Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

CSV - anyone?!

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
just wondering if any one else on thesite is a csv (community service volunteer) like me!! currently volunteering full time for 10 months, which is an experience!!

becki x

Comments

• Options
    I'm not a CSV (have no idea what they are) but I have done/do loads of voluntary stuff. What are you doing?
  • Options
    i work at a school for children with epilepsy and learning disabilities.

They give you somewhere to live and pocket money each week and you work a full time job like rest of the staff. A quite cool experience but can be a bit dull at times!

It a year were im meant to decide what to do next, still no clue..... lol
  • Options
    beckillas wrote: »
    i work at a school for children with epilepsy and learning disabilities.

They give you somewhere to live and pocket money each week and you work a full time job like rest of the staff. A quite cool experience but can be a bit dull at times!

It a year were im meant to decide what to do next, still no clue..... lol

I'm looking for something like this for the summer, although I don't want a care work role, but more of an advocacy role.

Could you please give me some more information? The idea of moving back to my home town for the summer kills me inside.
  • Options
    best to look on the csv site http://www.csv.org.uk/Volunteer/Full-Time/

normally there is a min time of 4 months on a project, but think they do shorter ones for student's over the summer.
  • Options
    I did that for 10 months in my Gap year, great experience, would defiently recommend to anyone.

I worked at a school for kids and young people with cerebral palsy, and i had a fantastic time. Met up with a lot of other CSV volunteers in the area dn they all seemed to be having a good time with thei different projects too. CSV did everything they said they would - paid pocket money on time, there was always someone to talk to if there was any prblems, they organised social actities to allow you to meet other volunteers and they rang every now and again to see how we were getting on. So yeah, i'd recommend it to anyone.
  • Options
    sounds ace but how did you live of £30 a week??
  • Options
    hmm it's not too bad, get £68.60 a week, and all your bills are paid for you.... just can't be a party animal all the time!! ;)
  • Options
    hi! i volunteered with CSV for a year as a befriender to a guy with learning disabilities. the project was Somerset Leisure Access Partnership. I mostly did it because my mum was one of the project leaders, but i had a great time meeting the other volunteers. In this project CSV paid all expenses incurred while i was volunteering, and as it was all about access to leisure for adults with learning disabilities meant that once a fortnight i'd accompany my friend to wherever he wanted to go. mostly he'd like to go to a local disco or the cinema, but we also went christmas shopping, bowling, pizza hut and the circus or i'd just hang out at his house helping him with his computer and have a cup of tea with his mum. He also had a severly disabled brother who he rarely got to see, so it was a real treat when we met up with his brother and his volunteer befriender and went for a walk and the pub together.
    I met a few of their fulltime volunteers and they lived in a neat little house with their bills paid and were really nice people, mostly from s.korea and i made good friends with a f/t vol. from austria who stayed with us in ireland over christmas.

I've been thinking about full time volunteering with CSV after i finish college :D