Home Home, Law & Money
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Distance Selling Regulations

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
The trading standards website states that:
The trader must give their name and a geographical address, not just a PO Box number, and not just their e-mail address. They must also fully describe the goods for sale and orders must be confirmed in writing.

I've just bought something from a website and not once does the trader give their address. I paid via Paypal (the only other option was a cheque) and they didn't even have an address listed for viewing on there.

I've spent quite a bit of money on this item and now I'm worried that it'll all go pear shaped.

I've emailed the company asking for an address (3 days ago now) and received no reply, not even an automated one.

Have I been daft? :(

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Well lots of small companies choose to use paypal/cheque payments as the cost of using a card system like Worldpay is quite hefty. As long as it is a company I think you can check its details on the companies house website. They should have a telephone number though, you could talk to trading standards to discuss it further.
    I've checked with Company House and they are not listed as a Company, even though they use Ltd after their name.

I'm really worried now.
    Reaching Us: If you need to reach us, please email us using the link on the store page, alternatively, you can call on Please use online support (International +44 Please use online support) or fax us on or write to us at Welcome to **** United Kingdom

Notice they've removed all of the details about how to contact them.

I thought you had to give an address to Paypal, but their address is simply showing as: Postal Address: No Address Provided and Customer Service Phone: +44 1183080250
    Sounds very dodgy I'm afraid, but if you've used PayPal you can always get the payment back using their complaints procedure.
    I got an email back with an address! They also gave me a link to their sister site which has their address and lots more contact information. I think the site I bought from is where they sell their stock which isn't doing as well as the other ranges they have.

I'm still a little bit unsure BUT at least I know where I can go should I have any real problems!