Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

6 Nations

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
So there's no 6 Nations thread yet so thought I'd make one.

I actually thought this would be Ireland's Grand Slam year but we were robbed by France two weeks ago. Shame O'Driscoll was injured because our back-line looked a bit ordinary without him, letting France score the easiest of tries. Very frustrating to lose like that in the last minute.

England surprised me by comprehensively beating Scotland but they didn't look convincing against Italy. Will be interesting to have them at Croke Park tomorrow. I wonder how 'God Save The Queen' will be greeted at a venue that's only allowed non-Irish (British) sports in for the first time with this tournament. And fair play to the GAA for actually allowing it - Croke Park is one of the finest stadiums in the British Isles, and it's a shame that until now it's only been used for Gaelic games. Nice to see things moving forward though.

Scotland at least managed to notch a victory against Wales (who look poor) to keep things slightly interesting. If Ireland are to win the tournament we're relying on Scotland or England to beat France, because I don't think Wales can do it.

Anyway, just to spice things up, I hope Ireland drub England and their arrogant toff fans at Croke Park tomorrow. :razz:
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    I've always been a fan of Ireland when it comes to Rugby. I own many Irish rugby shirts from past years and I don't own one English shirt! lol.
    I've just always seen such talent in the Irish team and as an ex-Rugby player myself who used to go on frequent Rugby tours to Ireland itself, I just fell in love with Irish rugby.
    So yeah I'm with Ireland once again! :thumb:
    Down with the oirish!
    It's not as much that we played poorly against Italy, it's more of a fact that Italy's forwards were bloody awesome after their embarrasment by France.

Oh and yeah, you were robbed against France, but a hell of a game though, best one so far!!

England to go all the way! :D
    Where did you go on your tours? Ever in the north?

I used to play rugby at school as well, and as a sport, it's better than football to play IMO, but I'll still always rather watch football. In fact, Ireland internationals are the only rugby matches I'll really make a point of watching. I'll watch the odd Ulster match too I suppose if I remember it's on.

I'd say Brian O'Drsicoll is in the top 3 all round players in the world. O'Gara has come on alot as well as an out-half. I used to hate him.
    Addict wrote: »
    Where did you go on your tours? Ever in the north?

I used to play rugby at school as well, and as a sport, it's better than football to play IMO, but I'll still always rather watch football. In fact, Ireland internationals are the only rugby matches I'll really make a point of watching. I'll watch the odd Ulster match too I suppose if I remember it's on.

I'd say Brian O'Drsicoll is in the top 3 all round players in the world. O'Gara has come on alot as well as an out-half. I used to hate him.

Nah it always down in Cork and Kerry, always wanted to venture further north though.
    I totally agree with Rugby being better to play than Football but Football being better to watch.
    I'll only really watch Ireland or New Zealand internationals (the all blacks are always great to watch) or the odd Munster or Leeds game.
    Brian O'Driscoll is one of the main reasons why I love Irish rugby, and was one of my biggest inspirations as he played the same position as me (number 13, outside centre). I used to think Keith Wood was a quality when he used to play too.
    Wales were embarressing against Scotland. At the beginging of the tournament I went in with high hopes following the Autumn tests. However, if we continue to play like we did against Scotland we'll only have Italy below us in the table. In fairness, our problem against Ireland was that we couldnt finish, but our play was good. Against Scotland we were just shite, worst welsh performance i can recall.
    Addict wrote: »
    Anyway, just to spice things up, I hope Ireland drub England and their arrogant toff fans at Croke Park tomorrow. :razz:
    Whilst I'll be supporting England, I share your sentiments about the arrogant toff fans. God, that sentence almost sounded like something they'd say.
    I'm a rugby league fan, and like all good rugby league fans, I hope the England rugby union side gets absolutely twatted tomorrow :thumb:
    Fuck ye's, Ireland all the way. My da and brother managed to get tickets, lucky bastards.
    Good start Scotland. :lol:
    :nervous:
    Back in business!
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Back in business!

Not quite! :p
    Bri-namite wrote: »
    Back in business!

Aye dead on. :p

Fucking brilliant, beat ye limey cunts! ;):D
    30 points deficit.

I almost felt bad until I saw Jeremy Guskett, then I remembered why it's so good to beat England. Brian O'Driscoll is the best rugby player on earth.

Now, all we need is for you cunts to beat France because a fat change Scotland will do it. Let's not even talk about Wales the bottling bastards.
    OMFG. Don't even get me started on the first 10 mins of the Scotland game.

49000 people thinking that the Scottish side had just gone off the pitch for a nice wee pint and let the Italians get on with it....

Simply speechless.

Thought we could get back into with only 7 points behind (with 2 great tries: C'mon Patterson!).

Never kicked enough for penalties, and then 2 Italian penalities and another try, and it was all over.

Really do not fancy our chances against Ireland now. 30 points over England? Pure brilliance.
    Never have I been prouder of my strong Irish heritage. Fantastic game of rugby. Ireland played the best I've seen them in years. England were a little off the pace but it was by no mean a walkover. Fantastic game.
    Yes, fantastic play by Ireland! Well done the boys in green! :thumb: :D
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    Yes, fantastic play by Ireland! Well done the boys in green!

Irish team: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes: :yes:+ 5.
    Oh dear, England!!!!
    I am almost feeling depressed!!
    :d
    Well that was gutting for Ireland. I suppose it was too good to be true that we'd win the 6 Nations on St Patricks day.

I still don't know the referee could award France that last minute killer try. From all the different angles shown I don't know how he possibly could have seen the ball being grounded. Absolute farce.

Ireland were greedy against Italy as well. We were scoring for fun but we tried to go for one more late one, and it back-fired on us letting them get their try which fucked up the point difference and proved crucial. Typical Ireland really. Apparently there was an infringement in the build-up to Italy's try as well (though I didn't see it at the time in the pub). Bitter pill to swallow.

Oh well, another triple crown, but could have and should have been so much more.

Bring on the World Cup!