Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Attitude

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you ever feel like some people have a permenent attitude on here? It's really getting on my nerves now. Frequently putting others down or some such, like their opinion is fact.

Just a small rant. I think it's really rude and people should learn to treat each other with respect.

I'll just say though that it's only one or two really, but I expect it's because it's just the internet. In real life nobody would be so rude to someone's face, because they'd get a punch probably.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6379621.stm
Jaron Lanier, who popularised the virtual reality concept in the early 1980s, said that in rush to forge a new age of collectivism, we risk losing individual identities and dumbing down our understanding of the world.

He told BBC World Service's Culture Shock that his main problem is that in places like the blogosphere or the online encyclopaedia Wikipedia, people no longer treat or respect each other as individuals.

"We have these designs on the internet where a whole bunch of people work together anonymously - a mob, in my opinion - in order to do something," he said.

"They actually take on the emotional quality of a mob - they become mean, they tend to insult each other a lot more than they would if they knew who each other were. In my opinion, this is an example of a design that isn't so great."

Comments

• Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    Cunt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:p
  • Options
    Only time I've noticed is in P & D.
  • Options
    Probably me. I've given my fair share of insults out but I never mean them, people take the internet too seriously imo.
  • Options
    I agree mate, in fact i was going to make a similar post the other day but couldnt be bothered in the end.
    There are a number of posters on here who dont seem to be able to actually take into account the opinions of others and just assume they are right about everything no matter the subject...

ETA: I dont think you are one of the 'problem posters' yerascrote, there are just a select few who cannot be reasoned with and simply resort to well articulated insults in the result of a losing argument
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    Probably me. I've given my fair share of insults out but I never mean them, people take the internet too seriously imo.

I didn't mean you :) there's a difference between the people who like to fling insults in a good natured way (yourself and JsT for example), and those that just seem to have a negative attitude about them and must put others down in a much more serious tone.
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    I didn't mean you :) there's a difference between the people who like to fling insults in a good natured way (yourself and JsT for example), and those that just seem to have a negative attitude about them and must put others down in a much more serious tone.
    I dont fuck around punk I mean every goddamn fucking word you low life hippie scum cunt.

Heh

:p
  • Options
    If this is particularly targeted at me (and whilst I may be paranoid, I doubt I'm wrong) you should at least have the balls to say so.

If you chat shit I say you chat shit. If you don't then I don't. If you don't like that, if you'd rather have it all fluffy and nice, go and talk to someone who cares.

*shrug*
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    you should at least have the balls to say so.

yeh shyboy. spill!
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »
    yeh shyboy. spill!

I reckon if he said names the thread would be deleted in about two minutes. So that's not much use.
  • Options
    Mist wrote: »
    I reckon if he said names the thread would be deleted in about two minutes. So that's not much use.
    MrMist.

Oh hang on........

;)
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    MrMist.

Oh hang on........

;)

I have a bad attitude, so that's fine. I hate you all. :razz:
  • Options
    I have a bad attitude, so that's fine. I hate you all. :razz:

Smartass :(
  • Options
    JsT wrote: »
    Smartass :(

Why you so nasty? :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:
  • Options
    Why you so nasty? :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying: :crying:

Natural reactions sadly. :angel:
  • Options
    Cunts the lot o'yer
  • Options
    ShyBoy wrote: »
    In real life nobody would be so rude to someone's face

Of course they bloody would.
  • Options
    :yes:.

I'm rude to people more irl actually. I get frustrated easier because it's not like on here where you can just turn it off and it'll go away...
  • Options
    Franki wrote: »
    I'm rude to people more irl actually. I get frustrated easier because it's not like on here where you can just turn it off and it'll go away...

I just find there're more twats on here than I'd willingly associate with in real life.
  • Options
    Yeah some people's attitude on hear stinks but when it does most rational peopel can see it and don't side with their 'tude.
  • Options
    I just find there're more twats on here than I'd willingly associate with in real life.
    I'd say it was about equal :p. But the twats I know in real life are unfortunately unavoidable, whereas I can easily ignore the twats on here :yes:.
  • Options
    There are always gonna be people with their heads too far up their own arse, both on here and in real life. Just ignore them.
  • Options

Not necessarily.

One poster in particular on these boards is always ranting at people, putting them down and generally act all high and mighty all the time.

From what I've heard though, they are MUCH different in real life and are actually quite, insecure and quiet.

As for me, what you see on here is what you get in real life. I don't pretend to be someone I'm not and those that have seen me in real life (who use these boards) have said that to me.
  • Options
    Firstly, Kermit it wasn't aimed at you, it was an observation. I'm fed up that this website has been set up and funded to provide support for young people. Specifically:

TheSite.org aims to be the first place all young adults turn to when they need support and guidance through life. We believe all young people have the capacity to make their own decisions and life choices, provided they have access to high quality, impartial information and advice. We don't tell anyone how to lead their lives - we just believe everybody should have all the information they need to make their own decisions.

Whilst that sounds fine, too often someone will have a legitimate question and other posters will fling insults or put them down if they don't agree with certain facets of what's being said. If someone has an issue - say an unplanned pregnancy - and the reason is that they didn't use contraception, I'm willing to bet that there will be a 'wise few' who think their opinions of the stupidity of the poster are somehow a very valid and very important point to make.

Whilst 99% of the time there isn't a problem, there does seem to be some snide undercurrents on the board, an air of elitism sometimes even, which in my experience isn't about on other boards.

Croc: so if the hypothetical young female found herself pregnant and didn't know what to do or whether to tell her parents you'd happily spout off about her not talking properly? Or it makes you sad that people like her can have children? Or some equally belittling remark that I have come across (not from you, just referencing from memory) on here?

I don't think any of you would. Yea, if someone went on about Vista non stop you'd tell them to shut up in real life, but that's a different matter to insulting people - or more often just insinuating things about their character - when they only want advice.
  • Options
    Thankfully, people don't tend to spout off their problems to me in real life. Unless they're someone I care about, of course.
  • Options
    Shyboy, are you the new Stargalaxy? Maybe it's because your names both begin with 's'!

Of course Crocidolite isn't going to shout at a young pregnant teenage girl for not knowing how to tell their mum... don't be ridiculous. He'll grumble about people with stupid wheely bags at the station and mime stabbing them with his umbrella but come on :rolleyes:

You're not exactly the least annoying person on these boards either.
  • Options
    Thankfully, people don't tend to spout off their problems to me in real life. Unless they're someone I care about, of course.

Which I think is why thesite is a special case. People come here with problems - often difficult problems - they would find it difficult to talk about in real life. To be met with hostility in what should be a tolerant and reassuring environment; regardless of whether they type in text talk or they're pregnant at 13 because they were curious what sex feel like or some other unbelievable story, makes thesite pointless. It's just another random place then where you open yourself to the opinions of masses.

It's a public internet forum, so it can't be regulated properly. It won't be professional - as none of us are professionals really. We don't get paid by thesite to offer advice. Most of us come here to talk and to discuss things. There is nothing wrong with that. But at the same time, I think there should be a responsibility in us. A lot of us have been through things ourselves which is why we're here. We've learned from our experiences and taken advice others have given to us. So I feel it is our responsibility to offer kind and fair advice to everyone, regardless. If all you have is an opinion on the OP then fine, but posting that up goes against what thesite is here for. There are plenty of other forums on the internet where ripping into each other is fine, the norm even. Thesite isn't *just* a forum, it's run by a charity to help provide support for young people.
  • Options
    Politics and Debate is a bit different though. When you post something in there, you are expecting to have your opinions challenged and have to defend them, that's the point of it. I try to treat P&D seperately to the rest of the board, so that I'm hopefully a twat in P&D but not on the rest of the board. Oh except sports where there are regular heated debate as to who's the biggest diver (ronaldo :p).
  • Options
    Shyboy, are you the new Stargalaxy? Maybe it's because your names both begin with 's'!
    Shyboy and Stargalaxy are nothing like each other.
  • Options
    Thats harsh.

Not particularly. Anyway, it's not wrong.
  • Options

Of course Crocidolite isn't going to shout at a young pregnant teenage girl for not knowing how to tell their mum... don't be ridiculous. He'll grumble about people with stupid wheely bags at the station and mime stabbing them with his umbrella but come on :rolleyes:

You're not exactly the least annoying person on these boards either.

I didn't imply that he was going to. I was using him as an example, that some of the extreme behaviours on this forum aren't acceptable, and just because the internet is there it shouldn't be any different. I didn't say he had said anything, or was going to say something like that.