Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Cost of things you buy/pay for

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'm interested to see the differences in prices people pay for stuff around the country/world.

I'm having an eye test on Saturday which would normally cost £27 :shocking: but I have a half price voucher from the internet (It's dolland and aitchison if anyone wants one).

How much do you pay for an average drink in a bar or club in your area?

I usually drink wine and if a small glass of white wine is much more than £3 I'm not usually impressed. In a club here drinks are about £4 minimum unless you have half a cider. When I used to go out there were drinks offers on but now there never are any..daft cos it means a lot of ppl just drink at home or in wetherspoons and don't drink once they are in a club. So they probably make less money in the long run.

The bus is £1.40 for a single ride.

How much would you pay for a meal out? I love eating out but can't really afford it so tend to go for set price lunch menus at about £15 maximum.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Preston is rather cheap but I'm a student so thats probably why!

Usually I'd be paying £1.50 for a double smirnoff and a mixer.

As for buses, singles are about £1.10 and a day ticket is about £3. Weekly tickets are about £10.

Taxi's are reallyreallyreally cheap here. I never pay more than £4 so thats about a quid each between me and my friends on a night out.

As for a meal, it depends really. For a single meal, I'd never pay more than a tenner. If it was a three course one, I probably wouldn't spend more than £25 and thats with drinks tbh.
    A weekly bus ticket for me is £11.90, but if I lived closer to town it would be £9.50.

There are a lot of restaurants in Newcastle all fighting for custom, and if I go in happy hour I get a kilo of mussels for about £7. A pint of ale is about £2.20, though my local does a 2-pint jug for £3.
    I have no idea how much anything costs - i'm terrible - I spent the last 10 years thinking that a pint cost £4 - but apparently they are cheaper than that - who knew I hardly go out to bars pubs anymore though. I would probably expect to pay about £3 for a small glass and £4.50 for a large glass of wine and about £12 - 15 for a bottle in a restaurant/bar.

In terms of going out for a meal - I would think £25 a head for a cheap one including wine and £80-100 for a posh dinner for two.
    My last eye-test at Spec Savers only cost £12.

I live in London, but mostly drink in Weatherspoons, so my idea of drinks prices is probably distorted - about £2.50 for a pint of lager or a glass of wine (less for ale), £3 for double spirit and mixer. Occasionally we go to a non-Weatherspoons pub in Uxbridge (the Metropolitan bar) which sells whole bottles of wine for about £5.50 :eek: (and the wine's actually quite drinkable). Busses are £1 or 80p for any distance on a single route with an Oyster Card, tube journeys from £1 within one zone or £3.50 from Zone 5 to 1. Off-peak day travel cards are around £6 (but £12 before 9.30!).

As far as meals are concerned, on average we pay £30-35 for 2 courses and wine for the both of us.
    A pint of lager: (around) £2.10
    A single bus fare: £1.30 (all day ticket: £2.50)
    Average price for a meal: £12 per head (but obviously depends where you go)
    PussyKatty wrote: »

I've had to pay more than that before I think. It has cost me anything to get from
    60p to £1.95 just to get from the hospital into town. And it only costs me 60p if it's past 3pm and the stupid bus driver won't charge me a child's single. (which is about £1)

Because I'm a student, I get my eye tests for free.

I have no idea how much drinks are. (not quite old enough yet)
    PussyKatty wrote: »
    I'm interested to see the differences in prices people pay for stuff around the country/world.

I'm having an eye test on Saturday which would normally cost £27 :shocking: but I have a half price voucher from the internet (It's dolland and aitchison if anyone wants one).

Mine are free, because of being a student, but I'm inclined to believe it's roughly the same here.
    How much do you pay for an average drink in a bar or club in your area?

Erm... wine, I couldn't tell you. The majority of my drinks are in the £3 - £4 area (alcopops, vodka and mixers... depends where I am) and a bottle of champagne in our most popular "nightclub" is £6. Any other drink I've bought I don't remember paying for.

Hmm... I rarely use the bus, but it's around the £1.10 mark from my house into town (a fifteen minute walk, at the most). Or at least it was when I last caught it into town. I took a half hour bus trip to another side of the town the other week for £1.90 though so I could be wrong.
    How much would you pay for a meal out?

Ermm.... £15-£20 per person maybe? If it's just me and the boyfriend however, we'll drive up to somewhere doing Two for Ones :D
    I had a full eye exam when applying to study ATC last month and after the subsidised amount I paid £50 for it. :p Full price was over £77. However, this was quite extensive, but still not too far from what I would have paid for a normal eye examination.

Large or small beer (I have no idea which it is, I don't drink) is about £4.

I'd pay £2.15 to take the bus one way (one exchange within the hour you paid included).

It costs me £11.50-ish to take a taxi back to where I live from downtown at night. :p Never take one during the day.
    I had an eye test the other day and paid £17.
    Bus into town is £1.60 but if I'm going to Newcastle I get a day ticket which is £5.
    In my town I pay £2 for a bottle of alcopop, about 95p for half a lager, JD and coke in 1 club is about £1.30 and about £1.80 in the other club. In Newcastle I pay over £3 for alcopops and about £1.10 for half a lager.
    Taxi back from Newcastle is about £35 and back from the area of my town I drink is about £5.
    I booked an eye test today and was told it would be free. Im not on any benefits and Im not a student, hmmmm :chin:
    Bus fare is £1.50 for a single £1.70 before 9am. £3 for an all day ticket or £3.20 before 9am. I just buy a monthly ticket for £49 which works out a lot cheaper. I only tend to drink spirits and mixers and thats about £2.50-£3.50 a drink depending on where you go. A meal is proabably £25 a head. Taxis from the centre of brighton to where I live are about £15. Which for five miles isnt that bad.
    Bus fare is £1.50 for a single £1.70 before 9am. d.

I missed the bus fare part and thought you meant drinks at the bar before 9am were that cheap. :thumb:
    Glittery wrote: »
    I booked an eye test today and was told it would be free. Im not on any benefits and Im not a student, hmmmm :chin:

Where was that at?

I think I need an eye test :|
    Most of the clubs I go in are about £8 a double + mixer...

Batteries about to die, but makes for a pricey night out...
    Sofie wrote: »

Because I'm a student, I get my eye tests for free.

just like to clarify it's not just because you're a student - i believe it's a student up until the age of 19 the same as with prescriptions? i'm a student (i'm 21) and i've been paying for my eye tests for a few years. there seems to be this annoying misconception that students get everything for nothing!
    Doesnt the HC1 form cover eye tests? I think all students can get those...

I'm not sure on this though because although I am a student, I'm also a lazy student and have not bothered to look into this.
    It's expensive in MK.
    A bus fare is £1.70 from my house to the city (2 miles).
    Not a clue how much a drink is, because I don't pay attention when we buy rounds.
    Taxis are expensive. From home to city, £4 to travel 2 miles. About £8 to get from home to college.
    Food is about £30 a head in most restaurants that aren't of the fast food variety.
    I get my eye tests free, because I have a complex prescription. I think they're about a tenner, but there's always a specsavers coupon in the local paper for eye tests for £7.50....
    Aren't eye tests the same price everywhere for big chains like specsavers? I've had one since I finished being a student, and it was free because I bought a pair of glasses.

Anyway, a bus to work (20 minute walk) is 95p or £1.60 return. A taxi home after a night out (a bit further) is about £4.00 from the rank, and £2.50 from a taxi office near all the clubs, after midnight of course, and about £2.00 before midnight. S'pose taxis are pretty cheap compared to most places, if you know which company to go with.

Drinks are quite expensive, since I've been used to Aberystwyth where everyone's students (£5.00 to get in, then £1.00 a drink for anything, and I mean premium spirits, pints, bottles, anything - you can get wasted on £20 in pretty much any pub in Aber). At home, other than Wetherspoons, you're looking at £2.60 a bottle of Corona or pint of Stella, or £2.00 a shot of smirnoff or house double, and not too many special offers really. This is just your standard yates' and the like, but there are some posher more expensive places that'll charge about £3 for a strong lager or bottle. And you're looking at your standard £2 for a burger and £1 for chips in the local kebab establishment.
    just like to clarify it's not just because you're a student - i believe it's a student up until the age of 19 the same as with prescriptions? i'm a student (i'm 21) and i've been paying for my eye tests for a few years. there seems to be this annoying misconception that students get everything for nothing!

Thanks for clearing that up. According to my prescription, it's only up to the age of 18 in full time education.

Just had a look at my prescription thing and it says HC2; not HC1.
    Where was that at?

I think I need an eye test :|
    I've just googled it and apparently eye tests are now free in Scotland so that explains it! http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/4865828.stm
    icey wrote: »

I'm not sure on this though because although I am a student, I'm also a lazy student and have not bothered to look into this.

The HC forms cover low income, which applies to some students but by no means all. So most students once they hit 19 will have to pay for prescriptions and eye tests etc.
    Round here I pay £1.20 for a single bus fare to uni, £1.50 to go into town.

The last taxi I got home was from town and cost me £7.20, but I don't often use taxis. I do live quite far away from the town centre though.

I haven't paid for an eyetest ever, so I wouldn't know how much they cost.

Drinks depends on when/where you go out. Usually a pint is £1.80, single vodka lime and soda £1.85, double £3.30, promotional nights its doubles and mixer for £2.

Meals out really depend on where you go.
    I think my eye tests are about £20, but I tend to pay for them/my glasses/my contacts together so they don't separate out completely.

Bus fares at uni are 50p with my uni card, I've never used a bus at home so wouldn't know.

A proper kebab (not a donner one) is between £3.50 and £4.50.
    i go to the cheapest places on purpose cos my wages are shit but

i usually pay €3 a pint on buy 1 get 1 free so about a pound

I only ever eat out at chineese thats €4 (2pound 67) for a main course, desert and 1/2 a bottle of wine (no guessing why i only ever eat out at the chineese)

i dunno how much an eye test costs but it cost €60 for a crown on your teeth
    and the bus is €1
    bus to town is £1.70 single
    taxi home from town is £15-£18
    eye tests are £20
    Pint is about £3
    Vodka and mixer about £2.70
    Glass of wine £2.50 - £3.00

As Moonarcanum said - It really depends on where you go in Oxford. Some places are dirt cheap others quite expensive. I have just given figures for the type of places that I go to.
    Bus into town (urm it is only like a 10min walk) is like £1.20 one way. Bus into the NEXT town is around £4 return, £3 return on the train.
    Taxi home from my town is like £4 before 12 ad £6 after. Dread to think how much it is from the NEXT town.
    Eye Tests no idea, never had one!
    Pint (dont drink pints and depends where you are) about £2.50-3 I would say
    WKD and such like £1.50 most places
    i had a burger and chips and a bottle of beer today at the local pub for lunch - £10.10! scandalous :eek: , going down soho now for a mate's leaving do, meal and club + travelcard = £40-50 easily, this is why i don't go out in london much :no: need a haircut tomorrow that's another £10, and whatever's left of the month's pay i'll probably blow next week in prague....and i thought drugs were expensive, sheesh.
    Bus to the city centre 75p, taxi around £3 but usually I walk anyway it's so close.

Things like drinks are hard to average, you could get slaughtered on a tenner in Newcastle city centre as there are so many trebles bars around. But the pubs I go to it's more like £2.50-£2.80 for a pint of good lager or ale. Double spirit and mixer would probably set you back around £4, depending on what it was.

As Kermit said you can get a meal incredibly cheaply as there are so many places vying for business, but I'd say when I eat out somewhere really nice with the fella we'd spend around £40-50 between us including drinks. Bit cheaper now I'm off the sauce, I suppose. Eating out with my pals we don't usually top a tenner a head - we know the cheap places, oh yeah! :D

Haven't had an eyetest in so long I couldn't say - but I did get a phonecall from Boots the other day offering me a free one. Not entirely sure why, was a bit out of the blue.
    It's very rare I eat out but the restaurant I was in a couple of weeks ago my meal cost £6.99 but I wasn't paying :D