Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

quick question...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Has anyone ever had a pet seperatly cremated?

And if so, how much did it cost?

Comments

• Options
    seperatly?

how do you mean?
    like you bury the legs and cremate the body?

I think it's usually around £200 btw
  • Options
    BritJames wrote: »
    seperatly?

how do you mean?
    like you bury the legs and cremate the body?

:lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    seperate as oppose to a mass crematorium.

As in, i want my pet cremated seperately from other animals so i can keep her ashes to scatter
  • Options
    for some reason i have £80 in my head. we had a box too (not a fancy one) - i'm not sure how much it is on its own. it might depend on the size of the animal too, not sure.
  • Options
    Don't humans all get creamted in one go, or did I just make that up? :confused:
  • Options
    A friend of mine had her dog cremated privately recently, i think it cost £200. It was certainly a lot more than a normal cremation. Hope you're ok, Blah. *hugs*
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    Don't humans all get creamted in one go, or did I just make that up? :confused:

I wouldn't have thought so seeing as you get the ashes back and stuff?

I know they do it at night, but i assume/hope they do it one at a time!
  • Options
    ruby_soho wrote: »
    I wouldn't have thought so seeing as you get the ashes back and stuff?

I know they do it at night, but i assume/hope they do it one at a time!

they just take a shovel full and fill it in the urn... They make you think it's your granny, when for real you have an rapist, an alcoholic and the dog you hit with your car last week inside
    :lol:
  • Options
    StrubbleS wrote: »
    they just take a shovel full and fill it in the urn... They make you think it's your granny, when for real you have an rapist, an alcoholic and the dog you hit with your car last week inside
    :lol:

Yeah, I really thought this was what happened. Surely it would be more economical to wait until you have quite a few to cremate then stoke the furnace?
  • Options
    *hugs* Hope you're OK Blah? :(

What pet was it?
    When did she die?
  • Options
    For everyone that asked, its my ferret that is dying. She's 8 years old, i got her when she was only 4 weeks old. Such a long time, i :heart: her :(

She currently has end stage heart failure.

Im just back from the vets (i thought she was being euthenased today...but apparantly she's not suffering so i didnt see the point yet) and it costs £69 for the cremation and £12 for euthenasia. Really, really steep prices for a tiny ferret that weighs less than the average guinea pig...

I'll let her die a natural death so long as she's comfortable. But i think i will want her to be cremated as i have nowhere to bury her.

Horrible :(
  • Options
    Blah wrote: »
    For everyone that asked, its my ferret that is dying. She's 8 years old, i got her when she was only 4 weeks old. Such a long time, i :heart: her :(

She currently has end stage heart failure.

Im just back from the vets (i thought she was being euthenased today...but apparantly she's not suffering so i didnt see the point yet) and it costs £69 for the cremation and £12 for euthenasia. Really, really steep prices for a tiny ferret that weighs less than the average guinea pig...

I'll let her die a natural death so long as she's comfortable. But i think i will want her to be cremated as i have nowhere to bury her.

Horrible :(

Oh sweetheart, I'm sorry. Hope you're OK *sends some hugs*
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote: »
    Yeah, I really thought this was what happened. Surely it would be more economical to wait until you have quite a few to cremate then stoke the furnace?

they're gas fires, not coal :p
  • Options
    crisis!!

Hello again,

I have some decisions to make and need some assistance!! The ferret is still clinging onto life but has stopped eating now, and will definatly get euthenased tomorrow.

It costs £12 to get her euthenased which is fine. The thing is, i have nowhere to bury her where i am (im not at a permanent address and its all concrete anyway) regardless, i want her buried at my family home under a nice bush so i can visit the grave and stuff in the future.

The plan was, to get her euthenased tomorrow then drive back to my family home (which is 3 hours away...) to bury her.

BUT! I have two important appointments on tuesday and wednesday so i cant do that. Yet i cant have her body hanging around for 2 days till i am able to drive back.

Im not completely up for the idea of having her cremated. Seems almost disrespectful to burn my beloved pet's body, somehow? Not sure if that makes any sense. Not only that, but the cremation costs £60 which is way over the top.

Seems like paying for a cremation is the only option, because then i can bury her ashes when i next go home. But im not sure i agree with it and will regret it and feel guilty :(

Any opinions...thoughts...advice?! What would you lot do
  • Options
    My dog was cremated and is buried under a couple of bushes in our garden. If there really is no way you can get back for Tuesday, then I think it is your only option :(.

*many hugs for you*
  • Options
    Franki, did you ever feel bad that your dog was cremated? Im being kinda morbid and imagining her body being burned

But at the same time, it would disturb me to smell her body if i was to keep it for 2 days before burying it

boooo:( i hate this decision.
  • Options
    Unless your ferret's Jewish, you shouldn't feel bad really. Sorry to sound morbid, but at least it won't get dug up by a fox or something in your garden. It's expensive though.
  • Options
    Ive been thinking logically, and cremation is the best option. It will save me a 3 hour drive to bury her body, i wont have the body laying around and probably smelling bad, and its overall a lot less hassle.

And i also thought it may be nice to have a little pot of ashes for a while and then i can bury or spread them when i am ready to go home to a nice place.

Clearly she wont know that she's been burned, she'll be dead all the same.

The only thing i disagree with now is the price :impissed:
  • Options
    Blah wrote: »
    Franki, did you ever feel bad that your dog was cremated? Im being kinda morbid and imagining her body being burned

I didn't know that she was going to be cremated, or even that she was being brought home, until the day my mum brought her ashes home. I never really thought about whether I felt bad or not, but I don't think I do. She was dead, and even if there is some "better place" for them, her soul wouldn't be in her body anymore.

*more hugs* because I know how much you probably need them :(.
  • Options
    I buried a dead bird I found when I was a young kid, those sort of memories stay with you forever.
  • Options
    i didnt know you could get your pet cremated in a personal way, hmmm...

its true tho, even when a human has a cremation all the days (maybe weeks) bodies get done at the same time. the ashes you get back aint necessarily the ones you want
  • Options
    Somebody else has mentioned it too, but you can freeze them. My hamster died not too long ago, on a Thursday, and I had to bury him somewhere else too (I live in a flat) and couldn't go there til the following Monday (I also don't drive!), so I put him in the freezer. Not sure how it would work for something a bit bigger though.

Hope you're ok anyway, it's still really upsetting, even when you know it's going to happen *hugs*
  • Options
    Thanks everyone.

Freezing isnt really an opnion. I live in a shared house and my housemates are not happy with the idea of a dead animal being in our freezer. Im also not sure that i like the idea of her laying in my freezer for days, dead :no:

Koe, if its not her individual ashes that i get back then i dont see the point in paying so much money for it. How would i find out if its true?

*Sigh* I just dont know what to do.
  • Options
    Yerascrote wrote: »
    I buried a dead bird I found when I was a young kid, those sort of memories stay with you forever.

Yeh, they do. I can remember burying all of my past pets. And my last ferret.

And i think it does help me have closure when i bury them. This pet is the most important ive had to bury so far, as ive become more attached to her than any ive had before, she's gone absolutely everywhere with me for the past 8 years and has seen me through over a third of my life
  • Options
    Just an update in case anyone is interested

She was euthenased this morning, it wasnt very nice, but at least she's not struggling any more.

I asked the vets if they can keep her body till the weekend, and they were fine with it, which im really pleased about as i can bury her at my family home and make her a nice grave. I really dont think i was happy about the cremation thing.

Thanks for the the replies and hugs etc. :(

R.I.P Fidget :heart: 8 happy years of frolicking and mischevious ferret fun :)
    1.JPG 35.4K
    2.JPG 29.1K
    3.jpg 13.1K
    4.JPG 91.4K
    5.jpg 97.8K
  • Options
    Sending you more *hugs* cos I know how upset I'd be if I had to have one of my pets put down.

I'm glad they could keep her for you until you can bury her.

She looked really cute.
  • Options
    awww she was so cute, i feel sad just thinking about the poor thing, so god knows how you are feeling

please accept my sincere apologies hun :(

you've done the right thing though, 8 happy years, probably being spoilt and loved to death, you wouldnt have wanted for her to lose her dignity and die in pain

*hugs*
  • Options
    thanks to both of you, kind words mean more than you would think :)

Ive just been clearing all her stuff out of my room, found her favourite toy and ive decided to bury it with her :)

I do actually feel really strange, like a part of me has gone. Ive had her since i was 14...im now 22. She's been with me for such a significant part of my life, and its quite strange not having to carry on with her routine, playing with her, taking her with me when i go on trips, or having a cuddle with her when i feel sad.

She licked a tear from my cheek in the vets :blush:, ferrets are the best :heart:
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Ack, sorry to hear that. She looks gorgeous, the wee soul.

<3