Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

Cjild Care Trainee Question

I'm currently studying CACHE Foundation Award. (which is the equivalent of NVQ Level 1) When I started my work placement, I was given a bit of paper about my code of conduct and what's expected of me.

One of the rules is that I can't take children to the toilet and can't be left alone in any way with them. (I'm not even allowed alone in the same room as them)

There's a child there who can be difficult to deal with and most of the time, I'm the only one who can get him to do do stuff like washing his hands and face and putting him to bed. A few times I've been asked to take him (alone) to the toilet to wash his hands. In one way, I felt slightly uncomfortable doing this, as I've still not been CBR checked.

I was talking to a few of the members of staff today and they all said that what one of the members of staff asks me to do is illegal. I then mentioned that once or twice I've been with a baby whilst all the children slept - I got told this was fine because technically I'm not 'alone' with the child - there's a big area for the babies and it's separated by a safety gate where all the cots, bedding and coats are kept. I know for a fact that the manager has seen me like this and I got told today by a member of staff that's alright because there's a member of staff near me.

My questions are, is what I said in my third paragrahp legal? I spoke to my mum earlier who says it's not and I am tempted to report this member of staff; as it didn't just happen once. Is it true that I need NVQ 2 (or similar) to be left alone with a child? (Totally on my own that is; not what I said in my last paragraph) If I was to report this member of staff, do I just talk to my manager or would I say something to Head office? There are loads of notices up around the nursery and one of them is about complaints, but I think this is aimed at complaints of parents and caers of children; not staff. Am I allowed to wash childrens hands if a quailified member of staff is in there with me? (I think I've done this a few times after lunch)
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    although that particular child is a dificult case, you have been alone with him and that's "against the rules", even with your best intentions. so if I were you I'd have a talk with your manager, hopefully they will know what to do about it :) I'm sure you wont be in trouble or anything, it's just to make sure the other staff dont ask you to do anything against the rules again.

I'm afraid I dont know anything about the various nvq levels so I cant answer that bit.
    I am doing my BTEC and we have similar rules, basically because you are not trained and qualified. The rule is there for your safety. If I was you, next time you were asked to do something such as toilet a child by yourself just say to the person "oh my college has told me I am not allowed to do that on my own, stupid college". Try and make a joke out of it but get your point across. Mabye suggest you carry on (reading the story) or whatever the other activity is and the member of staff deals with the little lad. Lets face it, he needs to get used to doing things for more than you, its not good for him to just depend on you!
    I think it's more that this certain member of staff relies on me to do stuff for him, rather than him relying on me to do stuff for him.

The child I'm talking about tends to bang his head if he's frustrated or can't get what he wants. (he does it for attention I guess) and I always get the blame if I don't stop him, but how on earth do I stop someone from doing something like that? The thing is, he's always knelt down on the floor when he does it and I'm not always down on the level he is. (like if I've had to go and put something in the bin or get something from another room)
    You are not responsible for him. Has he got some kind of special need? Is the issue being monitored? Are other professionals involved?
    I have no idea. it might be to do with stuff at home. (Basically, he's 3, he has an older brother & sister who are about 16 & 18. He gets attention when he wants it, but it's not like at nursery for obvious reasons)
    You should never be completely alone for any extended length of time with any child. It's got nothing to do with what level NVQ you've got, it's basic child protection.

Quick things like handwashing vary from organisation to organisation, as to whether you can or not. If you've been told not to then you shouldn't, it's that simple. You've been given your instructions and you need to follow them. It may be that not all the rest of the staff are aware of your limitations, so a comment like 'Sorry, the boss said I'm not allowed to, or college says I can't' may well do the trick.

It's not illegal, there's no law on this kind of stuff, but it's against 'good practise'.

I wouldn't have thought you need to report it or make a complaint as such, but you may need to mention it, probably to whoever gave you your code of conduct when you started, or your mentor if you have one. Just pointing out that you were initally told that you should never be alone with a child and now some members of staff are asking you to take a single child to wash their hands.

Just one last thing, having, or not having a CRB check shouldn't make any difference to your actions. Having a clear check doesn't make you immune from accusations.
    There are regulations and minimum trained staff:children regulations though, and surely you shouldn't even be there if you haven't had your CRB check back? If I were a parent of a child there I would be pretty upset. I agre with the others, if there's anything you know you aren't supposed to do, or that you're not sure about, or feel uncomfortable doing, you should just say you're not to do it, and give college as the excuse if it makes you feel more comfortable.
    I wouldn't have thought you need to report it or make a complaint as such, but you may need to mention it, probably to whoever gave you your code of conduct when you started, or your mentor if you have one. Just pointing out that you were initally told that you should never be alone with a child and now some members of staff are asking you to take a single child to wash their hands.

The member of staff who gave me that bit of paper has since left (she was the deputy) but I will mention it to the manager when I next see her.
    Or the replacement deputy.

Personally I don't think it's the kind of thing you need to kick up a huge fuss about but it does need clarifying and a chat with someone should be your first step.
    I think it's absolutely stupid. A friend of mine works at a school where two of her children attend. She isn't even allowed to help her own child on the toilet.

Her friends child always wee's on her skirt because she can't manage to sit on the seat and pull it out before she sits down and nothing can be done about this because the teachers aren't allowed to do that kinda thing :banghead:
    katralla wrote: »
    surely you shouldn't even be there if you haven't had your CRB check back?

Unfortunately it very rarely works out like that - both when I worked as a Student Ambassador at Bristol Uni and in my current post as an admin assistant in a secondary school, I started work before the CRB form was processed. Organisations just don't seem to have the time during the recruitment process to sort CRB out before the start date - it can take a few weeks. Dunno what the solution is....
    Meryn wrote: »
    Unfortunately it very rarely works out like that - both when I worked as a Student Ambassador at Bristol Uni and in my current post as an admin assistant in a secondary school, I started work before the CRB form was processed. Organisations just don't seem to have the time during the recruitment process to sort CRB out before the start date - it can take a few weeks. Dunno what the solution is....

I've worked in quite a few childcare settings and I've always had to have my CRB check back before I started work...this is in like 3 or 4 different places. I thought they have to have it back before you start? not sure.

And to Scary Monster up there ^ of course you're sometimes going to be on your own with a child for extended periods of time? My friends a childminder and can sometimes spend whole days with her children she looks after, without any other adults being there. and when I was a nursery nurse working in a day nursery, I worked in the baby room and as long as I had the recommended amount of babies (it was 3 to one qualified nursery nurse) i would be left on my own sometimes.

Sofie I can understand how you would be feeling slightly uncomfortable, I understand that you'd want to protect yourself from accusations or something like that, if you feel really uncomfortable about it I'd do what the others have said and say you cant do it, but blame it on college. Personally when I was training (i was doing the Cache Diploma in Childcare and Education, so Level 3) stuff like that would happen quite often, stuff like taking a child into the toilets to wash their hands but I guess I never thought about it, I certainly never thought 'omg I shouldnt be doing this'. maybe i should have.

I found my placements in day nurseries were worse for doing it than places like schools.
    I've worked in quite a few childcare settings and I've always had to have my CRB check back before I started work...this is in like 3 or 4 different places. I thought they have to have it back before you start? not sure.

Oh I'm pretty sure they're meant to. Maybe organisations are more vigilent when the work concerns younger children. My SA work involved holding talks and workshops for kids ages 13 and above, informing them about HE, and in my current role I don't really have any contact with the pupils. Bristol Uni did run workshops on child protection and health and safety issues as part of student ambassador training though.
    Just to clarify, I said alone with a child for extended periods of time, as in 1:1.

I don't know what the good practise if for childminders, that may be different but it's got to be tricky.

It is stupid in many situations, especially when your own children/family are involved but if you're working somewhere then you need to conform to the same rules and standards as everyone else otherwise it causes confusion and that's where the problems start.

While it seems stupid that this child wees on her skirt it is a little harsh to blame the teachers/rules. It would be asking for trouble to have a teacher go into the toilet with a child and assist it in using the toilet. It's a secluded place and the opportunity for an accusation if indecent assault would be huge. In that case the answer is more practise at home or wear trousers.
    squeal wrote: »
    I think it's absolutely stupid. A friend of mine works at a school where two of her children attend. She isn't even allowed to help her own child on the toilet.

That's just stupid.

I spoke to my tutor today. She decided to phone up and explain what I've said on here. Monday should be fun then...
    Just go in on monday and act as if nothing has happened, nothing HAS happened, there is just going to be a clarification of what you are and are not to do. I would really hope nobody would treat you any different for speaking up. I recon it'll be fine.
    I hope I don't get treated any different ot the way I am now. Ia slo hope that the person this involves doesn't find out aboout what I've said. (the manager has no idea who this involves; although she'll probably work it out sooner or later)