Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

why is there no help for people that work?

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's not quite as simple as couples get twice as much income as single people. Many couples have a couple of unpaid interlopers for close to the next twenty years and both partners don't work full-time and/or have to pay a significant chunk of their wages in childcare
  • Options
  • Options
    PussyKatty wrote: »
    Bumblebee, of course I wouldn't give up work just to get some free stuff. But it can be hard when you're in debt to have to pay for things that loads of others get for nothing.

I agree, it is hard to other people getting something for nothing, but I bet a lot of people who are unemployed and on benefits are in debt too, and I doubt for one moment that their standard of living is as high as mine.

I too am in loads of debt, to the point where I cannot financially contribute as much as I would like towards my household. I often feel like a total mooch!
  • Options
    As far as prescriptions go, all of us pay less for many drugs than we would if we were charged full price. Sure, a course of antiobiotics might cost £1 but more complicated medicines can cost up to £80 for a months supply. £6.65 (or whatever it is now) is far more gentle on the pocket than the full whack.

Many courses are free or subsidised too. I'm doing an Open University degree and because, since I started, I lived at home with my parents, I've been able to do all three of the courses I've taken, for free. They only take into account yuor own earnings if you live with parents or alone.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »
    Jezzer, stop and think about the shite you're writing for two tiny seconds. Please. And then read what I said, eh, chuck.

Are most people better off on benefits? No. Did I say they were? No. Perhaps you should take up some of those remedial English lessons that you seem so fond of promoting to everyone else.

But parents being trapped on benefits, being only able to earn a few extra pounds, if any, by working, isn't that uncommon amongst the low-paid. It's a disgrace, but its a fact of life.

Not quite sure why you've come charging in like a bull on heat in a china shop, especially as I was agreeing that benefits are not great, but hey ho. *shrug*

just to add, i believe i read a thing a while ago where if you mvoe off of unemployment related benefits onto a minumum wage job, you lose far mroe than you gain so much so you could go homeless

the minumum wage is far too low imo
  • Options
    I actually agree that working people seem to get the hard end of the stick but then i think thats because I've seen too much abuse of the benefits system. I also think that people claiming disability benefits should be thoroughly checked out before they are aloud to receive it.
    A lad I know has not worked a single day in his entire life (he's 23 now), has spent all his days just smoking weed since he was about 13 and now claims he is schizophrenic. Still smokes weed every day and takes just about every other drug he can get his hands on so he's basically just high constantly, yet he comes out with more money per month than I do and i'm working hard part time to fund my way through university.
    Makes me wonder why people bother really when all they have to do is not bother working and get some sort of injury or illness and they will walk away with a free council house and £500 a month.
  • Options
    Oh Christ, not this shit again. :rolleyes: :mad:
  • Options
    icey wrote: »
    I actually agree that working people seem to get the hard end of the stick but then i think thats because I've seen too much abuse of the benefits system. I also think that people claiming disability benefits should be thoroughly checked out before they are aloud to receive it.
    A lad I know has not worked a single day in his entire life (he's 23 now), has spent all his days just smoking weed since he was about 13 and now claims he is schizophrenic. Still smokes weed every day and takes just about every other drug he can get his hands on so he's basically just high constantly, yet he comes out with more money per month than I do and i'm working hard part time to fund my way through university.
    Makes me wonder why people bother really when all they have to do is not bother working and get some sort of injury or illness and they will walk away with a free council house and £500 a month.

Some black people are racist, it does not mean that all black people are racist, or that people shouldn't be racist because some black people are.

Some people do work the system, but many don't. We have a welfare system to protect people, to alleviate the underclass and provide people with illness, or people who are looking for a job and facing financial hardship.

I think the few people who refuse to work is a small price to pay for the amount of people who are helped by the welfare state.

Also, there are a lot of people out there who do not have the self-esteem to find a job, there are many people out there who are illiterate or who genuinely cannot get an occupation.

And don't take this the wrong way, but there are many people who are in university and have to work. You'll graduate and hopefully be on more than him. If anything it is his loss, not yours because you are going somewhere at the moment.
  • Options
    I also think that people claiming disability benefits should be thoroughly checked out before they are aloud to receive it.

They are "throughly checked". Prove otherwise.
    A lad I know has not worked a single day in his entire life (he's 23 now), has spent all his days just smoking weed since he was about 13 and now claims he is schizophrenic.

Why do you think that is? Do you think he is mentally sound? Do you think he is getting the full satisfaction from life? I doubt it, don't you.

Your whole post, without being too rude, is utter fucking bollocks and an insult to our intelligence.

Sure, I can give up my job and get a free council house. And it'll be a fucking mansion in Ponteland, too :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote: »
    Oh Christ, not this shit again. :rolleyes: :mad:
    How was that in any way helpful or constructive?
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote: »

I assume it's cos he sounds like a sound bite from The Sun.

Don't think icey meant anything wrong, sure a lot of people feel hard done by the system, but for every scam and fake there's far more genuine cases.
  • Options

It wasn't, but then neither is you pointing it out.

It was however, a reaction to the usual bullshit peddled by people. This comes up time and time again on here, that somebody someone knows is not really sick, blah blah fucking blah. It gets a little tedious after a while.

Suffice to say that someone who wants to take drugs everyday and has done since they were 13, probably does have some kind of mental health problem.
  • Options
    It wasn't, but then neither is you pointing it out.

It was however, a reaction to the usual bullshit peddled by people. This comes up time and time again on here, that somebody someone knows is not really sick, blah blah fucking blah. It gets a little tedious after a while.

Suffice to say that someone who wants to take drugs everyday and has done since they were 13, probably does have some kind of mental health problem.
    Contested. At least pointing out that you've made (yet another) pointless and unhelpful comment may provoke you to engage and educate, for a change.
  • Options
    Namaste wrote: »
    Some black people are racist, it does not mean that all black people are racist, or that people shouldn't be racist because some black people are.
    What has racism got to do with any of what was being discussed? If you're trying to use a metaphor to say the because some people cheat the system doesnt mean everyone does then i agree but if the proper checks were in place how is it possible for some to slip through the net?

People can say what they like about the current system and pretend that it works sound like, but it doesnt. I know of countless people cheating the system and the problem is just going to get worse.
    More and more kids are growing up, seeing their parents sponging off the state and in turn think this is the way to live, as soon as they hit 16 they're out the door into a provided house and living off benefits the circle continues.

Someone mentioned that the lad i know probably does have mental health issues, no doubt he does but whos fault is that? Is it fair to ask tax payers to fund this guys lifestyle when he seems to have no intention of ever changing?
  • Options
    Contested. At least pointing out that you've made (yet another) pointless and unhelpful comment may provoke you to engage and educate, for a change.

To be honest, Blagsta's right on this one.

Anyone who takes drugs so often and from such a young age, and has such a strong addiction that they cannot work, clearly has some mental health difficulties.

Icey's post has been done on here so many times, its getting tiring to have to keep debunking the same old hate-filled gobshite. Anyone who posts a "my mate" story doesn't deserve to be engaged with or debated with, because it shows a severe lack of intellect. Sure, base things on personal experience, we all do, but don't rely on one isolated example to show that everyone on benefits is a liar.

I actually found Icey's post quite offensive, especially as I have a couple of disabled people in my family, all of whom have had to fight tooth and nail to get a single penny in state aid. To try and claim they're all lazy is rather unpleasant.
  • Options
    He may well be right, but it doesn't help anything to be dismissive. At least you've turned round and explained why it's a load of shite.
  • Options

I engage in debate a lot Fiend. You mostly choose to ignore my points.
  • Options
    Someone mentioned that the lad i know probably does have mental health issues, no doubt he does but whos fault is that? Is it fair to ask tax payers to fund this guys lifestyle when he seems to have no intention of ever changing?

What has "fault" got to do with it? What else do you propose? That he starves?
  • Options
    He may well be right, but it doesn't help anything to be dismissive. At least you've turned round and explained why it's a load of shite.

Fiend, I'm a human being, I react in ways that are not always helpful, especially when its the same old bullshit over and over again.
  • Options
    People can say what they like about the current system and pretend that it works sound like, but it doesnt. I know of countless people cheating the system and the problem is just going to get worse.

Proof?
    More and more kids are growing up, seeing their parents sponging off the state and in turn think this is the way to live, as soon as they hit 16 they're out the door into a provided house and living off benefits the circle continues.

Proof?

Bear in mind that, as has already been pointed out by two other posters, that the "provided house" is either temporary accomodation or a shared house. In a very dodgy area.

Shall we not give him a penny and make him mug people for money? Shall we let him starve to death? Why don't we go the whole hog and just hang the scrounging bastard?

Can I ask you one question? Would you rather live here or here?
  • Options
    I engage in debate a lot Fiend. You mostly choose to ignore my points.
    Or, I've got a life so I miss them.
  • Options
    Or, I've got a life so I miss them.

Possibly. It seems to me though that you just ignore any awkward questions/points put to you.
  • Options
    I also think that people claiming disability benefits should be thoroughly checked out before they are aloud to receive it.
    I think you'll find that people claiming for disability benefits go through an extremely thorough check before they receive a penny.

You can't just scrape your knee, claim for benefits, and live happily ever after, mate. Proving your disability to someone isn't a pleasant experience, and I bet most people in that situation would give anything to be able to work.

I understand what you're getting at, but I really think you should think before you type a response such as this. You're reply comes across as ignorant and somewhat offensive.
  • Options
    Yeah, my mum is technically entitled to disability benefits since she hasn't worked in a few years due to illness and an accident, but she says she can't be arsed going through all the constant check ups that you get by doing so, when she still gets a bit of cash off her employer (not entirely sure how it works, but apparently whatever you claim comes off what you get from your employer anyway). I think that often people's understanding of the nature of certain illnesses leads them to believe that people are faking it (and I have no doubt that people do fake it). I mean some people can seem fine one day, yet be completely fucked the next day, and so can't hold down a proper job. Of course onlookers only see them putting up a new fence in their back garden, not the next few days where they barely move, and so they assume they're fine.
  • Options
    I think that often people's understanding of the nature of certain illnesses leads them to believe that people are faking it (and I have no doubt that people do fake it). I mean some people can seem fine one day, yet be completely fucked the next day, and so can't hold down a proper job. Of course onlookers only see them putting up a new fence in their back garden, not the next few days where they barely move, and so they assume they're fine.
    Indeed, and exactly the case with my mum.

I think in those cases the person in question is intitled to incapacity benefit as opposed to the full disability benefit.
  • Options
    I think you'll find that people claiming for disability benefits go through an extremely thorough check before they receive a penny.

So how do people get away with claiming, yet are able to work?:confused:
  • Options
    Sofie wrote: »
    So how do people get away with claiming, yet are able to work?:confused:

How do you know they are able to work?
  • Options
    It is reported occasionally, the most recent one I can think of is the black-belt karate coach claiming incapacity while being completely fit.

It does happen, so how does it happen, if the process is so rigorous?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote: »

Bear in mind that, as has already been pointed out by two other posters, that the "provided house" is either temporary accomodation or a shared house. In a very dodgy area.

Can I ask you one question? Would you rather live here or here?

That is a poor point because not all council homes are high rise flats. A lot of high rises are being pulled down and a lot of council homes are actually pretty all right now. I've lived in two different high rises and that WAS shit but I've also been to a lot of council homes which are houses and are okay. And they are not all in very dodgy areas either.
  • Options
    In general though coucil house = dodgy area. I know that the dodgy places in my home town are also the places where there is a lot of coucil provided housing. There's a definite correlation.