Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Food Hygiene Certificate

BillieTheBotBillieTheBot Posts: 8,721 Bot
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Couple of questions:

I was talking to my tutor on Tuesday who said that we need 25 (out of 30) to pass, but according to the exam paper, we only need 20. Whose right?:confused:

Also, how long does this certificate last for?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Your tutor probably told you that to get you to work harder.
    Cant hurt to aim for at least 25 right can it..
    I'd say the exam paper was right, but there's passing and there's passing.

do you get different grades depending on how well you do? I'm not all that familiar with the basic food hygiene certificate.
    Thanks.

Kermit - I have no idea. I think it's just a case of if you get X amount of marks, you fail and if you get Y amount of marks you pass.
    every three years I think
    Well you've peaked my curiousity. What in the world is a food hygene certificate? I just keep pictureing being taught how to wash an apple properly before you eat it.
    No its just pass or fail, nothing in between.

Honestly its the easiest thing you'll ever do, 30 questions on multiple choice most of which on common sense.
    honestly it's a joke, next they'll be handing out bits of paper to certify that you can wipe your own arse. you see some takeaway type places with it hung up on the wall, lol it doesn't reassure me at all it actually makes me more wary because they're obviously trying to prove something.
    it actually makes me more wary because they're obviously trying to prove something.

I think it's an actual law (?) that at least one person working there has to have one of the certificates if not all - don't know for definete though, that's just what I was lead to believe when working in a cafe :thumb:
    I'm pretty sure that its 25/30 to pass that said it is relatively straightforward, i got 2b when i did mine :D
    my_name wrote: »
    Well you've peaked my curiousity. What in the world is a food hygene certificate? I just keep pictureing being taught how to wash an apple properly before you eat it.

There's alot more to it than that. We need to know about food poisoning and illnesses and some stuff about coloured chopping boards.

I have no idea why I had to do this - did pretty much all of it (bar the names of food diseases) at GCSE Food Technology.
    I took this a few years ago. I had a 3 hour course then was let loose on a multiple choice test paper, i got 29 out of 30. It was the simplest questions ever! Most of it the kind of things i knew before the course.
    Thats pretty cool. Colored chopping boards are no? Is this for like a degree or something too?
    No it's not. And the point of coloured chopping boards is prevent contamination.
    Normally you have to have one if you work in food. It's just a procedure to check you've got common sense really.
    I did one of these in 1999, I didn't know they expire! I think it was just pass/ fail.

I think that legally anyone who works with food is meant to have one.

Some of it is just common sense but some of it is to do with the law and some of it is science. I wouldn't say that knowing what temperatures you can store food at for it to be safe is just "common sense", about all the different bacterias and types of food poisoning, how food outlets and restaurants can take measures to prove due diligence incase there is a problem.

I think my course was 6 hours at college (I did the one-day version) and then an exam.
    Well I haven't done it, was just trying to give a summary :p.