Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

special k two weeks challenge

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anybody ever tried it if so did it work?
im thinking about doin it but i may get bored with it

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    i'd find it really hard to stick to, no variety

also, it's probably work with most things (healthyishthings!)..imo its just a gimmic

i.e if you had toast/soup/crumpet/fruit salad for breakfast and dinner then a meal in the evening it's probably be the same

if you do decde to try it, let me know how u get on :)

although i think it'd be really hard to stick to, then when you start eating normal, the weight will go back on

suppose it's be ok for a quick fix, like if you had a wedding in 2 weeks and wanted to lose a bit for that one occasion
    yeah thats wat i thought might give it a try see how long i can stick t it for with out getting bored
    i had them crunchy nut things for my breakie and starvin so i myt get my dinner early lol
    I might give it a go too... desperately trying to shift some weight and nothing involving steamed vegetables and boiled chicken ever seems to work... too time consuming. Can you have any kelloggs cereal or does it have to be special k?
    dunno lol ive just got some special k crunchy nut which i think is dead nice lol
    I've done it, it worked for me.

I'm doing it this week with Weetabix, mmm.
    but did the weight stay off after?
    I'm gonna do it. I'm going to tescos at lunch time to buy some cereal. Anyone with me?
    It only works because you are cutting down your calorie intake dramatically.

You could do the same thing but by adding a bit of variety as someone mentioned above. I personally couldn't do it. Eating the same thing twice a day for 2 weeks would drive me mad.
    special k for 2 weeks? :hyper:

oh wait, not that special k.
    Dobbin wrote: »
    I'm gonna do it. I'm going to tescos at lunch time to buy some cereal. Anyone with me?

yup ul have keep me up 2 date with how ur doin
    It probably does work if you stick to it. Use skimmed milk though.

The weight won't stay off though, it's basically just starving yourself: not good. Likely to get a growling stomach and feel faint.

I have done it with slim fast and you do lose weight fast but you soon get sick of the taste.
    my mates on the slim fast i dont think shes doin it right though because shes have the two slim fast a day and then eatin a load of other stuff so its not actually doin anything
    luvmeright wrote: »
    yup ul have keep me up 2 date with how ur doin

Will do! I'll weigh myself tomorrow, let you know, and start eating all the kelloggs. Wooo.
    its a fairly easy way of cutting calories
    You dont have to use just special K either, theres other cereals for a bit of variety

You might get a bit hungry though as the 30g portions they suggest are the size portions you get in variety boxes of cereal - abou half the amount most people use in a bowl!

If you can stick to it, im sure itll work though.
    I once tried it out of desperation, and ended up giving up after a day as I was so blooming hungry. Unless you're looking for a quick fix, and are happy to settle with the fat going on a small holiday and then coming back with extra baggage, I wouldn't touch the challenge with a bargepole.
    Is it really that bad?
    Well, it's certainly not 7 shades of wrong, but the basis of it does not teach people about healthy nutrition, it's just another quick fix solution in a buy now, pay later society. Sad truth is, diets don't work, they just don't, I don't know a single person who has taken on a diet as part of a permanent lifestyle series of changes, and lost the weight for good, because that diet isn't about teaching people about good habits for a lifetime, they're there to make a quick buck, and get a person to lose some fat and muscle weight.

I'm not ranting for the sake of it, I do it out of sheer frustration, because I've seen people I love suffer so much over trying to lose some weight over the years, and it never goes, and the same unhealthy habits of religiously using the scales, being initially optimistic and then putting the weight back on and being miserable again is painful to watch.

Aaanyway, rant over. I know you said previously that you want to shift some weight Dobbin, I'd be happy to help you with some recommendations and ideas. You don't have to live a life of steamed veg and plain boiled meat, but you do have to be willing to put a little time aside, otherwise the results are just temporary.
    Cutting your calorie intake dramatically to lose weight is just wrong, and unhealthy. You WILL gain it back and probably gain MORE after you start eating normal food.

Special K is healthy, but its no where healthy as eating fruits and veggies :thumb:
    There is no quick way to lose weight, the only way is the good old hard way, Do not starve your self, Eat Healthy, and lots of exercise :yes:

Like on the commercial: Good food & activity working together = body electricity!
    :yes: to most the others. I'm dumb as a brick when it comes to health but it never seemed even remotly healthy. Small simple steps will be just as beneficialand more healthy. I've lost 5lbs now in the last 2 1/2 weeks just by having vegitables instead of fries, saying no to to mayo and throwing in some yogurt or fruits into a meal.
    It does "work" in the short-term, so its ideal if you need to lose a few quick pounds before a beach holiday or an important ball. But you won't permanently keep the weight off because it isn't something you can do forever.

The only way to lose weight is by burning off more calories through exercise than you eat each day. Losing weight doesn't need to be painful (I've lost a fair bit of weight just by walking the mile each way to work, and getting off the bus a couple of stops early) but you can't cut corners and expect permanent results.
    Have it for breakfast, and again for lunch or dinner. Who the hell would want to eat cereal for dinner?
    Ballerina wrote: »
    Have it for breakfast, and again for lunch or dinner. Who the hell would want to eat cereal for dinner?

*raises hand* I love cereal. When I was young I would eat it every meal I got the chance and still do on busy days :p

I certainly wouldn't.
    Cutting your calorie intake dramatically to lose weight is just wrong, and unhealthy. You WILL gain it back and probably gain MORE after you start eating normal food.

:yes:
    my_name wrote: »
    *raises hand* I love cereal. When I was young I would eat it every meal I got the chance and still do on busy days :p

would you want it for dinner now though?
    would you want it for dinner now though?

I just said I would...
    my_name wrote: »
    I just said I would...

weirdo :p

anyway - because you're not eating much, you're probably going to snack more anyway.
    I did it once and i did lose some weight but then when I started eating normally it didn't stay off for long, so not much point in doing it!