Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Parental expectation and being the black sheep

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anybody else worry about what their Mam and Dad expect of them?

Not like doing your share of the dishes or that, but more to do with what you're like as a person and what you're doing with your life.

I've fucked up in the last couple of years with various stuff (they're quite religious and have beleifs about certain stuff), and I went more than a year without having any sort of relationship with my folks. Things are a lot better now, but sometimes I feel like they must think I'm a right waste of time.

Like when I was a kid the child psychologist and my Primary teachers said I was the brainiest kid they'd seen in a long time. Fifteen years later I'm the only one of my brothers and sister without a degree and decent prospects, and my Mam has said that I could be doing so much better with my life generally. My wee brother graduates in July, and I suffer by comparison.

I've always been a bit of a black sheep and done my own thing, but after everything that's happened I want to make them really proud of me, rather than just seeing me as wasted talent (I don't see the talent bit myself, but there we go). They aren't getting any younger and it's just hard sometimes, y'know? I don't want to make something of myself and for them to have been dead for 20 years so they can't see it.

Is anybody else a bit of a black sheep like that?

Comments

• Options
    All the time. I was really quite clever when i was younger (still i am i suppose :chin: ), top of the class, oh she'll be brilliant at secondary school, oh she'll go to a good uni and find a cure for cancer that sort of thing. Was always sensible, never got into trouble.

Then i got to about 12 and totally go off the rails :D I hardly ever went to school, spent every other minute fighting or causing trouble, generally making everyones lives a misery. I've never fulfilled any potential i had, i missed a lot of school, didn't get good GCSE's, went to college three times and dropped out each time and now i just do an average office job which is way too easy for me, having worked my way through several other easy jobs. My younger brother and sister are both doing well at uni, and college and i'm always seen as a complete waste of space. I spend my whole life worrying about whats expected of me, even if i don't show it to them. It took me two weeks to get the bottle to tell them i'd quit college, and every time i leave a job you can just see how disappointed they are.

What can i do though eh!
  • Options
    I've always been a top performer at school - but coming from a working class family where no one has gone further than college, there isn't much pressure. The first person in my family to go to uni is my cousin who started this year. I keep being asked what i want to do but there's no pressure.
    I have a friend however, both her parents are teachers, have degrees, 2 older brothers have degrees and various other members of her family, and she says she feels pressured to live up to her brothers.
  • Options
    I think a lot of people have this, and it's really hard with parents because you can tell them that things are on the up, that you've changed etc until you're blue in the face and until they see it for themselves they're going to think you're blowing smoke up their arses. It does feel like time is limited, because obviously we come to realise that our parents are mere mortals and that they're not going to be around forever. At least that's the way I feel now.

The real disappointment for them I think is when they see unfulfilled potential. If you really were a waste of space with no prospects then they'd go a lot easier on you and just leave you be to flounder around in mediocrity, as I'm sure you well know. My parents couldn't understand why I wanted to be a nurse when their heads were being filled with tosh from my teachers such as "she could be doctor why would she want to lower herself to nursing". Now, my parents don't think nursing is a bad career choice and neither do I, but I don't think teachers/child psychologists/whoever do anyone any favours with their comments about how little Timmy is the brightest kid they've seen or similar. It raises everyone's expectations too high, and therefore is a lot harder to live up to and a lot more disappointing for everyone when you either choose not to be a nuclear physicist... or realise that it's not something you are capable of. Maybe another part of it is that our parents' reality is a bit skewed, in that they're all secretly harbouring the thought that their child is going to be one to achieve fantastic things, that their child is the greatest in the world.

I guess I'm just rambling, but I do definitely understand where you're coming from. I would say I'm the black sheep of my family and that's a pretty fucking impressive achievement when you consider all the awful things my brothers have done :razz: When I told them I was up the spout I think they just wrote me off the potential-notable achievement list for life :lol:
  • Options
    I was always "the brainy one" and i looked like a geek too, always got top grades...was asked if i wanted to take my GCSE's early (said no) and all sorts, everyone expected so much of me. Then in 6th form i lost it, i had been losing it since the beginning of year 11...but i hung in and cracked in year 12 when i got attacked. Then i pretty much flunked out, barely got passing grades in my AS's and went on to a shitty college.

Got ok grades there, but again people didnt think i was reaching my potential. Then i met my ex, i spent most nights out with him, partying, drinking and being barely alive in classes...after we broke up i felt as though i was burnt out. I didnt graduate with the grades i needed for my graduate program and ended up taking a shitty job and getting fired.

Only consolation to my parents is that im married and not a burden on them anymore.
  • Options
    Hmm I think I have the opposite problem, I have always done well and was always fairly well behaved, I have a degree, I have now learnt to drive, I have a house and I am in a solid relationship, I have good career prospects and I am happy (most of the time) with the way my life is shaping up! My brother and sister have also done well and are both hardworking, nice people! I know my mum is immensly proud of all of us and thats great, the problem lays with my dad and his wife!

It seems to me that my dad would be more proud of me if I had been a school drop out, took drugs all day long and generally had no ambition what so ever! This is basically how my step brothers behave (although as they get older they have improved) and they are doted on.

Anyway it seems to me that people shouldn't do things to make other people proud. You should do things that make you happy and make you feel satisfied with your life, I think parental pride is then a natural consequence!
  • Options
    I think the key is you personally knowing that you've done your best. If your parents have huge expectations of you, and you don't fulfill them, but you tried your hardest, then you can rightfully tell them to go and get fucked. However, if you know that you didn't do well through your own fault, then that's a different issue. And it's generally you feeling guilt or putting pressure on yourself that's the issue, rather than your parents. You can't pass your own disappointment off as pressure from your parents (not that I'm suggesting this is the case, just something to think about).

I guess the hardest one though, is when you choose something that your parents don't approve of, or especially, they think is beneath you. My parents have always been supportive in this respect, in that they've let me make my own desicions. The best thing you can do in that case is succeed. When they see how good (and happy) you are at something that they perhaps wouldn't have envisioned you doing, then they should accept it (be it a career choice, or something else, like being a parent). Of course some people just have twats as parents who won't change, but hopefully they're in the minority.
  • Options
    of course. when I came out of uni with a third I felt I had let them down. But that was more misplaced guilt in that I feel like I've let myself down, cos I coulda done better... I try to forget about it now, but it still sucks.
  • Options
    I am the youngest of three and both my brother and sister didn't do too well, so everything was put on me really. Again i got the 'oh, she'll do so well, she should do this and that'. I got really good GCSE results but then everything went to pot by my AS Levels.

I ended up dropping out something like three days before my A Level exams, bummed around for 18 months, got stuck in dead end jobs after dead end jobs. Then i went completely off the rails, drug addiction, suicide attempts, my health failed completely and i don't think my parents knew what to do. Their perfect little star had completely fucked up. Needless to say, i didn't go to university, but instead ended up in rehab at 21.

They were powerless and i was too caught up in self destruction to see. Luckily, i did manage to sort myself out and from now on am hoping to make them proud. In the beginning (GCSEs) i worried about letting them down, but during the next few years i let them down to such ridiculous proportions that i guess the only way is up now.

When i came back from rehab, i moved out, got a job i love and i think the main thing that is making them proud is to see i'm actually happy. I'm not a lawyer like they thought i'd be, but i'm happy and i'm helping others who were in my situation and i don't think they thought 'd ever pull myself out of where i was.
  • Options
    I'm doing quite alright, really - although when I didn't show any interest in education, I know my parents were disappointed.

I think I'm doing better than most people would have thought :)
  • Options
    My mum has always just 'expected' me to do well, so has never really given me any praise for it, and always goes 'umm well you could have done better honestly couldn't you?' when I don't meet that expectation. I don't suppose it's exactly the same though. :chin:
  • Options
    I don't worry about it so much anymore, but I am the black sheep of the family and never lived up to their expectations.
  • Options
    Although me and my older brother are most pretty bright, I've always been the one with the better school grades and came top of the class more etc. But hes the one with a 2:1 degree (and no ambition) while I only have NVQ's as further education, a profession and more ambiotino then you can shake a stick at. My parents are still happy with both of us for what we do. Well mum is at least.
  • Options
    With me it's not so much my parents expectations as my own. I know they'll be proud of me whatever I do so long as I'm happy.

But my sister and cousins are sort for big achievers... All really brainy and at uni and doing interesting things.
    I did get good GCSEs, but I had to drop one of the subjects cos I couldn't keep up with the workload with being really ill at the time.
    I sort of had a break-down cos I pushed myself so hard to do well despite being really ill... so then I couldn't do my A-levels cos I was burnt out and now I'm unemployed and looking for a job and don't feel very interesting or successful... I just hate the way people ask you what you're doing, all interested and then you start telling them about your life and they're like 'oh.' *fixed smile*

It's hard sitting in the same room as my family sometimes when there's a big gathering cos everyone else has achieved so much and all I've achieved is a break-down and not quite finding my feet again afterwards. :rolleyes:

I think people are their own worst critics though... Your parents expectations shoudln't bother you if you don't care what they think... and if you do care, that's fine, just keep in mind that it's you're own life and your own choices and do whatever makes you happiest, not what you could do, just for the sake of it. If that makes sense :confused:
  • Options
    With respect to family members over-achieving and feeling little in comparison, I think it's worth bearing in mind that they could be thinking the exact same thing about you and won't know your pitfalls or that you've suffered from depression or whatever. Soo people who said something along those lines, I wouldn't feel too bad. I'm sure someone has a cousin or sibling that feels less in comparison to you.

To the original question...Yeah..Since leaving school I've tried so many things and made so many mistakes such as dropping out of sixth form. Everyone assumed that I would go to university and it's only now that I'm actually going to do it. Apparently my granny is really proud so that makes me happy.

Family greviences sort of dictates that people in my family should be pretty messed up. Still feel a bit messed up but getting there. My brother on the otherhand is severely agoraphobic and has hardly left the house in two years. I think he's settled too comfortably into home-life and doesn't challenge himself which is frustrating.
  • Options
    Sometimes, they used to give me awful stick for using drugs as they're really anti-drugs. Other than that, no.
  • Options
    Rachael wrote: »
    Family greviences sort of dictates that people in my family should be pretty messed up. Still feel a bit messed up but getting there. My brother on the otherhand is severely agoraphobic and has hardly left the house in two years. I think he's settled too comfortably into home-life and doesn't challenge himself which is frustrating.

snap
  • Options
    katralla wrote: »
    snap

Oh, your bro is agoraphobic? I find it really tough to be sympathetic with him sometimes.
  • Options
    Well I know my Mum's proud of me and my Dad... Well he doesn't even really bother with me (didn't phone me on my birthday... nice). To be honest, I don't really have any worries with impressing either because I know my Mum and brother love me regardless. I'm so blessed in that sense.

Now issues with my private life, I don't share. For fear of being disowned by my Dad's side of the family. Or more so... Not talked about, at least if you're disowned you know where you stand.

But then to be honest, it doesn't bother me a great deal. At the end of the day what matters is the people who love you.