Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Gaming addiction

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
(Not sure this is the best place for it so you can move it if you want)

I think im addicted to a computer game. Well I probably am. Not sure though :confused:

My life doesnt consist of much at the moment, get up, go to work come home, have dinner chat to parents bath, then play World Of Warcraft. probably play it 4 hours a night. All weekday nights I would say. If i havent got plans on friday and saturday night ill play then too. Saturday and sunday if im not (cleaning room, car, shopping golfing) ill play wow all day, dont really have breaks except for lunch and drinks/loo breaks etc.

I havent got a G/F at the moment (trying to avoid them at the moment).

I dont feel im addicted but i know i play too much. My parents watch TV all week day nights while im playing WoW. So i kinda dis regard this time i play (i dont really enjoy watching TV as my argument is by playing a game, my mind is being sort of stimulated by having to think about various aspects of the game. Also im part of a clan type thing which is quite sociable in some sort.)

I dont really know what im looking for here in the post. I guess its advice/ideas/general thoughts.

One thing i would like is some ideas as to how to entertain myself in the evenings without being on the PC.

p.s. I work in IT so stare at screens all day :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Are you addicted or not? Well have you tried not playing, and can you manage not to happily? I think that'd probably give you some idea of if you're addicted or not.
    I think you do play a bit too much though. Probably not a good idea to be on the computer most of the day.
    Could do some sport/walking/swimming/gym, reading, pick up a different hobby to spend more time on?
    Phoenix_ wrote: »
    (Not sure this is the best place for it so you can move it if you want)

I think im addicted to a computer game. Well I probably am. Not sure though :confused:

My life doesnt consist of much at the moment, get up, go to work come home, have dinner chat to parents bath, then play World Of Warcraft. probably play it 4 hours a night. All weekday nights I would say. If i havent got plans on friday and saturday night ill play then too. Saturday and sunday if im not (cleaning room, car, shopping golfing) ill play wow all day, dont really have breaks except for lunch and drinks/loo breaks etc.

I havent got a G/F at the moment (trying to avoid them at the moment).

I dont feel im addicted but i know i play too much. My parents watch TV all week day nights while im playing WoW. So i kinda dis regard this time i play (i dont really enjoy watching TV as my argument is by playing a game, my mind is being sort of stimulated by having to think about various aspects of the game. Also im part of a clan type thing which is quite sociable in some sort.)

I dont really know what im looking for here in the post. I guess its advice/ideas/general thoughts.

One thing i would like is some ideas as to how to entertain myself in the evenings without being on the PC.

p.s. I work in IT so stare at screens all day :(

I use to play WoW 15 hours a day.. so no.. your not very addicted..
    4 hours after work? Naw thats nothing.. everyone who plays WoW becomes addicted anyways.. so you maybe be or may not be but im just saying
    The issue with addiction is not how often you play it or for how long you play for but how you cope (or fail to cope) when you don't play it. As Lu_C suggested, why don't you try to go without for a while and see what happens?

Your original post seems to suggest to me that you are filling a void with gaming rather than the gaming being the cause of you not going out etc.

Many people watch TV for hours on end because they have nothing better to do as you say and for most of them it does not cause problems. If I had to fill a few hours I would be much happier if messing about online than watching TV for the reasons you stated.
    OCD_John wrote: »
    I use to play WoW 15 hours a day.. so no.. your not very addicted..
    4 hours after work? Naw thats nothing.. everyone who plays WoW becomes addicted anyways

I bet you didnt start the game by playing it for 15 hours a day did you? Im just worried that I may get over addicted then realise ive got no job, no friends etc (like you hear about these other people who get obssesd with it.

Ive played for 12 hours straight before and not realised the time. :crazyeyes

Randomgirl wrote:
    The issue with addiction is not how often you play it or for how long you play for but how you cope (or fail to cope) when you don't play it. As Lu_C suggested, why don't you try to go without for a while and see what happens?

I took a month off and did other things, didnt really miss it. My best mate (who i got hooked on it) kept on telling me about what new things there were with the new expansion. I did feel that i wanted to play it, but i think it was because i wanted to see all the new parts of the game.

Anyways, im off to the gym tonight, break the regular routine, i think ill join and try go there 3 nights a week, which will lessen the time i play. :chin:
    Phoenix_ wrote: »
    I took a month off and did other things, didnt really miss it. My best mate (who i got hooked on it) kept on telling me about what new things there were with the new expansion. I did feel that i wanted to play it, but i think it was because i wanted to see all the new parts of the game.

Anyways, im off to the gym tonight, break the regular routine, i think ill join and try go there 3 nights a week, which will lessen the time i play. :chin:

:yes: I took a while off and didn't miss it too, your right. My friend got me back into it with the expansion, but then my gamecard ran out shortly after, and a bunch of my friends quit WoW, and now they are doing stuff in a game called R.L(Real Life)
    So many people become addicted to that game!!!!

I reckon it should be banned.

I ditched a boyfriend as he was so addicted he'd cancel nights out and stuff. NOw he just stays at home and plays wjile all his mates are out partying!!!