Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

What countries have you visited?

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    To be fair, I haven't been on holiday with my mum since we went to America just after our GCSEs, as a treat for having DONE said GCSEs. Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda and Zanzibar are all from visiting my dad. Peru was a college trip, and the rest were all short trips except for Turkey (which was a week).

I am not spoilt :grump:.
    England
    Wales
    Scotland and
    Spain

Brilliant :rolleyes:

Can't believe how spoilt some of you have been as kids (for those that have gone with parents!)

I've only ever been Spain :(

I know! I do feel lucky to have been to the US though. My yearly holiday usually consisted of a week in Devon, and that was because we got free train travel down and the flat for free through dads work. Til the flats got sold off :( I didn't even have a holiday last summer! Went to america because dad got some money back from some life insurance and we got half price flights due to being delayed 24 hours on the way home last time with virgin. :thumb:
    Franki wrote: »
    To be fair, I haven't been on holiday with my mum since we went to America just after our GCSEs, as a treat for having DONE said GCSEs. Tanzania, Kenya, Uganda and Zanzibar are all from visiting my dad. Peru was a college trip, and the rest were all short trips except for Turkey (which was a week).

I am not spoilt :grump:.

GCSE's? Wasn't that 2/3 years ago? I've not been on holiday with my parents since I was 14 and that was 7 years ago :p

I've only been abroad twice, both to Spain. Can't remember the first time though. I always wanted to go to America but my parents could never afford it and would never get a trip there as a "treat" :p

All of my holidays were in Wales when I was younger or random places in England. BUTLINS ALL THE WAY :heart:
    i used to love butlins in skeggy :thumb: i loved the sea-sidey arcadey type holidays. Butlins was actually quite nice aswell. I remember how skanky it was before it all got re-vamped.
    I can't remember which ones I've been. The last one I went to though was in Minehead.
    3 :p. To be fair, the "treat" made my mum skint, and it was kind of a birthday present as well. It was also the first one in two years.

I love Butlins. We used to go there all the time. Cornwall and Aberdovey all the way. It's not like I've been to most of those places more than once. I only went to France for school trips, Belgium was a two day trip, Spain was a college trip (which I paid half of), Peru again college trip (which I paid 1/5 of), Kenya and Tanzania I've only been to because of my dad - I never would have a chance to go there otherwise, and I only get to because my dad can afford it. He's worked hard to get where he is now, and if he lived here he would never be where he is so he treats us to trips out there because we just don't see him EVER.

I dunno why I'm trying to justify myself...
    England (Lots of holidays as a kid)
    Republic of Ireland (Twice, have friends out there)
    Spain/Ibiza
    Brusells
    France

And that its for now. But once I've gone travelling this year I can add:

Porugal
    Mainland Spain
    Holland
    and maybe Luxemborgh
    to the list as well.
    I can't remember which ones I've been. The last one I went to though was in Minehead.

went to the one in wales when i was 5, it was horrible
    3 :p. To be fair, the "treat" made my mum skint, and it was kind of a birthday present as well. It was also the first one in two years.

I love Butlins. We used to go there all the time. Cornwall and Aberdovey all the way. It's not like I've been to most of those places more than once. I only went to France for school trips, Belgium was a two day trip, Spain was a college trip (which I paid half of), Peru again college trip (which I paid 1/5 of), Kenya and Tanzania I've only been to because of my dad - I never would have a chance to go there otherwise, and I only get to because my dad can afford it. He's worked hard to get where he is now, and if he lived here he would never be where he is so he treats us to trips out there because we just don't see him EVER.

I dunno why I'm trying to justify myself...

Don't then :p

You have been spoilt though, just accept it. Theres nothing wrong with being spoilt (if you don't expect things all the time off your parents). I'm jealous you've been to all those places! This is why I want to go travelling so much because I've seen nothing of the world. You are very very lucky :)

I had loads of school trips/college trips I could have gone to but my parents could never afford those either. They were always hundreds of pounds. My parents just didn't have that sort of money and there was no chance of it happening when my parents split up :lol: Even if I paid half, they wouldn't be able to afford it. It was very disheartening though. I always felt really left out :(

But still, I've got the rest of my life to see places :D
    Yeah, when I was a kid, going abroad was a big deal. It only happened about every other year.
    Don't then :p

You have been spoilt though, just accept it.

I can't "just accept it" because I HAVEN'T been spoilt. I've been lucky in that my parents USED to be able to afford to take me on holiday but I don't see how that makes me in any way spoilt.

The fact that my dad pays for me to go to Africa every so often is nothing to do with being spoilt, it's because my dad actually wants us to see him and my sister. I see my dad 3 times a year, maybe 4 if I'm lucky. And unlike most people, it's not a case of jumping on a train. It's a £700+ round trip at least, so I don't think the fact that my dad pays for me to go out there is in the least bit spoilt :|. He can afford it, because he's worked hard to get to his position. And it's not like we spend the entire time out there on safari and on the beach, half the time I spend sitting in his flat, or out on his balcony having a cigarette. If we did spend the whole time in 5* hotels, I'd say youhad a point, but...argh no.
    Wales
    France
    Holland
    Denmark
    Germany
    Poland
    Austria
    Sweden
    Greece
    Spain

Nowt else special.

And you say spoilt like it's an awful thing. Having the opportunity to go lots of places is fantastic, and I think so long as the person is grateful for that then fair enough. And if circumstances allow for such opportunities to travel, why shouldn't a person not take that opportunity? If a parent or a relative lived/worked abroad and offered to pay for me to go over I wouldn't say no, I can't imagine many people would. Especially if you didn't see that person very often.
    I can't "just accept it" because I HAVEN'T been spoilt. I've been lucky in that my parents USED to be able to afford to take me on holiday but I don't see how that makes me in any way spoilt.

The fact that my dad pays for me to go to Africa every so often is nothing to do with being spoilt, it's because my dad actually wants us to see him and my sister. I see my dad 3 times a year, maybe 4 if I'm lucky. And unlike most people, it's not a case of jumping on a train. It's a £700+ round trip at least, so I don't think the fact that my dad pays for me to go out there is in the least bit spoilt :|.

Did you not read what I said? I said "have been" spoilt, I didn't say you were spoilt.

I'm sorry but having a trip to America as a treat is being "spoilt" as is your parents paying for all those school trips. I never had that opportunity as my parents could never afford it. If you don't think your parents taking you to America or paying for your school trips (even though you have said you paid for "1/2" and "1/5" once) is being spoilt and I dread to think what you think being spoilt means tbh.

You don't have to justify yourself to me anyway Franki. I believe that anyone who has been abroad lots as a kid has been spoilt. Nothing you say is going to change my mind. Theres nothing wrong with being spoilt every now and again so stop getting so defensive. I'd love to have had gone the places you have.

Unfortunately though, my parents couldn't afford it. I'm sure if they could, I would have gone other places too.
    Out of curiousity, if your kids wanted to go on a school trip, would you pay for them to? Even if they were under 16 and didn't have jobs? Would you also ever treat them by taking them on holiday somewhere? Perhaps a family holiday?

I just don't think that generosity on behalf of parents necessarily means that kids are spoilt. But thats me.
    Did you not read what I said? I said "have been" spoilt, I didn't say you were spoilt.

I'm sorry but having a trip to America as a treat is being "spoilt" as is your parents paying for all those school trips. I never had that opportunity as my parents could never afford it. If you don't think your parents taking you to America or paying for your school trips (even though you have said you paid for "1/2" and "1/5" once) is being spoilt and I dread to think what you think being spoilt means tbh.

You don't have to justify yourself to me anyway Franki. I believe that anyone who has been abroad lots as a kid has been spoilt. Nothing you say is going to change my mind. Theres nothing wrong with being spoilt every now and again so stop getting so defensive. I'd love to have had gone the places you have.

Unfortunately though, my parents couldn't afford it. I'm sure if they could, I would have gone other places too.
    I know what being spoilt means, and it's not going on a couple of holidays every so often. FYI - I would have happily paid more for the trips I went on, but because they weren't disgustingly expensive my mum said she would help pay because I only had a crappy part time job and they were educational trips - BOTH of them. My mum is of the opinion that I shouldn't have to pay for things that benefit my education, even if I am able to. Because she wants me to do well. This is the same mother that, if you remember, is considering selling the house to get me through university.

Why shouldn't we get a holiday for working our butts off and getting good exam results? It was a one off and it has never happened before or after. All our other holidays have been cheap, and the only other time I've been abroad on a proper holiday with my mother has been when we went to Turkey for a week.

I know people that go on holiday twice a year and never pay for any of it. THAT is spoilt. My baby sister gets everything she wants whenever she wants it. THAT is spoilt. The fact that my parents were able to take me on a plane a couple of times is NOT being spoilt. I didn't go abroad LOTS as a kid. I didn't go abroad AT ALL as a kid, I didn't go on a plane til my dad moved to Africa, and I didn't go abroad with my mum til I was 14.

I'm getting defensive because imo being spoilt IS a bad thing. There's a difference between being spoilt and being lucky enough to have the opportunity to do things. Much as everyone is gonna be like "omgosh they're ganging up with each other cause they're together", Rich is right. I'd be spoilt if I didn't appreciate what I get, but I do. I know that I'm lucky that my dad earns a lot of money and can afford to bring me over to see him every year or so, and I don't ever abuse that. I know I was lucky to have my parents pay for my trips. But they knew it would be an amazing experience and didn't want me to miss out on it because I couldn't earn £800 in 6 months to pay for it. Especially since I quit my job half way through it.

ARGH rant over.
    Rich-E wrote:
    Out of curiousity, if your kids wanted to go on a school trip, would you pay for them to? Even if they were under 16 and didn't have jobs? Would you also ever treat them by taking them on holiday somewhere? Perhaps a family holiday? I just don't think that generosity on behalf of parents necessarily means that kids are spoilt. But thats me.

Of course I would and I'm sure my parents would have taken me to more places and paid for school trips if they could have afforded it. If they did though, I'd assume that I'd still feel spoilt. I would have thought that my parents were really treating me. I remember when I went to Spain with my Dad and two brothers when I was 14 years old and I felt really spoilt. It felt like a real treat.

Whenever my parents spend money on me, I feel spoilt. Its just the way I've been brought up.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    UK,
    France,
    Spain,
    Hull.

Those who have been masses abroad are bloody lucky cunts. He says - not at all jealous at all....
    Out of curiously and without meaning to sound bad or out, but if your Dad is so loaded (cuz if I remember rightly, he's on over £100k), why is your Mum selling her house? Why isn't your Dad helping you out instead? You don't have to answer that question though as its your own business. I'm just curious. I don't want this to turn into WW3 here.......I was just saying that those that have been lots of places as children have been spoilt. It doens't mean they are spoilt. I'm spoilt every now and again but not with trips abroad. I get treated in other ways, for example, when I completed my GCSE's, I got some really pretty jewellery. I felt really spoilt then.

Oh, and I didn't say anywhere that parents wern't entitled to treat their children. Parents doing that for their children is a nice thing but it is a treat in my opinion, when you get treats, you are being spoilt. I don't care what you say. I always feel spoilt when my parents do anything for me. Like I said, its the way I've been brought up.

Never in this thread though, have I said, that parents treating their children to holidays is a bad thing. I'm sure that if I have children, I will take them places abroad provided I have the money.
    Whenever my parents spend money on me, I feel spoilt.
    Why though? Because they love you and want to treat you and the rest of your family? I'm sure they don't begrudge spending the money on you. I just don't see why you should feel spoilt because of that. I'm sure you are grateful for all that too, but why feel spoilt?
    But to me spoilt = bad. Spoilt implies brattiness and a lack of appreciation. And I can't believe I'm even doing this, but I think your definition of spoilt is wrong because the dictionary definition is:

3. to impair, damage, or harm the character or nature of (someone) by unwise treatment, excessive indulgence, etc.: to spoil a child by pampering him.

which implies bad. Hence my being offended.

And my mum doesn't want my dad to pay for everything, even though he will willingly. I think she's a bit bitter.
    England
    Wales
    Scotland
    France
    Germany
    Belgium
    Spain
    Portugal
    Italy
    Turkey
    Cyprus
    Malta
    Sicily
    Corfu
    Sardinia
    Monaco & Monte Carlo
    Majorca

Off to Bulgaria, Netherlands and Czech Republic this year.
    Halt the bus! It's not spoiling your children to take them on holiday, it's not the mark of an incompetent, child-spoiling parent to prioritise holidays over other things people might consider important or the real priority. It is a wonderful thing to be able to take your children abroad and show them other cultures. I don't mean taking them to 5 star hotels. It's showing them as much of the world as is within your means, it's incredibly important to me and something I will do for my kids to the best of my ability.

My parents took me on about 6 foreign holidays total, and worked their fingers to the bone to do so. As for the rest of the fantastic places I have worked in, holidayed in and travelled through it was all as a result of my own intitative and working like an ox to afford it. I'll be damned if anyone's going to make me feel bad about it, them were the days :D
    Franki, you are getting too worked up about this. I don't think you are the bratty spoilt sort. That is a bad thing, I agree.

To me, there is two types of spoilt - the bratty spoilt sort and the spoilt every now and again sort.

I fall into the spoilt every now and again sort and in my opinion, you do too. Your parents treat you to things every now and again, as do mine. Its not a bad thing. To ME though, receiving gifts and having money spent on me is being spoilt.

Rich - Its just the way I've been brought up. Whenever I receive something off my parents, I feel really spoilt. I've worked stupid hours since I was 15 years old so whenever my Dad buys me something, I just think of the amount of hours he's worked to buy me that gift. I can't help but think like that. I am really really grateful for anything my parents do for me though.

When I was younger, when were treated, we knew it was a treat. I always felt spoilt. I'm not quite sure why. Like I keep saying, its just the way I've been brought up.
    I'm getting worked up because there is only one definition of spoilt. Spoilt = bratty. That's what it says in the dictionary, and the dictionary is always right :grump:. Being treated every now and again is being treated every now and again, it's not being spoilt.
    Fair enough.

You are entitled to a different opinion :)
    It annoys me when i get called spoilt for the most stupid things because we 'expect' things of our parents - but what children don't? I don't expect anything now as my mum has hardly any money or time for anything. I have a friend who is so spoilt it's unreal. Her dad has a flash car, massive house, is going to pay for all her uni fees, probably going to buy her first car, and her mum isn't bad off either as her step dads quite well off. Gets everything paid for her, gets an allowance, moans she's skint then will turn up bragging about a shopping spree she's been on. And also insisted on being picked up today when she only lives up the road to show off her mums new car. I don't mind it when people have money, but when they don't appreciate it and rub it in your face like she does it really makes my blood boil. I think that's the kind of spoilt that stacey was moaning about not. There's a difference between being priviledged and spoilt.

sorry
    England
    Ireland
    Scotland
    Wales
    France
    Italy
    & Vatican City
    Belguim
    Monaco

I really want to visit Germany, but I haven't yet.
    England
    Scotland
    Spain
    Holland
    Bulgaria.
    UK
    France
    Spain
    Tenerife
    Lanzarote