Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Movies you haven't seen

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
Definitive movies you haven't seen.

Me= Godfather... whoops. but I have it now and will watch it this weekend.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    The x-men movies.
    LOTR.
    Godfather.
    Matrix trilogy.
  • Options
    The Godfather, Pulp Fiction, Lock Stock, LOTR, Borat, The new Bond, Kill Bill, The Da Vinci Code, Sin City, King Kong, The Shawshank Redemption, Brokeback Mountain, Gladiator, Citizen Kane, It's a Wonderful Life, White Christmas, Casablanca, Gone With The Wind, Trainspotting......
  • Options
    Sacrelige not to have watched the Godfather. Suppose everyone keeps going on about the first Star Wars, I haven't seen it, or I don't remember seeing it as a kid.
  • Options
    Godfather part 2 (watched the first one for the first time the other night), Three Colours Trilogy, Scarface - though I own all of them.

Citizen Kane
    It's a Wonderful Life
    White Christmas
    Casablanca
    Gone With The Wind (all the way through at least)
    Titanic (all the way through at least)
    Tokyo Story
    8 1/2
    Anything by Ingmar Bergman
    Any of those recent superhero films like Spiderman and X-Men
    Dirty Dancing
    Topgun
    Rosemary's Baby (seen half of it)
    Highlander
    Lawrence Of Arabia
    Dr. Strangelove
    Mad Max
    The Usual Suspects
    Clerks
    American Beauty
    Rocky Horror Picture Show
    Singing In The Rain
    The Killer
    Shaun Of The Dead

Yeah, I think about this a lot.

Oh and I'm proud of getting a degree in film without having seen Citizen Kane or The Godfather.
  • Options
    Godfather
    Pulp Fiction
    Reservoir Dogs
    Lock, Stock...
    Snatch
    The large majority of Bond films.

and until about a month ago Trainspotting was on that list.
  • Options
    I think I've seen them all :blush:
  • Options

Oh and I'm proud of getting a degree in film without having seen Citizen Kane or The Godfather.

I found Citizen Kane such a crap film, can't see why it's been rated one of the greatest films of all time.
  • Options
    Oh god loads. My friends are amazed I've got to be a 18 year old girl without seeing Dirty Dancing... as much as it looks enjoyable, it's not exactly been top of my list to do.

I've never seen the Godfather, never thought to tbh.
  • Options

You shouldn't be.

Since when are the X-Men movies 'definitive'? They're OK...

I guess one of the most surprising that people often haven't seen, other than Citizen Kane, is Psycho.
  • Options
    Lol, I have a 35-long 'to see' movie list. :o
  • Options
    Off the top of my head:

X-Men
    Dirty Dancing
    Happy Potter (well, I've seen parts of it)
    LOTR
    Godfather
    Titanic
    Any Bond films
    The Da Vinci Code
    Matrix

I could go on & go but won't!
  • Options
    Happy Potter! :lol:

There's loooads of stuff I haven't seen - Star Wars, Gladiator, Godfather, Rocky.
    Like Nikki I was about 16 before I watched Dirty Dancing, and even Grease I didn't see until about then!
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    I found Citizen Kane such a crap film, can't see why it's been rated one of the greatest films of all time.

If you watch the Jazz Singer as well you might get a better idea. The coming of sound, and the massive technical requirements of sound cameras essentially killed motion and movement in cinema - suddenly everyone was simply talking at a camera.

One of the things Welles did so well was to take the devices developed over the decades in silent cinema and re-introduce them in sound cinema (the takes moving into the bar, the highlighting close-ups, the general editing style). Like everything in Welles' life he had a talent for presenting himself as a genius, whilst actually taking a lot from other people's work. In the case of Kane he at least took something valuable and reinvented it, making a significant difference in how people approached film as the ideas slowly seeped into Hollywood.

Without him, its unlikely that the film industry would have developed, in artistic terms, as quickly as it did over the next decade or so.

And that doesn't even include what he took from the contemporary novel, with the plot structure in Kane pushing the boundaries of what a flashback story, or a story about one man's life, could really be. It is in essence a reflective novel, yet presented in a way that works on film.

Of course, that's why it is important - that doesn't mean it is still has the impact it did - in fact if it did still have an impact on an audience it wouldn't really have affected anything. The fact that so much of Kane seems obvious or old hat now is the final proof of the influence that it had.

But then the point of studying film is like studying any art - you aren't doing a course just to be shown good movies (if that's what you wanted you could just go on the dole and get a good bittorrent client) - it's about understanding the aesthetic and cultural archeology of the industry and art form you're studying - which is why Kane gets chosen as the best film of all time by many critics even today, but they'd probably never actually recommend it as a film for people to watch for fun. Pretty much in the same way you'd never want a reproduction of Duchamp's Fountain on your wall - it doesn't stop either being important though.
  • Options
    Oh and back on topic :) -

Dirty Dancing is about the only film that comes to mind, and I've still not watched Tsotsi or Crash (the recent one, not Cronenburg)

Ooo, that reminds me - still not seen Spider yet (talking of Cronenburg) or now I'm thinking of Fiennes I've not seen The English Patient. Dammit, thinking of patients I've still never seen the end of Shock Corridor either.

Christ, the more you watch, the more you haven't.
  • Options
    Like Nikki I was about 16 before I watched Dirty Dancing

At least you've watched it :lol: Whenever it's bought up between me and my mates I hear "I don't know ANYONE our age who hasn't seen that film!"

Well obviously you do girlies, me! :rolleyes:

Don't watch Rocky though KHSS, you'll live to wonder why you did it! (I say that because I had to watch it by force, it's not THAT bad. I managed to enjoy the new one :))
  • Options
    Watched The Godfather, now I need to watch no2. I have two of the three colours trilogy on vhs (white and red) but no vhs player... There are a few mentioned above that I ought to add to my list too.
  • Options
    pretty much anything before 1980 except rodger and hammerstein musicals, its a wonderful life, the graduate calamity jane and cat ballou...................................shameful