Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Getting a 65 on an essay

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Is this a good mark? I haven't got the other grades yet.

I mean I want a first because I want to be able to get into a good university for a masters (a few years after I graduate) and I want to get a job.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    65 is a 2:1 i beleive
    Its a mid 2:1 so I'd say yes tbh.

Alot of Uni's only require a 2:1 anyways for masters.
    yup, I've always considered that a good mark :)
    Yep, can't complain at a 2:1 and there is a train of thought with some employees that they actually prefer a 2:1 because it shows the person is intelligent and yet has had a life outside their studies as well.
  • littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Good mark, yes. Well done :thumb:

Throughout my u/g a mark of 65 would have me bouncing for the stars :hyper:
    Haven't written an essay for years so can't help, but if you don't understand the marking system and what the marks mean then you should get someone to explain them to you as they can vary place to place.
    Yeah... But my mates are all doing so much better than me. I'm not big on competing, but I wanna be as intelligent and as successful as them, if that makes sense.

I don't wanna be the one who graduates then can't get anything more than factory work because I've been there and done that.
    You need to talk to the people who are marking your work and get things explained so you understand the system, what the marks correlate to grade wise and the kind of things they are looking for.
    Yes 65 is a solid 2:1 well done! I'd love it if all my essays could be around that this year in order to guarentee a 2:1. (I got an average of 57 last year, thanks to a screwed up module :() Though the one I'm currently researching i'll be lucky to get a 2:2 :nervous: Still, over 2 weeks til its due mind...
    Namaste wrote: »
    I don't wanna be the one who graduates then can't get anything more than factory work because I've been there and done that.

Not meaning to sound funny or ought, but I doubt that's going to happen :) 65 afaik is a great mark. I got 69 in one of my modules and was over the moon!!! In the rest I think I got <50 :crying:
    Do you really think that alot of graduates with anything less than a first can't get anything more than a factory job?

In that case, I'm stuffed going by your theory. I'm gonna end up with a 2:2. Factory job it is then.

If you leave with a 2:1 then thats a very good mark and I don't think you'll have any problems getting onto a masters course.
    Do you really think that alot of graduates with anything less than a first can't get anything more than a factory job?

In that case, I'm stuffed going by your theory. I'm gonna end up with a 2:2. Factory job it is then.

If you leave with a 2:1 then thats a very good mark and I don't think you'll have any problems getting onto a masters course.

You can get on some masters courses with a 2:2 as well. I'm sure i heard somewhere that some employers look more positively on a 2:1 than a 1st sometimes. People who get 1sts may have spent all their time working, but they may not have done anything else at uni! In terms of life experience, social skills and societies are a good thing.
    Renzo wrote: »
    You can get on some masters courses with a 2:2 as well. I'm sure i heard somewhere that some employers look more positively on a 2:1 than a 1st sometimes. People who get 1sts may have spent all their time working, but they may not have done anything else at uni! In terms of life experience, social skills and societies are a good thing.

:yes:

Im going to music college next year in which you do work for a degree (BMus hons) but i never thought about the fact id have to work. I knew id have to practise lots and lots but we only get 4 hours lessons a week not including about the expected 25 hours practise you should do plus instrumental lessons.

But out of those four hours - plus a few performances I need a degree - woah :hyper: never even considered the mark id get at the end of it all!
    70 + = 1st
    60-69 = 2:1
    50-59 = 2:2
    40-49 = 3rd / Pass