Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Another PS3 blow for European customers

Saeed MSaeed M Posts: 270 The Mix Regular
According to The Register, the PS3 for Europe won't be as backwards compatible as it is in the US and Japan. This means we won't be able to play all of our old PS1/PS2 games.

What else can they do to convince us they don't like Europe?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't understand what's so different about them, surely all they really need is a different bower adapter... silly people with their multi region releases.
  • Options
    Replicant; what they do is encode DVDs and games with a certain region, in theory it reduces piracy but in practice it is for a thing called price differentation; where they can sell a game for $10 in one place because that's appropriate to what people earn, but over here where we earn shitloads they'll charge us $90 or so. ($10 may be a conservative estimate ;))

A while back people were trading, legitimately, music CDs from China or something, but they got done because obviously they're a lot cheaper in China. Not because there was a tax or anything like that they hadn't paid, but because it fucks up market segmentation.
  • Options
    i'm starting to dislike sony more and more these days, buncha wasps
  • Options
    Aside from it being a bit of a shitty thing to do to one market, I can't say that I really care.

I can count on one hand the number of original PS1 games I played on my PS2, I've played even fewer Xbox games on my 360...

It's a bizarre twist that - after all Sony's jabs - the Xbox emulation has been far, far better.
  • Options
    The proverbial " Shooting oneself in the foot ".

Sony are doing themselves no favours by reducing the european spec of the PS3. Backwards compatibilty is a big thing for a lot of people and at the end of the day i look at it like this :

Your asking us to pay MORE for a console that does LESS whilst our fellow console owners in other parts of the world have the best spec of them all and you think this is fair ?

I'm actually not going to bother with Sony and the PS range any more. Mostly because the 360 has completely blown me away with its quality.
  • Options
    Unconfirmed rumour is that the PS3 has been revised and ALL new machines will have poorer backwards compatibility. So this isn't a euro-specific thing, it's just that we're the first to recieve the new hardware.
  • Options
    who really cares?

if you want to play your old games, play your old console. not much point selling a playstation these days anyway, for all the cash you'd get for it.
  • Options
    I think its more an issue of having one system hooked up rather than several, if you know what I mean? I think one of the reasons Wii might be popular is that it saves on space! :)