Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Tennancy and meter readings

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Could anyone give me any details on whether a letting agent is allowed to be the only holders of a key to the building that all our meters are in. We're not allowed access, so have never read our own meters. Currently we're getting some very strange estimated bills and want to do regular meter checks, to see whether there's any issues, and also so we can find out what is using so much electricity/gas if they are correct. The letting agents claim they don't give out keys for health and safety and it is very common in flats, but I've never come across this before. Also when a gas man came round to read the meters he said it was rediculous and went completely against health and safety. So any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Is the gas shut off in that cupboard?

If it is then you should definitely has access to it so you can shut off the gas in an emergency or in case of a suspected leak. You could always try the 'Gas man says we should have access for safety reasons'.
  • Options
    Yeah the gas is locked in the cupboard as well. We tried the gas man says lark and got told he was up the wall and it was for our health and safety instead that we didn't have access. :chin:
  • Options
    Phone the Gas company and tell them you've "lost" the key to the meter cupboard and need them to send you a replacement.
  • Options
    It's common to have a locked central cabinet, but its for operational convenience for the letting agent rather than health and safety.

You do have a right to inspect the meter, and the letting agent have to come out and let you do it. I also have a feeling that it is against health and safety to not give you access to the gas shut-off, speak to Transco about it.
  • Options
    I would imagine you need access to the gas shut off as thats just stupid.
  • Options
    I checked my meter for the first time in a year t'other day and discovered that I'd over paid by a fair bit, taken a payment holiday :D it's worth checking if all your bills are from estimates.
  • Options
    I used to live in a bedsit and the meter cupboard was left unlocked so everyone had access.

In my current flat the meters are in a outside small cubicle behind a locked door, I didnt have access when I moved in but then the landlord gave me a key when I asked, I think the other flats dont have access tho. If your landlord refuses then tell them you will make them liable for your bill as you have no way of knowing your bill is accurate I am fairly sure the landlord should at the very least come and get the readings for you.