everyone :)
  • Options
    I get that when I see a picture of my ex... like others have said, I dont want a daily reminder of what I dont have.

seems she thinks the actual reason I dont want her to join is because she reckons I've been hiding something on there. booo, that makes things even worse and now she's proper upset with me.

this is a loose-loose game I'm beginning to think :(