Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Little Advice Please...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was really (really, really) bored so I decided to Google random things and googled my parents' surname. They have a very unusual surname and we are aware they are the only people in the UK with this surname (so no, I'm not going to post it!) I got a match to the company that fitted their double glazing a couple of years ago.

I went to the website and found a quote supposedly from my parents. It was a total pack of lies. The quote had them saying how great the windows are and how it's changed their lives (?!) so much, and how efficient the firm were etc. This couldn't be further from the truth and they've made several written complaints to the firm since having them fitted a couple of years ago.

I showed my parents who were absolutely livid. The website claims the quotes are from real customers but we know for a fact that there aren't any other people with the same name in the UK, let alone in Washington, Tyne & Wear (which is where we live and it's printed next to their names on the website.) We contacted them and asked them to remove the comments and they said it was another couple with the same name and they had no intention of doing so!

I guess that there isn't really that much we can do, but it is just so damn annoying to think people can make up quotes. I guess it goes to show that you can't trust any quotes you read, because they're probably made up!

Do my parents have any rights? It's one of the best known window fitting companies in the UK and I'm sure many people read their website before choosing to buy.

Comments

• Options
    It's a common practice to make up the quotes, and I have to say I'm amazed that they used a real name rather than using fictitious names.

There isn't really anything you can do, to be honest, as you can't make someone take something down unless they want to. If it was a small website you could write to the ISP, but in this case that would probably be futile as well.

All you can do is name the company and make sure that every bugger knows how crap they really are.
  • Options
    Perhaps, they thought they were using a fictitious name? If your surname is as rare as you say it is, maybe they thought they'd made it up? :chin:
  • Options
    Perhaps, they thought they were using a fictitious name? If your surname is as rare as you say it is, maybe they thought they'd made it up? :chin:

Yeah, but it was like this:

Mr and Mrs So-and-So (told you it was unusual ;) )
    Washington, Tyne & Wear
  • Options

I know the surname Bumblebee is talking about, and to be quite honest you could sit down with a pen and paper for a year and not get that name unless you knew it already.