Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

FAO Knitters!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I want to learn to knit....but how? Any tips? Places i can learn (websites) or books?

please note im really crap

Comments

• Options
    My boyfriend knits, he asked his mum to show him how to make the first cast off then just got the hang of it. Do you have grandparents or know anyone that knits? In my experience it's usually the older generation that does knit so if you know anyone they might appreciate the company.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Oooooh ...

http://www.knittinghelp.com/ is great for tutorials for both the basics and more. It has lots of great, easy to follow instructions and videos to knit along to, so that you can see it being done.

Then, if you want a book to use, The Stitch 'n' Bitch Handbook is a great place to start.

For free patterns, I like knitty.com as it shows the difficulty levels.

It is such an easy thing to pick up. Hope you have fun with it :D
  • Options
    i thought this thread said "FAO Knickers" on first glance.

Which saddens me, because i am in fact a pair of knickers, and was about to reply

:(

Back on topic, i want to learn to knit too!
  • Options
    I have my husbands aunts who know how to knit, but they're not fluent in english and they go at full speed....which is why i asked here :p

And thanks laura, im hoping to learn before im bedridden in pregnancy....then i can make lots of baby clothes :p
  • Options
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Amira wrote: »
    I have my husbands aunts who know how to knit, but they're not fluent in english and they go at full speed....which is why i asked here :p

And thanks laura, im hoping to learn before im bedridden in pregnancy....then i can make lots of baby clothes :p

Baby clothes are great. My mum knits loads of them and then sells them through a little independent shop in Edinburgh.

Good luck with it all and you know where I am if you need assistance. Not that you will, of course, because it is actually fairly easy :yes:

:p
  • Options
    My nan tought me lol
    im sure theres lots of books out there with step by step instructions
  • Options
    Oooooh ...

http://www.knittinghelp.com/ is great for tutorials for both the basics and more. It has lots of great, easy to follow instructions and videos to knit along to, so that you can see it being done.

:yes:

I was going to suggest this, as there's only so much you can pick up from looking at pictures in books. In the absence of having an actual person there to show you how to knit, these videos are the next best thing.
  • Options
    My grandma taught me when I was younger. Only ever really knit little toys now and that tends to only be when I know someone who's pregnant though.
  • Options
    stich & bitch books!

they are the best by far!