Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Defering a year half way through studies?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Is this possible?
For example, is it possible to complete the 1st year then take a year out and go back a year later to complete my studies?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    yup. probably a pain to organise though.

that said, the person I know who did it dropped out in the second year about easter time, and retook after the summer, as he was having difficulty with the course for various reasons, which is a bit different to what you want to do.

if it's for no other reason than you want to go travelling or something, it'll probably be possible. although you may end up having to pay any new fee structure that comes in, in between you leaving and coming back (if there is one).

have a talk to your tutor or head of course about it :)
    yea it's possible, just go and talk to your tutor about it all.
    Yeah its possible. My uni experience was full of deferments/ changing unis/ placement years. Just make good friends with your course leader, cos you will need their permission if you want to get back on the course :thumb:

Good luck with it :D
    Yup, completely possible. I'm doing it at the moment. Most places will want you to have a good reason for doing it though. Your tutor should be able to explain more.
    Yup, I took a year out in the middle of my course. I had to go all the way up to the Head of Faculty in order to get it approved though. He did say that if I wasn't ready to come back after one year, I could take up to three years out. Obviously I did have to have a good reason; mine was to make enough money so that I didn't have to work full-time in my final year and to do a bit of travelling, which would help with my job applications when I eventually left uni.

Good luck.
    icey wrote: »
    Is this possible?
    For example, is it possible to complete the 1st year then take a year out and go back a year later to complete my studies?

:yes: intermitting your studies is possible. it should be as simple as getting 1 form signed. you have upto 8 years to complete a bachelors degree from start to end max. if you want your degree it must be completed within that time frame.