Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.

could you walk around the USA in 3 months?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
What do you think?

Can't drive.

Getting a visa for long stay is a bitch.

So option is getting one of the 90 day waiver things.. You can get in and stay for 3 months as long as you dont stay over or work or summat.

I can't drive so driving around america is out.

could I walk it?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's a bit big...there is public transport in the US y'know. I'd greyhound or train it. Or even get internal flights, I got one from Vegas to NY for under £100.
    yeah tho I was warned off the greyhound buses.

are cheap internal flights tho? do u still get to see america? could u do it without blowing all ur money?
    warned off for what??

USA is a huge place it's probably better to just stick to seeing one or two places, it's impossible to see the whole country in one visit.
    greyhound buses.

I heard they werent good and only real nutters and drunks go on them.
    Doomsday wrote: »
    greyhound buses.

oh well, better not go on them in that case.

:rolleyes: :p
    Haha walk America?

Are you nuts!
    PussyKatty wrote: »
    oh well, better not go on them in that case.

:rolleyes: :p

sorry....

i did a thread about travel here before and someone on here said they were really bad so...
    haha, no chance.
    It's about 3,000 miles coast to coast. Just because Forrest Gump did it doesn't mean that it should be attempted.
    It's about 3,000 miles coast to coast. Just because Forrest Gump did it doesn't mean that it should be attempted.

Ah, but he ran.
    Go with someone who can drive! Sorted :p
    Whist you couldn't probably walk from coast to coast in that ammount of time - there are quite a lot of established walking trails - such as this one

But your not going to avoid public transport all togeather - it is a country made for the car afterall and its not going to kill you either. You could also consider the train - Amtrack is pretty good for getting between big towns - particually on the east coast.

You could also consider the green tortoise bus.
    You could maybe walk around a state, but the whole country? And why would you want to? In some states it's illegal to hitchhike, and if you're using the main interstates to walk, then you might get picked up. It'd probably be really unsafe as well, cause you'd be liable to have any and all the nutters making a pass at you.

Greyhound buses are fine. They're cheap, fast(ish), and leave from all major cities. They're not the most comfortable though, and you don't have any say in where you can get off.

Tbh, not being able to drive is gonna be a bitch, cause to get to all the major spots you generally need to drive. Are you going by yourself? Is there anyway you can go with someone who can drive? Cause that'll make the trip so much better. And as for money? The more you've got, the better basically.
    craig!

Ok!

Go to www.craigslist.com.
    Click on the U.S city you're in.
    See the "community" box in the top left hand corner?
    Click on RIDESHARE and behold the wonders within.

Loads of travellers just like yerself looking for
    cross continental companionship.
    I shared a car with a group of Swiss backpackers from NYC to Louisiana and all I hadda pay for was some gas here and there.
    Those guys are still my friends.

Do it!
    greyhound buses.

I read something on a thread on here saying that they were dodgy and full of dodgy people and stuff too, it put me off a bit but at the end of the day they are one of the cheapest ways to travel around America.

I went on loads it seems when i was travelling in america last summer and they were absolutely fine. didnt really see any dodgy looking or alcoholic people on there at all. few nutters like, but that happens on all public transport, even in england!
    you could walk around america FOR 3 months, but not walk around america IN three months.
    ahhhh.

Well I don't run or jog - unless its for a bus or summat. I can't drive so walking was the idea.

I mean has anyone ever done it before?

No, no1 that would go with me I am afraid.

I am unsure about oing with random people.

I got money tho, always cautious about blowing it mind.
    I travelled around the states in 2001, was awesome, but I was in a mini-bus. I'd second Anomie's idea about the Craig's list thing. You might be running around with randoms, but to be fair, it's probably safer than going by yourself.

If money is a worry for you, you should see how much you have for the trip, and then budget how much per week you can spend. How long are you planning on going for anyway? And do you have a rough plan as go where you wanna go?
    I don't know.

A holiday would be be some sort of pakcage deal I guess but travelling would be longer.

I'd love to go to LA, I have some distant family in florida that my nan is tyring to get me to stay with if I go over there, I talk to a girl in Texas over the net. New york is probably the easiest and cheapest place to get to. I have a fascination with the South and love the southern belle accent.

so as you can see, all over.
    If I was you I'd get a direct flight to LA, then go up the coast to San Francisco then across to Vegas/Grand Canyon,all by bus or train.

Then get an internal flight back to New York.
    ya reckon?
    I'd love to go to LA but flights are well dear there. Plus I miss out on the south and no free accom but thats not bad thing on the free accom except for my bank balance lol.

actually has anyone doen of of them STA travel bus things?

I looked into them but I didnt fancy sharing a room with a random dude and they seemd a bit expensive, lots of extra activites you have to pay for.
    ya reckon?
    I'd love to go to LA but flights are well dear there. Plus I miss out on the south and no free accom but thats not bad thing on the free accom except for my bank balance lol.

actually has anyone doen of of them STA travel bus things?

I looked into them but I didnt fancy sharing a room with a random dude and they seemd a bit expensive, lots of extra activites you have to pay for.

If you want to travel on a budget you will have to stay in hostels and share rooms with strangers.

Travelling to the USA is going to cost a lot of money! The only way I could afford to do it was because I worked on a summer camp and got paid. Oh and got a free flight to San Diego, via NY and LA.
    how did you get a free flight?

aye, tis a shame on the cost.

I wanna explore and do my thing and experince it but I want my space. Hence why I thought of walking around the place.
    whats the best way to get flights there?
    Dude, for God's sake - do some research on your own. Granted, this place is for advice etc. but don't expect us to do it all for you. We'll help you out but we're not going to do it all.

Cheap flights to the US
    I have done loads alreayd thank you very much but belive it or not I haven't gotton on to every website offering flight's holidays ect.

I figured that chances are some pople on here may have been on sites that I haven't gone one or even know about, hidden gems.

as you said this is an advice site, I asked for ADVICE.

Not to be gotten at thanks.
    Expedia, cheapflights, travelocity, orbitz and such can give you several flight options. You can also go to individual airlines websites. (Delta, Northwest, American, United...) You could also go to individual cities airports websites.

Lately I fly to my parents as opposed to driving because it can be cheaper (about 400 miles and a round trip I can find for around $110.)

As you have heard, grayhound is a scary disturbing thing. I knew 2 people who rode on it once and they were scarrd for life.

There is also the amtrack and I think I know of one other train thing but can't think of the name.
    I was so surprised at how little commuter rail there is in parts of the USA. I would have thought it'd be the logical long distance transport method, apart from flying. Americans tend to think driving 8 hours somewhere is alright though so I suppose they don't see the need for trains like we do.
    I used to drive 6 hours one way every couple of months for a weekend :p

I think trains seem more ridecelous. So much time wasted and you can't make any stops that you want. A 6 hour trip would take nearly all day. I can see the use of the metra or el, which is the trains that take you around chicago, or from the suburbs to the city, or maybe a luxury train ride for fun but not as a means of actual travel to go from city to city or state to state.
    my_name wrote: »
    Expedia, cheapflights, travelocity, orbitz and such can give you several flight options. You can also go to individual airlines websites. (Delta, Northwest, American, United...) You could also go to individual cities airports websites.

Lately I fly to my parents as opposed to driving because it can be cheaper (about 400 miles and a round trip I can find for around $110.)

As you have heard, grayhound is a scary disturbing thing. I knew 2 people who rode on it once and they were scarrd for life.

There is also the amtrack and I think I know of one other train thing but can't think of the name.

thank you my_name :)

so there is yay's for greyhound and nay's for greyhound.

I will look into it but I may end up going with a random person and getting flights through STA Travel.