Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Paris for the day?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
My sister is 30 next week and I was thinking of getting her day tickets on Eurostar to Paris.

Is it worth going there for the day?

I am under 26 so my ticket would be £49 and hers would be £59 if booked in advance.

We have both been before but that was more than 10 years ago.

I'm not sure if that's a good present or if she may just want something else for the money...help!
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I wouldnt reccomend going for just a day, at least half your day will be taken up with travel. Add in finding your way around and getting something to eat and you'd probably only end up with about an hour to do stuff.
  • Options
    If you're willing to make it a long day with an early trip over and a lateish trip back I can't see why not. Pick a couple things to do and have a nice french dinner sounds like a lovely bday present
  • Options
    maybe with an overnight in a hotel would be good, but youre talking about probably 4 hours or more travel each way otherwise.
  • Options
    4 hours?
    My sister lives in London BTW so we would be going from there.
  • Options
    maybe not 4 then. Its 2 from waterloo to Lille, and Paris is further than that, so maybe 3 hours each way?
  • Options
    Still, its an expensive day trip. If you're paying that kind of money to go I'd stop over in a cheap hotel somewhere and have two days to look around.
  • Options
    I went to Nice once for Lunch - it was quite good but we flew from Luton and had to get up so early and arrived back so late that we ended up staying the night in a hotel at the airport - so in reality we would have been better staying in Nice for the night - but it was fun.

If your going on the Eurostar then it takes about 2.5 hours to get to paris so if you get the 8.30 am train you will get there about midday - which isn't too bad (you'll need to get there for 8 to check in and so i'm guessing leaving the house at about 7) - you could probably get the last train home as well so have quite a while out in the evening.

I think it sounds like a good idea - but then i'm always doing random extravegant things like that.

Alternatively if one of you can drive then you could do a day trip to northern france on the ferry (and go 1st class) or eurotunnel - Calais isnt that exciting but the center of Boulogne is lovely or there are lots of nice places to visit. Plus overnight trips cost the same as day ones as well.