Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Incapacity...

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I don't think you can claim incapacity benefit (or income support due to incapacity) whilst a student. When I finished university I was unwell and it was clear that I would not be able to get a job afterwards and it was already arranged that I would be admitted to a day hospital on leaving university. After my final exam I went to get signed off but it was two days before the end of term and the doctor said she couldn't issue the certificate because technically I was still in full-time education for two more days and that my student loan had been paid to cover me until the end of term, not until my last exam (which was a week or two before the emd of term) so I had to go after the emd of term.

You are right about the Disability Living Allowance (DLA) still being paid if they accept your claim and it could be more than the minimum £16 a week. What stage are you at with the DLA claim? Have you already submitted it? They usually backdate it from when you requested the form (if you sent it off in time) if they do award it and then you'd get a nice lump sum (although not much use for when you have no money whilst waitig to hear if they will give you anything).
  • Options
    I received a letter of receipt of my claim pack 2 days ago, which means it's all being processed. The letter says that if in 8 weeks I've not heard anything back, then to contact them. It can take months to process a claim for DLA so I may be skint for a while yet. It is backdated, but there's still no guarantee I'll even be awarded it... and then there's the appeal process if I'm turned down. So it's not as easy as 123 and I'll be waiting months no matter what happens.
  • Options
    icey wrote: »
    ... i broke my jaw in 3 places AT THE JOB CENTRE!! (I fainted and hit my head) they still managed to just fuck me about for 6 months though until I was actually well enough to work again.

:lol:

Sorry, I probably shouldn't laugh but becoming incapacitated IN the jobcentre and still not managing to make a quick and successful claim is just too fucked up for words. Good god!
  • Options
    What do your joint problems actually stop you from doing? Where are the joint problems?

(I know what conditions you have to satisfy to get it)

Also, if you haven't made 2 years of NI contributions, you won't get it anyways.

I don't think students are elible for it tbh. Its for people who are incapable of work. You are a full time student. Alot of students don't work.
  • Options
    Also, if you haven't made 2 years of NI contributions, you won't get it anyways.

Don't you get income support or something instead?
    theyd probably say if you are capable of going to college, then youd be capable of working tbh.

I was thinking this as well.
  • Options
    She's under the age of 20 so she would qualify, if she wasn't in full-time education (which is classed as over 16 hours a week if memory serves me right).

She would have a hard job also illustrating that, whilst she's fit enough to do a college course, she isn't fit enough to do a hard day's grafting. And especially such a physically demanding course as the one she does, too.

It seems that nothing has changed, really, Ilora just wants to cream as many benefits as possible. Sure as hell beats working for the £50 bra sets from Agent Provocateur, doesn't it?
  • Options
    £50?

Is there a sale on then?
  • Options
    £50?

Is there a sale on then?

I don't know, I can't afford to even look at Agent Provocateur :lol:
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    Don't you get income support or something instead?

I think your NI contributions keep getting topped up whilst claiming income support yes as you cannot actually got out and get them
    kermit wrote:
    It seems that nothing has changed, really, Ilora just wants to cream as many benefits as possible

My thoughts exactly tbh.
  • Options
    I'll claim what I'm entitled to, I've said that from the start. What's different now, is that I have been diagnosed with an illness that stops me from overworking my body. Going to college AND holding down a job isn't an option because of my illness therefore my education must come first. If I can get some help and financial support whilst I do this, then great.

I'm trying to do as much as I can to maintain a normal life by not paying in to my illness. If that means claiming benefits in order to do that, then c'est la vie.

I can either go to college, or work. Since I don't want to be a shelf stocker in tesco's for the rest of my life, I've put my education first. Isn't that what we're taught to do? :chin:

Put it this way. If I was so hellbent on being a benefit sponger, I'd quit college and live on benefits with an easy, lazy life. However, I'm not doing that, so back the hell off.
  • Options
    Is it not possible for you to get a job where you train at the same time?
  • Options
    Here is the web page on incapacity benefit -

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/FinancialSupport/DG_10016082

You can even apply from a link on that page.

It took me a few seconds to find this also -
    INCAPACITY BENEFIT

Incapacity Benefit is a benefit for people unable to work because of illness or disability. You must have paid enough National Insurance Contributions to qualify. Incapacity Benefit is not means tested, so the amount you get does not depend on your income or savings. There is nothing in theory to prevent students from claiming it. However, the Benefit Agency sometimes try and argue that if you are well enough to study then you are fit for work.

It is worth noting that you cannot be treated as capable of work simply because you are studying a full-time or part-time course. However studying a Higher Education course may call your incapacity into question. The Advice Centre can help you appeal if this happens.

If you are under 19 and in full time education you cannot claim Incapacity Benefit. If you became incapacitated between 20-25 there are special rules that may help you claim Incapacity Benefit without having to satisfy the National Insurance contributions conditions.

Claim by calling the Benefits Enquiry Line or visiting Jobcentre Plus (see Contacts).

Which was on a student union website.
  • Options
    In the industry I want to work in, no. Makeup Artists are booked according to the strength of their portfolio. I need to study, in order to have a portfolio....

I could assist a makeup artist and do it that way but living in Milton Keynes, there aren't many about... and I wouldn't get paid for it.

So, in short... no. I have to study makeup artistry in order to get a job.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    Here is the web page on incapacity benefit -

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/FinancialSupport/DG_10016082

You can even apply from a link on that page.

It took me a few seconds to find this also -

Which was on a student union website.
    Ah, brilliant. I shall phone around tomorrow and speak to someone about getting a claim pack. Thanks ever so much :heart:
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    She's under the age of 20 so she would qualify, if she wasn't in full-time education (which is classed as over 16 hours a week if memory serves me right).

I think you're right. Well, that's what we got told last year - we need to do at least 3 A Levels (5 hours each) + an hour of tutorial per week to be classed as a full time student.
    It seems that nothing has changed, really, Ilora just wants to cream as many benefits as possible.

I was going to say something about this but thought that I might get flamed or something (which has happened on here before when there was a similar topic made about this subject)
  • Options
    You can study full time and claim IB or IS. You are supposed to tell them though and they have to agree it. Obviously if you are on the sick for a bad back and you go to college to do bricklaying there will be a conflict. Other than that sort of thing, it's usually OK'd.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,284 Skive's The Limit
    Kermit wrote: »
    It seems that nothing has changed, really, Ilora just wants to cream as many benefits as possible.

And so she should if she's entilted to them. It's what they're there for.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Ilora, may I introduce you to www.google.co.uk ? It's a really useful search engine, you type what you want to know about into the box and it comes up with useful sites.

If being on your feet all day is a problem, and that's what your course involves are you making the best plans for your future if your illness makes that difficult? While you shouldn't let your illness rule your life you need to be realistic and accept your limitations and make realistic plans.

If you're on a physically demanding course you're unlikely to be able to persuade anyone you're not capable of any kind of job.
  • Options
    I'm studying Makeup Artistry, not brick laying.
  • Options
    You were the one who said it was hard work and meant you were on your feet all day...
  • Options
    Since I don't want to be a shelf stocker in tesco's for the rest of my life.

there are less physically demanding jobs that you could do. till work is fairly umm..well it's not exactly labour intensive!
  • Options
    :yes:

Why don't you do call centre work?

You sit on your arse all day (or stand if you please) with a headset on your head. All you do is talk! Thats hardly going to hurt your joints!

Surely you'd be capable of that Ilora?
  • Options
    Why are people so judgemental when someone asks for benefits advice?
  • Options
    :yes:

Why don't you do call centre work?

You sit on your arse all day (or stand if you please) with a headset on your head. All you do is talk! Thats hardly going to hurt your joints!

Surely you'd be capable of that Ilora?
    Sorry, but my aspirations go above and beyond call centre services....

And Blagsta, I wish I knew. :(
  • Options

And Blagsta, I wish I knew. :(

I was kinda on the fence until this comment :yeees: :mad:

Anyway, just to clarify a point that some others have made... full time education is classed as more than 12 hours per week of supervised study in a classroom being taught by a teacher or tutor. This does not include breaks for meals or tea breaks, or time taken to do homework or prepare for exams. It does, however, include time taking exams (in June etc.) [Anyone would think I say this several times a day ;) ]

I know it's totally irrelevant to the original post but some people might be interested.
  • Options
    Sorry, but my aspirations go above and beyond call centre services....

Hmm, I was also on the fence until this comment. So you have higher "aspirations," than working in a call centre but you would rather claim benefits than work in a job that wouldn't have any negative effects on your health? Strange logic if you ask me. Surely you don't think too highly of yourself to do this type of work as a part time job while studying as well? If you are in such desperate need of funds that you would be willing to accept a minimum Incapacity Benefit of £16, then surely you would rather make much more working one or two days a week in a call centre? :chin:
  • Options
    the point is that she would like to work in a particular field when she's qualified but doesn't feel her health will allow her to take a part-time job while she's studying.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    Why are people so judgemental when someone asks for benefits advice?

It isn't someone, its Ilora-Danon. Someone who has previously admitted to claiming benefits simply so she can buy Agent Provocateur lingerie. Go and do a search.

If you're fit enough to go to college then you're fit enough to work. Whilst she shouldn't be expected to work as well as study, she shouldn't expect to be classified as Disabled when she is clearly fit enough to do a strenuous college course.
  • Options
    plenty of disabled people go to college though, it doesn't mean they're not disabled.
  • Options
    silverhalo wrote: »
    minimum Incapacity Benefit of £16,
    £16 is the minimum award for Disability Living Allowance, not Incapacity Benefit.
    It isn't someone, its Ilora-Danon. Someone who has previously admitted to claiming benefits simply so she can buy Agent Provocateur lingerie. Go and do a search.

If you're fit enough to go to college then you're fit enough to work. Whilst she shouldn't be expected to work as well as study, she shouldn't expect to be classified as Disabled when she is clearly fit enough to do a strenuous college course.
    I have never EVER said that I was on JSA so that I can buy underwear, that is putting words into my mouth completely and I am disgusted by it. I suggest YOU go and do a search, pretty sharpish.
    I was on JSA because I couldn't find a job, because generally, that's what it's there for.

And finally, there's a HUGE difference between being fit enough to study, and being fit enough to study AND WORK. I'm struggling hugely studying for 3 days a week, I am therefore NOT fit enough to work on top of that.

Why is this so hard to accept?????