Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Incapacity...

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    Going to work three days a week is the same as going to college.

No it isn't.

Can't be bothered with the rest of your shit.
    Three full days of college work is as taxing as three full days of work. It's probably more taxing, as you actually have to concentrate for the whole time (whereas I get to spend 20 minutes flicking elastic bands at my boss).

If she genuinely cannot work the other two days, and she desperately needs the money, then I see no problem with her claiming benefits. What I suspect the real motive is is that Ilora just doesn't want to work. She's proved that before ("I'm too good to work in a shop") and clearly nothing has changed.

Not everyone on benefits is honest. I think most are, but I don't think Ilora is.
    Kermit wrote: »
    (whereas I get to spend 20 minutes flicking elastic bands at my boss).

:lol:
    I think most are, but I don't think Ilora is.

She's not on benefits yet, just looking into if she's eligible. Tbh, most of the information provided in this thread suggests otherwise, but there's no harm in looking into it, surely?
    Whilst she is too good to get a job,
    Perhaps she can't actually manage those jobs though. I don't know the ins and outs of her condition, as I'm sure you don't, so perhaps we can't judge her on what job(s) she decides to turn down.
    she has more than enough disposable income to spend £60 on a bra.
    She may well have enough disposable income to spend £60 on a bra, that doesn't mean she shouldn't get the benefits on top of that if she's entitled to it.
    It doesnt do any harm to apply, but tbh, theres no way in hell theyl will give her incapacity benefit.
    it is a contribution based benefit, and a 20 year old (or not far off it) will unlikely have contributed enough to get it.
    http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/Customers/WorkingAgeBenefits/dev_008025.xml.html

You may be able to get some DLA though maybe, although youd be bloody lucky.
    Three full days of college work is as taxing as three full days of work.

Indeed it is. And I know that because I do days at school and days at a nursery as part of my work placement.
    If she genuinely cannot work the other two days, and she desperately needs the money, then I see no problem with her claiming benefits. What I suspect the real motive is is that Ilora just doesn't want to work. She's proved that before ("I'm too good to work in a shop") and clearly nothing has changed.

Not everyone on benefits is honest. I think most are, but I don't think Ilora is.

My thoughts exactly.

I worked in a shop for 3 months over christmas last year, I'm not adverse to a bit of hard graft. I had to give it up because carrying boxes of shoes and boots did nothing but screw up my wrists and shoulders.

I haven't worked since then because I was involved in a car accident and have suffered long term injuries which I'm still having private physio for.
    Having being diagnosed with EDS type 3, 4 months after being in an RTA has done nothing but derail my wish to earn some money.

Continuing my education is the only thing I'm physically able to do, with help and support from the college itself. Without the colleges 'reasonable adjustments' towards my being able to study there, I'd be screwed and would be forced to give it up.
    Isn't there somewhere else you can do your course if it's really that much of a problems?
    Why would I need to change my college situation? I'm managing to study, and be up to date with my deadlines, my attendance is near perfect, and I'm enjoying it. I see no reason to change anything at college.

It's my working life that needs looking at, which is why I'm looking into financial support, whilst I study.
    The impression I got (and you've mentioned it in other threads before) that you weren't happy with the situation at college.
    Nope, it's all sorted. My tutor's agreed to give me access to the staff lift, so I don't have to carry my suitcase up the 2 flights of stairs, and I'm allowed to eat/drink in class, when I'm on my medication, I'm allowed to stop and rest at any time. The college are now being very amenable. To begin with they weren't very amenable because they didn't understand, but a few months in and it's all become clear.

I'm very happy at college, I love what I'm doing! :yes:
    katralla wrote: »
    plenty of disabled people go to college though, it doesn't mean they're not disabled.

Whts' that supposed to mean?:confused:
    I received a letter of receipt of my claim pack 2 days ago, which means it's all being processed. The letter says that if in 8 weeks I've not heard anything back, then to contact them. It can take months to process a claim for DLA so I may be skint for a while yet. It is backdated, but there's still no guarantee I'll even be awarded it... and then there's the appeal process if I'm turned down. So it's not as easy as 123 and I'll be waiting months no matter what happens.

Okay, hope it goes well. Mine only took about three weeks from the time they received my completed form to them giving me some money so hopefully they will process yours quickly too.
    Clearly if you are capable enough to sit at a computer typing all the shit you do on here, you are capable of sitting at a call centre desk and answering calls.
    I'm surprised that this comment came from you. If this was one of my threads on benefits I'm like 100% sure you wouldn't have made this type of remark.
    It doesnt do any harm to apply, but tbh, theres no way in hell theyl will give her incapacity benefit.
    it is a contribution based benefit, and a 20 year old (or not far off it) will unlikely have contributed enough to get it.
    http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk/JCP/Customers/WorkingAgeBenefits/dev_008025.xml.html

You may be able to get some DLA though maybe, although youd be bloody lucky.

There are actually a different set of rules now for young people under 25 years old for this very reason. They are quite complicated and I don't think I can explain them properly as I don't fully understand them myself but basically they are there to protect people's education so if you've not contributed enough NI but have been at college full-time it might apply. They call it YIB (Youth Incapacity Benefit) I think.

Incapacity benefit and income support (due to incapacity) are done as a joint claim now anyway so you do one claim and if they decide that you are entitled to money due to being unfit for work but have made insufficient NI contributions (and can't get the YIB) then you get IS instead.
  • SkiveSkive Posts: 15,282 Skive's The Limit
    Is it me or do poeple love to judge those on benifits?

I don't see how you can sit behind a computer screen in another part of the country and pass judgements on somebody's who's situtaion you really know fuck all about.
    Weekender Offender 
    People can be way judgemental for people on benefits. I claim the ones that im entitled to, as do loads of people, and tbh, I dont give a fuck if some people manage to screw the system every now and again either, because theres a lot worse things that our tax money is spent on IMO.
    I dont judge anyone for claiming stuff, or at least seeing if they are entitled to something. I just am of the opinion Ilora probably wont get anything, because these things arent easy to get.
    Plus I sometimes get annoyed if people flaunt what benefits they get, but I must admit, a lot of those flaunting threads were quite a while back.
    I can see where people are coming from. Good on Ilora for actually continuing her education so that she can get somewhere, rather than just bumming around. But i can see why people don't understand how she can be on a demanding course yet won't work when the fact is that she'll have a demanding job once she's qualified. Especially after her past attitudes towards work. Also the fact that if she's living at home with parents on a high income, does she need it anyway?
    But as it's been said, there's much worse things that our money is going to.
    What a nice thread, the point of this website is too allow people to ask questions, not to be judged by people like Kermit or Sophie. If you can't answer a question about benefits without speaking to the person involved like they are scum (and I'd love to know where Kermit's personal vendetta here comes from) then I'd suggest staying out of any discussion of benefits in this section.

This isn't politics and debate, this isn't a section for providing your personal views on the benefit system, and it certainly isn't an excuse to act like the very worst kind of judgemental and arrogant fool.
    I think people have missed my point completely. I actually think that going to college 3 days a week can be more stressful and harder to cope with than going to work 3 days a week. I can't see how the comments that followed from other people could slate me for that opinion?!
    If you cannot work because of ill health or a disability, you may be able to claim Incapacity Benefit.

My argument is, that if you cannot work because of ill health or a disability, how can you go to college? College is often harder and as Ilora said herself, demanding on her physically.
    I think people have missed my point completely. I actually think that going to college 3 days a week can be more stressful and harder to cope with than going to work 3 days a week. I can't see how the comments that followed from other people could slate me for that opinion?!

My argument is, that if you cannot work because of ill health or a disability, how can you go to college? College is often harder and as Ilora said herself, demanding on her physically.

I don't see how that relates to her original question. Discussing her situation which we know zilch about really seems to be going off on a very 'i pay my taxes blah blah' tangent which I find boring.
    Rachael wrote: »
    I don't see how that relates to her original question. Discussing her situation which we know zilch about really seems to be going off on a very 'i pay my taxes blah blah' tangent which I find boring.

WTF? I really think people are seeing things! I haven't said anything of the sort! In so far as her situation goes I have not passed negative judgement once. I said I applauded Ilora for wanting to go to college rather than sit at home on benefits. Just because I said she wasn't incapacitated doesn't mean I don't think she should claim anything else she is entitled to. You can be disabled and not be incapacitated.

It doesn't seem to matter what I write, all everyone is seeing is "Ilora is a scrounging bum, I shouldn't have to pay my taxes for her to sit on her arse all day", which I have categorically not said once, or even hinted at.

I am beginning to wonder if I am typing one thing and you are all reading something quite different.

However, if someone asks a question on a public forum we can only answer the question based on the information someone provides, therefore everytime we advise on relationships or health in those forums we are discussing someone's situation without really knowing all of the ins and outs. Therefore to suggest we do not discuss people's personal circumstances is absurd.
    However, if someone asks a question on a public forum we can only answer the question based on the information someone provides, therefore everytime we advise on relationships or health in those forums we are discussing someone's situation without really knowing all of the ins and outs. Therefore to suggest we do not discuss people's personal circumstances is absurd.

It's quite different to a thread in relationships. Ilora asked what she was entitled to and has stated quite clearly that although she has a disability, she manages at college and thoroughly enjoys it. I replied because I don't see the point in asking why she goes to college when she cannot work.
    To be honest it wasn't bumbleebee's posts that were a problem

I think Ilora is saying that she is able to go to college and just about manage this alone, but can't manage work ontop of college aswell.
    Rachael wrote: »
    I replied because I don't see the point in asking why she goes to college when she cannot work.

Argh! I didn't ask that question! I was trying to point out that in order to claim incapacity benefit one would have to be incapacitated and Ilora, by her own admission, does a very physically demanding course, therefore she can't really claim to be incapacitated.

I am not disputing her illness. I am not saying she is lying and not really in pain. I am not saying she isn't disabled. I am not saying she shouldn't claim anything else under the sun that she is entitled to, I am simply saying that from my own personal experience of my mother applying for incapacity benefit you have to show you are incapacitated.

I didn't ask why she goes to college. I didn't ask why she cannot work (in actual fact I don't recall Ilora saying she cannot work once she has finished her course and I understand that right now she cannot work as well as study because the course she is doing is so tiring). If anything, I would say I was on her side so I don't know what I've done to make people jump all over everything I've said. I'm sure you would all prefer it if I just wrote "scrounging scum" but I've got absolutely no problem with people claiming benefits.

For the record, I work for a benefits agency although not incapacity / disability and therefore have empathy with those trying to claim and coming up against trouble, because I know how trickly even simple benefits can be to claim.

God, now I am beginning to remember why I didn't visit this site for over a year...
    I think Ilora is saying that she is able to go to college and just about manage this alone, but can't manage work ontop of college aswell.

I know!!!!!!!! :banghead: I never told her to get a job did I?!
    I know!!!!!!!! :banghead: I never told her to get a job did I?!
    No need to get so frustrated, I wasn't having a go, just trying to answer your question. I never said you told her to get a job..

Jesus Christ, love.
    No need to get so frustrated, I wasn't having a go, just trying to answer your question.

What question?
    This one:
    My argument is, that if you cannot work because of ill health or a disability, how can you go to college?