Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Schools

2»

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    The only time it ever gets mentioned is if they're getting married/having a baby or something. Or in casual conversation. There is an english teacher who is gay and a P.E teacher that we're not even sure is a woman (she's that butch), but no one cares.
    Ballerina wrote: »
    The only time it ever gets mentioned is if they're getting married/having a baby or something. Or in casual conversation. There is an english teacher who is gay and a P.E teacher that we're not even sure is a woman (she's that butch), but no one cares.

Hehe, I think the female PE teacher one is a bit of a stereotype. "Right girls, into the showers". :D
    There is an english teacher who is gay and a P.E teacher that we're not even sure is a woman (she's that butch), but no one cares.

.. althuogh you care enough to discuss her, obviously...
    Fiend_85 wrote: »
    Because she was told after leaving school, and it matters because if you were coming to terms with being gay, wouldn't you want to know that someone you looked up to and respected was the same, some sort of affirmation?
    No because I respect that if somebody does not want to shout about their sexuality, that's their choice.

It also depends what year you were in school. I mean (I don't know how old you are, around 20?) because of the repeal of Section 28, teachers are now allowed to talk about sexuality. Before that, they weren't allowed to promote it as normal else LEA funding could be cut.

God bless Maggie Thatcher. :heart:
    .. althuogh you care enough to discuss her, obviously...

Yeah, in the earlier years when p.e at secondary is all new...but now no ones bothered.
    So she must be gay, then, 'cos she's butch?
    Namaste wrote: »
    No because I respect that if somebody does not want to shout about their sexuality, that's their choice.

It also depends what year you were in school. I mean (I don't know how old you are, around 20?) because of the repeal of Section 28, teachers are now allowed to talk about sexuality. Before that, they weren't allowed to promote it as normal else LEA funding could be cut.

God bless Maggie Thatcher. :heart:

My teacher however, through her own choice, was willing to discuss her personal life in terms of her heterosexual relationships. Where as another teacher who is gay wouldnt be able to talk about a gay situation.

With me now?
    The teacher couldn't for some random reason of regulation

What regulation?

If it's a one to one chat then there's no reason why any teacher can't discuss these issues.

Personally I don't believe any teacher should talk about their personal life inside the classroom, you go to school to learn and that's that!
    I don't know.
    I don't know. But I am certain that the only thing that prevented the conversation from taking place was that my mate was a student at the school. As soon as she wasn't it was all explained.

I'm still confused, the teacher couldn't talk about her own personal experience with homosexuality or just discuss homosexuality with a student? As far as I'm concerned, the teacher should be willing to help the student with any problems they have without divulging their own personal beliefs/experiences.
    You think that all teachers should be restricted from talking about their personal lifes?
    Sofie wrote: »
    Surely talking about being gay (well, THT talking about it) would be more to do with educating people and not promoting it as such?

In school, we never got taught about anything to do with gay people or anything like that - this might explain why someone in my tutor group (who is gay and quite frankly, doesn't care who knows) had someone have a go at him or something when he saw him.

Well you would have thought it would have been a good idea to educate people - but sadly the teacher in question felt that it didn't fit with her "Christian" values.
    You think that all teachers should be restricted from talking about their personal lifes?

Sexual life, yes. The only time a teacher should ever to do it if it relates directly to the course, "like that time I visited bla bla bla...I learned that bla bla bla."
    What about being able to openly admit sexual orientation. Which is really what I'm driving at here, not getting sex tips or anything...
    Hum thinking about it there were way to many teachers at school who gave us farrr to much information about their private lives. Particually the English teachers. However I also remember being sort of shocked by our biology teacher telling us that she used to smoke.
    What about being able to openly admit sexual orientation. Which is really what I'm driving at here, not getting sex tips or anything...

Yeh and what I'm getting at is that it shouldn't ever be an issue so no, I don't think they should.
    Would you also say that teacher should keep relationship status and whether they've got kids to themselves too?
    Would you also say that teacher should keep relationship status and whether they've got kids to themselves too?

Yes, it does become obvious though at times when they come into school pregnant or suddenly their surname changes.