Home Work & Volunteering
Exciting news! Join our watch club and get free access to NOW for 1 month

Incapacity...

135

Comments

  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Because of lots of people can't have a job whilst at college for many reasons, including the effort and time their course takes, so you're not really in a different position to any of them.

    You've got the info you need, apply for it if you think you qualify. However if you think you need more money then like has been said you could look at something like a call centre job. Physically they are very easy, they often have short shifts for people to do after school/college and you might be able to manage that on one of your 4 days off college.

    If 3 your course is causing you this many problems with your health maybe you need to take a step back and question whether you are pushing yourself too hard. There's a big difference between letting your illness rule your life and making reasonable adjustments for it.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote: »
    If you're fit enough to go to college then you're fit enough to work.


    Not necessarily.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Sorry, but my aspirations go above and beyond call centre services....

    I'm talking about a part time job whilst you study. Not your career.

    Not everyone has a nice job whilst studying! I worked in Mc'Donalds for 3 years!

    Clearly if you are capable enough to sit at a computer typing all the shit you do on here, you are capable of sitting at a call centre desk and answering calls. Incapacity Benefit is for those that aren't capable of working but there clearly is jobs you are capable of doing. Your head is too far up your own arse to do so though. Stop being so lazy.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Clearly if you are capable enough to sit at a computer typing all the shit you do on here, you are capable of sitting at a call centre desk and answering calls. Incapacity Benefit is for those that aren't capable of working but there clearly is jobs you are capable of doing. Your head is too far up your own arse to do so though. Stop being so lazy.

    :heart:

    It was the same last time- "I can't find a job I want to do, so I'll go on benefits and brag to everyone about how expensive my underwear is".
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote: »
    :heart:

    It was the same last time- "I can't find a job I want to do, so I'll go on benefits and brag to everyone about how expensive my underwear is".

    I usually have a serious problem with your point of view Kermit but shock horror shock I agree with you and SWQ on this one. Fair enough if you cannot work and study, but as SWQ pointed out she can sit at a desk typing and surfing the internet but not work in a call centre? I don't see that. Also you have not given any real answer as to why you are studying makeup artistry when you are going to struggle, because of your health problems persuing make up artistry as a career.

    Basically, slag me of and all you will it really pisses me of when people claim benefits out of sheer laziness. I am the first to accept that people cannot work for various reasons, or shall I say cannot do various jobs for various reasons but there will be a job out there for you. Why not train for a job as a receptionist or something more suited. Mabye it isnt what you want to do but it will save us paying to keep you in goods, foods and underwear. I think the benefits system is so fucked up in the country.

    Phew rant over
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Personally I think the answer is in the title of the benefit - incapacity benefit. You are not incapacitated. You manage (albeit it with some difficulty) to go to college 3 days a week. This means that you would technically be able to go to work for 3 days a week (regardless of whether that is scraping chewing gum off the walls of a toilet block or doing makeup for fashion shoots) and therefore you cannot claim in any way, shape or form to be incapacitated.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I'm talking about a part time job whilst you study. Not your career.

    Not everyone has a nice job whilst studying! I worked in Mc'Donalds for 3 years!

    Clearly if you are capable enough to sit at a computer typing all the shit you do on here, you are capable of sitting at a call centre desk and answering calls. Incapacity Benefit is for those that aren't capable of working but there clearly is jobs you are capable of doing. Your head is too far up your own arse to do so though. Stop being so lazy.

    Stop being so judgemental. You have no clue about her life so quit judging.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Kermit wrote: »
    :heart:

    It was the same last time- "I can't find a job I want to do, so I'll go on benefits and brag to everyone about how expensive my underwear is".

    So what?
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    Personally I think the answer is in the title of the benefit - incapacity benefit. You are not incapacitated. You manage (albeit it with some difficulty) to go to college 3 days a week. This means that you would technically be able to go to work for 3 days a week (regardless of whether that is scraping chewing gum off the walls of a toilet block or doing makeup for fashion shoots) and therefore you cannot claim in any way, shape or form to be incapacitated.

    This attitide really gets on my tits. You have no fucking idea about someone's life, yet you feel the need to sit there on your high horse tell her what she can and can't do. Sitting at home is NOT the same as going to work. I have a medical condition where I feel fatigued and get achey joints somedays. I usually go into work when feeling rough, but sometimes I take a day off - and sometimes I spend that day posting on the net. It is not the same as working, only an idiot would think it is.

    This makes me so fucking mad. Judgemental wankers. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    To be honest, from what it sounds like, there is a requirement for IB for the doctor to sign it off, or for the applicant to undergo a medical, so she should start the application process, and the appropriate people will decide whether she's "incapacitated" or not.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It amazes me that so many people feel fit to judge whether or not someone deserves Incapacity Benefits. Does anybody on here actually know exactly what Ilora's condition is and what side effects she faces? I doubt it. I suggest people on here let the appropriate people decide whether she is or isn't entitled to benefits and stop telling her what she is and isn't capable of.
  • SkiveSkive No discipline. No morality. No respect. New ForestPosts: 15,180 Skive's The Limit
    It amazes me that so many people feel fit to judge whether or not someone deserves Incapacity Benefits. Does anybody on here actually know exactly what Ilora's condition is and what side effects she faces? I doubt it. I suggest people on here let the appropriate people decide whether she is or isn't entitled to benefits and stop telling her what she is and isn't capable of.

    :thumb:
    Yesterday is history
    Tomorrow is a mystery
    But today is a gift
    That’s why it’s call the present
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It amazes me that so many people feel fit to judge whether or not someone deserves Incapacity Benefits. Does anybody on here actually know exactly what Ilora's condition is and what side effects she faces? I doubt it. I suggest people on here let the appropriate people decide whether she is or isn't entitled to benefits and stop telling her what she is and isn't capable of.

    I agree with you. Although it looks more like the few people who said she didn't deserve it, actually have more of a problem with Ilora herself rather than the fact she wants benefits.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Lacy wrote: »
    I agree with you. Although it looks more like the few people who said she didn't deserve it, actually have more of a problem with Ilora herself rather than the fact she wants benefits.
    Indeed.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It amazes me that so many people feel fit to judge whether or not someone deserves Incapacity Benefits. Does anybody on here actually know exactly what Ilora's condition is and what side effects she faces? I doubt it. I suggest people on here let the appropriate people decide whether she is or isn't entitled to benefits and stop telling her what she is and isn't capable of.

    Exactly. No one here can judge, and it's not up to people here to decide. All Ilora asked for is information to see if she is entitled to it, because as she stated she couldn't find it herself.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Nikki* wrote: »
    Exactly. No one here can judge, and it's not up to people here to decide. All Ilora asked for is information to see if she is entitled to it, because as she stated she couldn't find it herself.

    Although it seems she didn't try very hard to get the answers, and she's said she's on a demanding course, which does rather lay oneself open.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Although it seems she didn't try very hard to get the answers, and she's said she's on a demanding course, which does rather lay oneself open.

    Again, who here knows how hard she tried? Sometimes I can't find things on Google because I simply don't know exactly what to class it as. People sometimes seem to forget these boards are meant to be about advice, she did some research first but came here to see if someone knew better - she never kept asking questions, and thanked people who helped her!

    And she is on a demanding course. Why should she not be allowed on a demanding course just because she's got a disability?! Yes at the minute it means that she can only do so much, but like I've said already, I'm sure it's not her plan to stay on there benefits for life, just so she can get through college and Uni without extra stress on an already hard condition. In 3 or 4 years time (or whenever) when Ilora is fully qualified, she may be used to her medication and her condition may be under control more, and then she might be able to work more. Maybe not, and then perhaps she should rethink her course choices. But until then, no one here can tell her she should or shouldn't be doing anything.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Although it seems she didn't try very hard to get the answers, and she's said she's on a demanding course, which does rather lay oneself open.

    Lol what you rather she do? Give up on all her ambitions and just stay at home claiming all the other benefits and feeling sorry for herself.

    I say fair play for doing a demanding course whilst having something like that wrong with you. I know i probably couldn't.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Blagsta wrote: »
    This attitide really gets on my tits. You have no fucking idea about someone's life, yet you feel the need to sit there on your high horse tell her what she can and can't do.

    She said she can go to college three days a week, not me. Therefore she is not incapacitated. I did not tell her what she can and cannot do. She told us that herself.
    Sitting at home is NOT the same as going to work.

    I never said it was. Going to work three days a week is the same as going to college. In actual fact going to work three days a week can have less of a physical impact if you have a desk job. What I actually said was:
    You are not incapacitated. You manage (albeit it with some difficulty) to go to college 3 days a week. This means that you would technically be able to go to work for 3 days a week

    With reference to this:
    I usually go into work when feeling rough, but sometimes I take a day off - and sometimes I spend that day posting on the net. It is not the same as working, only an idiot would think it is.

    Again, I never made any suggestion that because someone can post on an internet forum or spend all day online that they were not incapacitated. That was someone else entirely, so please don't quote me to address their comment.

    I wonder why you felt the need to quote me and to make me the victim of this tirade, since everything that I wrote in the bit you quoted directly answered the original question. She asked if she was eligible for incapacity benefit. I answered no, simply because the situation she went on to describe suggsted she wasn't.

    As for my 'attitude', I have absolutely no problem with people claiming benefits. You have no idea about my personal circumstances but I have a lot of experience with incapacity benefits and disability living allowance. I have a great sympathy for those who have a disability but also a great respect for those who want to continue working and living their life to the full. I totally understand and applaud Ilora's decision to go to college rather than stay at home. I haven't suggested otherwise. If I have, please show me.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've NO idea how on earth putting on make up to folk's faces is demanding work.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    1983 wrote: »
    I've NO idea how on earth putting on make up to folk's faces is demanding work.

    They probably mean standing up for hours when you've got fucked up joints.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Lacy wrote: »
    They probably mean standing up for hours when you've got fucked up joints.

    Fair play.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Lacy wrote: »
    They probably mean standing up for hours when you've got fucked up joints.

    :yes: Also, wrist and finger joints can suffer in those kind of jobs, whether someone has a condition already or not.

    Hairdressing/Beauty Therapy/Make Up Artistry and all "personal care" services are very demanding physically, compared to sitting at a desk doing your work. This is why after I'm at college for 5 or 6 hours on a Tuesday I'm knackered, whereas my boyfriend, who's done an 8 hour day at his computer is less tired.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    Personally I think the answer is in the title of the benefit - incapacity benefit. You are not incapacitated. You manage (albeit it with some difficulty) to go to college 3 days a week. This means that you would technically be able to go to work for 3 days a week (regardless of whether that is scraping chewing gum off the walls of a toilet block or doing makeup for fashion shoots) and therefore you cannot claim in any way, shape or form to be incapacitated.

    You are still able to claim Incapacity Benefit if you work anything upto 16 hours a week and earn upto £86.00 a week, though (obviously depending on your individual circumstances). So I don't believe what you're saying is not strictly true. She could work 3 days a week and still be entitled to benefits (if her circumstances were fitting).
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You are still able to claim Incapacity Benefit if you work anything upto 16 hours a week and earn upto £86.00 a week, though (obviously depending on your individual circumstances). So I don't believe what you're saying is not strictly true. She could work 3 days a week and still be entitled to benefits (if her circumstances were fitting).


    She does more than 16 hours at college, which to the system shows her to be capable.

    I'm really not picking on her, just trying to give some realistic (albeit blunt) advice.

    If you want to find the first hand info Ilora, google 'Incapacity Benefits'.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    1983 wrote: »
    I've NO idea how on earth putting on make up to folk's faces is demanding work.
    Makeup Artistry isn't as basic as that. We do wig work which means making wigs out of individual strands of hair, for hours and hours, hair cutting and styling - ie, hair washing, straightening and blowdrying. We do body painting, face painting, special effects makeup with blood and gore and prosthetics, we do day, evening and avant garde makeup for film tv and photophraphy. Most of that is stood up, or bent over a person in a chair. Sometimes it can mean you're sat on the floor painting someone's body or bent over a stool to get to a place you need to paint.

    Back problems are associated with Makeup Artists and Hairdressers. Tennis Elbow and Repetitive Strain Injury are also very common.

    We are makeup artists, because we're passionate about what we do. We're creative, artistic people who choose not to sit in front of a computer all day.

    There are health implications in all fields of work, especially sitting in front of a computer for hours on end - DVT and RSI are extremely common in ICT work.

    It's a matter of choice and weighing up the pro's and con's of working in a certain industry. I'm going to suffer with chronic joint pain for the rest of my life anyway, whether I choose to work behind a desk, or in front of a model's face.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    She does more than 16 hours at college, which to the system shows her to be capable.

    That's fair enough, I'm not disputing that, but my point was in reference to BumbleBee saying that if you work 3 days a week you cannot claim in any way, shape, or form, when in actual fact, you can.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Being able to study for the 3 days a week is a completely different kettle of fish to working three days a week. That is why they give students illegibility for Incapacity Benefit.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Being able to study for the 3 days a week is a completely different kettle of fish to working three days a week. That is why they give students illegibility for Incapacity Benefit.
    Not sure if that was in reference to me or to BumbleBee... I'm only mentioning work with regards to BumbleBee who said that 3 days at college is technically the same as 3 days at work, and therefore it's not possible to claim.
  • Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,324 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I have no problem with people claiming benefits that they are entitled to, my problem is more with Ilora's persistent attitude to benefits.

    Whilst she is too good to get a job, she has more than enough disposable income to spend £60 on a bra. That'd be my wages being wazzed away on a scrounger, then. It looks like nothing very much has changed since then.
Sign In or Register to comment.