Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Caffeine

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I just tried a coffee... Well, I'm 23 and have never had a cup of coffee before and feel really wierd.

I mean I drink red bull and that doesn't bother me... But I feel a bit hyper and agitated.

Does this mean I'm caffiene intolerent?

Comments

• Options
    I thought Red Bull had more caffeine in it than a cup of coffee!
  • Options
    Congratulations :)
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »

Me too... Feel ill. :yuck:
  • Options
    Would you like your award in medal, or trophy form? :naughty:

Erm, yes. Coffee. It's strange one - especially a strange one to never have until you're in your 20's....
    how on earth have you managed to never have a cuppa coffee????
  • Options

'Cause it mings?!

Justathought...
  • Options
    Red bull doesnt do anything for me, i could drink a case and i dont think it would make me hyper.

I do drink about 5/6 cups of tea or coffee a day. Ive drunk tea since about 14, so maybe i have a high tolerence.

to the OP, you probably arent introlerant, just your body is not used to the way coffee works :)
  • Options

Erm, yes. Coffee. It's strange one - especially a strange one to never have until you're in your 20's....

Dunno... Never liked the smell.
  • Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    Franki wrote: »
    'Cause it mings?!

Justathought...
    I concur.
  • Options
    Coffe = :yuck:
    Smells good, tastes rank.

And stop being mean to Moonrat, she's only asking about the caffiene, not asking for a reward after drinking a cup of coffee!
  • Options
    I suspect it's just the normal effects of caffein, given you dont drink anything with it in very often :)

it is an aquired taste, I remember having milky coffee when I were a nipper! love the stuff now though, but try not to have it late at night...
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Namaste wrote: »
    Dunno... Never liked the smell.
    Agreed.
  • Options

I'm 20 and never had a cup of coffee. Or tea even. Just the smell of either makes me want to hurl. And once I accidently ate a coffee chocolate :yuck: :yuck: :yuck:
  • Options
    tea and coffee have different caffeine in them that's absorbed differently. coffee caffeine is better :D well, I think so anyway!
  • Options
    im 28 and have been drinking coffee for years and lots of it. 2 weeks ago I decided to try out decaff as I have noticed I dont sleep for long hours, the decaff tastes almost the same to me but I now always feel really tired even tho I am sleeping much longer and no longer get the turbo boost affect in the morning when I have my first mug. Next I will try semi decaff :)
  • Options
    lipsy wrote: »

:yes: - 1 cup of coffee contains about the same amount of caffeine as 1 can of coca cola. cause it depends on how many spoonfuls you put in your coffee?!!
  • Options
    Red Bull despite its marketing does not have a massive amount of caffiene in it, its only about 100mg, which is 3 times as much as a can of normal coke or about 2 and 1/4 cans of diet coke (the latter has more caffiene to make up for the lack of sugar).

In terms of caffiene content a mug of coffee can easily have more than a Red Bull, especially if you are drinking real coffee and not processed shite. A large latte at Starbucks for example is roughly about 500mg of caffiene.

As for caffiene though, its not as simple as it might seem, there are three slightly different types - tea, coffee and guaranna (sp?).
  • Options
    I have never found caffiene has any effect on me unless I go out and end up drinking shit loads of redbull.
  • Options
    JamesZero wrote: »
    I have never found caffiene has any effect on me unless I go out and end up drinking shit loads of redbull.

Same here, some people say that they can't go to sleep after having a cup of Coffee, I always have a cup of Coffee before bed.
    The only time I really noticed caffeine keeping me awake was when I was at work one night and I thought it was going to be a late shift until like 3am or something so I drank like 8 cans of Red Bull in a row from the bar at work and then at 11pm (about an hour after I'd drank the Red Bulls) my manager said I could go home.... So i went home and tried to fall asleep, and I really couldn't. I was wide awake and really hyper so spent hours on the net and playing video games.
  • Options
    pill 'ed wrote: »
    Same here, some people say that they can't go to sleep after having a cup of Coffee, I always have a cup of Coffee before bed.

Instant? The caffiene content of that foul muck can be very low.
  • Options
    Well I recently drank some normal coffee again after having decaff for a while and it tastes sort of too strong for me, but had to have it as I needed to stay awake for a delivery after been up all night. I always have instant nescafe not coffee you put in a coffee maker.
  • Options
    pompy wrote: »
    I always have instant nescafe not coffee you put in a coffee maker.

That's where you are going wrong.
  • Options
    budda wrote: »
    Instant? The caffiene content of that foul muck can be very low.

Sometimes instant when I'm too tired to bother making the real stuff. But otherwise it's always the real shit. Jamaican Blue Mountain :yum:
  • Options
    Caffeine in coffee always makes me really ill, whereas I can drink caffeinated tea no problem - so maybe the way the coffee is processed does something to the caffeine?? I.e - the caffeine in coffee is stronger than in coke, or tea, etc....
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I think it may just be everything else in coffee that makes you feel ill, rather than just the caffeine? I'm the opposite, I can't drink black tea, makes me throw up.
  • Options
    Caffeine wooooo! :lol: