Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Oscars

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Predictions please.

Best Film, Actor, Actress, Director, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress, Original Screenplay, Adapted Screenplay, SFX, Editing, and anything else you might want to comment on. Best/worst dressed?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Best Film - The Departed
    Director - Scorsese HAS to get this
    Best Actor - Forest Whitaker unless they give it to Peter O Toole because he's going to cork it soon
    Best Actress - Helen Mirren (though I would love Dame Judi to win instead)
    Supporting Actor - Probably Alan Arkin or Eddie Murphy, not too sure though.
    Supporting Actress - Probably that LMS kid, though I'm rooting for Cate Blanchett.

If Jennifer Aniston goes she will be the worst dressed. She is boring as hell in her all-black ensembles. I hope Bjork turns up dressed as a different animal this year... I think a baboon outfit would be a kicky little number :D
    briggi wrote: »
    Best Film - The Departed
    Director - Scorsese HAS to get this
    Best Actor - Forest Whitaker unless they give it to Peter O Toole because he's going to cork it soon
    Best Actress - Helen Mirren (though I would love Dame Judi to win instead)
    Supporting Actor - Probably Alan Arkin or Eddie Murphy, not too sure though.
    Supporting Actress - Probably that LMS kid, though I'm rooting for Cate Blanchett.

If Jennifer Aniston goes she will be the worst dressed. She is boring as hell in her all-black ensembles. I hope Bjork turns up dressed as a different animal this year... I think a baboon outfit would be a kicky little number :D

Pretty bang on that, though i do think O'Toole will get it. My mum used to be his mothers hairdresser back in the day.

Scorsese and the Departed HAVE to win!!!!!!!
    I can't believe that Bjork hasn't acted since Dancer In The Dark, because that was one of the best performances I've ever seen. But she's always good for a laugh on the red carpet.

I agree with most of your predictions, but I can't see Scorsese winning it. I'll be really disappointed if he does, because it's the mark of a great director to not win an Oscar. Clint Eastwood again, or Paul Greengrass I reckon. And I reckon Babel will win Best Film.

Oh and ones I forgot to mention, I reckon Pan Laberynth will get Art Direction and Foreign Film and An Inconvenient Truth is a dead cert for Documentary. Little Miss Sunshine for original screenplay, and Children of Men for adapted. I'd love Borat to win though.
    What channel is showing it? I might stay up and indulge :D
    I hope Scorcese doesn't win...again! :D
    What channel is showing it? I might stay up and indulge :D

Sky Movies only, I think. The whole think is usually pretty dull to watch though, unless they have Chris Rock presenting. And the best films never win either. In fact, I can't really stand the Oscars. Just another excuse for people with already massive ego's (i.e. actors) to pat each other on the back, and naturally not acknowledge anything from outside America. Even most of the best American films of the past have been overlooked.
    the ceremony is repeated on sky one tomorrow night,
    if you're intrested in all the red carpet gubbins - E! is the place to go
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Yaaay for Scorsese :D
    Winners in full:

Picture - The Departed
    Actor - Forest Whitaker (Last King Of Scotland)
    Actress - Helen Mirren (The Queen)
    Supporting Actor - Alan Arkin (Little Miss Sunshine)
    Supporting Actress - Jennifer Hudson (Dreamgirls)
    Directing - The Departed (Martin Scorsese)
    Foreign Language - The Lives Of Others
    Original Screenplay - Little Miss Sunshine (Michael Arndt)
    Adapted Screenplay - The Departed (William Monahan)
    Documentary - An Incovenient Truth
    Cinematography - Pans Labyrinth (Guillermo Navarro)
    Editing - The Departed (Thelma Schoonmaker)
    Art Direction - Pan's Labyrinth (Eugenio Caballero)
    Sound Editing - Letters From Iwo Jima (Alan Robert Murray and Bub Asman)
    Sound Mixing - Dreamgirls (Michael Minkler, Bob Beemer and Willie Burton)
    Music (Score) - Babel (Gustavo Santaolalla)
    Music (Song) - An Inconvenient Truth (Melissa Etheridge)
    Visual Effects - Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
    Animated Feature - Happy Feet
    Makeup - Pan's Labyrinth (David Martí and Montse Ribé)
    Costume Design - Marie Antoinette (Milena Canonero)
    Documentary Short - The Blood Of Yingzhou District
    Short Film (Live Action) - West Bank Story
    Short Film (Animated) - The Danish Poet
    I managed to stay up for most of the red carpet to indulge my shallow, bitchy inner fashion critic.

My favourite :heart:

54440reesecelebutopianebx9.th.jpg

There were so many I didn't like I can't even be arsed to list them. I was tickled by Cameron Diaz turning up in a scrumpled origami dress.

I'm glad Eddie Murphy didn't win, ha ha /evilness :D
    Lovely dress but all of a sudden Reese Witherspoon is all emaciated looking, Nicole Kidman style. Weird.

ETA she looks not-so-thin-as-what-I-said in the large version of the above picture but the one on BBC made her look really odd.
  • **helen****helen** Deactivated Posts: 9,235 Supreme Poster
    briggi wrote: »

My favourite :heart:

54440reesecelebutopianebx9.th.jpg

:yes: that is stunning.
    :eek2:

Nicole Kidman has systematically destroyed her looks - I feel like I'm staring death in the face here.

73418013.jpg

02pj2.th.jpg

My other favourites:

73417926.jpg

73417584.jpg

000905833.jpg
    Are you eek2ing at me? :p
    Nicole Kidman is scary looking now. Reese Witherspoon just looks loads skinnier now than she used to, I think she looked better before. Not that she looks awful now or anything *shrug*
    Are you eek2ing at me? :p
    Nicole Kidman is scary looking now. Reese Witherspoon just looks loads skinnier now than she used to, I think she looked better before. Not that she looks awful now or anything *shrug*

:lol:

Not at you, at the big red bow monster. The fact that her hair is lovely shade of colourless/grey ain't too grand either.

RW has definitely lost weight, I agree. Side effect of messy divorce, perhaps? :chin:
    Big red bow monster! :lol: Not as bad as the big blue bow monster of last year. Can't remember who - Charlize Theron perhaps? Haha.

NK is just pale and ghostly looking with scary eyebrows. In fact her eyebrows and her nose are the only remarkable things about her, because they are odd.

Renee Zellwegger is another weird one, she has one of the strangest faces yet loads of people (ie, the people who write the captions on best dressed best looking at the Oscars or whatever) seem to think she is beautiful. She's all scrawny too. There comes a point where slender becomes skeletal and it's a shame when celebrities who I've previously thought look gorgeous cross that line and they look all weird.