Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Manchester - City centre or Disbury?

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Ok, as some of you are aware, I've decided to move to Manchester (http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?t=110224&highlight=manchester)

Anyways, I was just wondering what you Manchester peeps thought. Me and my mate have decided to move to either the City Centre or Didsbury. What would be better...Didsbury or the City Centre?

My heart says the City Centre but I did decide that if I couldn't afford the City Centre, I'd like to move to Didsbury. Thing is, Didsbury is 6 miles away from the City. What is the public transport like there? How much would I be looking at to travel in and out of the city each day? Also, for those that have been to Didsbury whats it like around there? Is it a safe place to live?

My mate wants to move to Didsbury (I think its slightly cheaper) more than the City Centre because she works at the airport. She also has a car and apparently she will have problems parking it in the City.

Cheers.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    From what I have been told, it has good public transport links and is quite nice. However, not sure about the cheapness as it is quite a desirable area nowadays.
  • JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    (East) Didsbury has a train station.

Thats all I know
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Didsbury is so so nice. Its lush. And its not overtaken by the student but still relatively cheap the transport is really really good, its £3 a week for a bus pass with magic or finglands and thats for travel from didsbury to the city centre along oxford road.
    Didsbury is lovely! I'll tell you what I know...

The main bus runs (the number 42) about every 5 minutes straight into the centre of town. It must take about 15 minutes? There's other buses too so you'll have loads of choice. You can also jump on another bus towards Stockport - and see me, obviously! ;)

The accomodation won't be exactly cheap, but it will be a lot cheaper than in the city centre. There's lots of nice flats and houses to choose from, though - and the parking will be 1000x better than in the city centre.

There's lots of nice little shops and pubs/bars/restaurants and LOADS of fit blokeys having a pint in the summer sunshine. Believe me, I live in Didsbury with my sunnies and my flip-flops on in the summer months, haha.

There's also a multi-plex kinda thing (at Parrs Wood) with a big cinema, a Nandos, bowling, gym, etc. Aaaand outside there you can get a bus that'll take you straight to The Trafford Centre.

There's a HUGE Tesco for you to grab your shopping at Parrs Wood too and it's open 24 hours a day. In the centre of Didsbury, there's an Aldi and a little Marks & Sparks, and a Co-op Late Shop too.

I definitely recommend living in Didsbury over the city centre - trust me!
    Ooo thanks :)
    Didsbury is lovely! I'll tell you what I know...

The main bus runs (the number 42) about every 5 minutes straight into the centre of town. It must take about 15 minutes? There's other buses too so you'll have loads of choice. You can also jump on another bus towards Stockport - and see me, obviously! ;)

The accomodation won't be exactly cheap, but it will be a lot cheaper than in the city centre. There's lots of nice flats and houses to choose from, though - and the parking will be 1000x better than in the city centre.

There's lots of nice little shops and pubs/bars/restaurants and LOADS of fit blokeys having a pint in the summer sunshine. Believe me, I live in Didsbury with my sunnies and my flip-flops on in the summer months, haha.

There's also a multi-plex kinda thing (at Parrs Wood) with a big cinema, a Nandos, bowling, gym, etc. Aaaand outside there you can get a bus that'll take you straight to The Trafford Centre.

There's a HUGE Tesco for you to grab your shopping at Parrs Wood too and it's open 24 hours a day. In the centre of Didsbury, there's an Aldi and a little Marks & Sparks, and a Co-op Late Shop too.

I definitely recommend living in Didsbury over the city centre - trust me!

My god you sell that place well. Making me look at house prices now in a dreamy sort of mood!
    ashlee wrote: »
    My god you sell that place well.!

:yes:
    *wants to move there now too*

there's bound to be lots of pretty girls in the sunshine there too :D

if it's on a main route to the centre, you can be guaranteed there'll be about a bazillion buses to catch, enough so you dont have to look at a time table unless it's late at night which is handy :)

plus, I just looked it up on google maps, and there's 3 golf clubs practically next door to each other, so it's bound to be a bit nice!
    Thanks for everyone's replies.

I think I'm gonna move to Didsbury :D

Babyshambler kinda made me decide!
    Good choice, mate. Seriously. :D

If you ever need any help or owt, gimme a PM.
    Thank youu :D
    Reading this thread I thought I'd have a look at flats and houses in Didsbury and came across this http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-10164515.rsp?pa_n=1&tr_t=buy
    I doubt it'll be in your price range hehe but I thought it looks amazing.
    Go to Benchill and join the Mad Dogs!
    Good Choice Stace its so nice.
    Does anyone know how to get to Didsbury from the town centre?

I'm popping there next week to have a look but I have no idea how to get there :blush:
    From Manchester city centre... your best bet is to walk into Piccadilly Garden and take a number 42 bus towards Didsbury. Takes about 10 minutes, at most.
    ^^ exactly that but dont go between say 8-10 and 4-6 coz obv its rush hours and u'll get stuck on oxford road.:)
    Err wheres Piccadilly Garden?

Haha.
    Err wheres Piccadilly Garden?

Haha.
    Near Piccadilly Station? :p
    Fuck off :p I don't know Manchester.

And you are in work, stop skiving :p
    I was on a break :p

But yeah its like 5 minutes from Piccadilly. I got the tram last time cos I was lazy.
    You lazy fucker :p. 5 minutes walk from the station and you got the tram?

Is there any signposts?
    You lazy fucker :p. 5 minutes walk from the station and you got the tram?

Is there any signposts?
    I didnt know the way and didnt want to get lost!
    So what direction did you turn when you got out of the station then? :(

I'm gonna get lossst!
    Stacey you just follow the signs for town its dead dead easy. I cannot believe you got the tram James.:p
    Stacey you just follow the signs for town its dead dead easy. I cannot believe you got the tram James.:p

Shush :(
    Yep you walk out of the main station doors, down the hill and just carry straight on and you end up in Pic Gardens.
    Stacey - if you get stuck, just ask someone!
    Eeeeeeeee :D

I lovelovelove it! Its lovely there! I actually cannot wait to move there.

Haha. Got the bus there this afternoon, £3 for a weekly ticket?!!!!! Are you being serious?! The bus driver laughed at me.

Its so pretty there and nice. I love it. I love the fact there is pubs, restaurants and shops there and lovely parks :) I don't know if it was the time of day but it seemed so tranquil yet it had everything there that I wanted. I couldn't understand why it was so quiet! I realise it will be different at rush hour though! The place is so clean too! Me and my flat mate ended up playing "Spot the gum" ,"Spot the litter" and "Spot the fag end" as there was nothing on the roads or paths! Haha.

Seriously though, its lovely there. Thanks for everyone's help and stuff. I think I'll most certainly be moving there now and my mind is pretty much made up. Eeeeee. :hyper:

I got the train back into Picaddilly which took like 5 mins to be back in the city centre! Fucking cool. Eeeee, I can't wait!!!!!!!!